Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Lonny said:
I've had a crush on this specific type of hat.

Its a fedora, with a tear drop bash, a pretty much up turned brim and a thin ribbon with a tiny little...button I guess holding the ribbon together, every time I see them I wonder if they have a specific name, I really love them!

Any help would be appreciated. :D
That little "button" is on a piece of cord called a wind cord. You use it to tie your hat to whatever you are wearing so that, in the event the wind takes it off your head, it doesn't blow away.

Lonny

One of the Regulars
Scott Wood said:
That little "button" is on a piece of cord called a wind cord. You use it to tie your hat to whatever you are wearing so that, in the event the wind takes it off your head, it doesn't blow away.

Thanks, Scott!
Do you happen to know what sort of hat I am talking about? As in, the style, if it does in fact have a style.

DragonJade

One of the Regulars
Fed IV sizing

I have a 57.5cm head. According to the Akubra website, I should order a 58, but states that the real size the hat is at is 57.5. Shouldn't I get a 59 to allow for shrinkage, since the 59 is actually a 58.5?

Thanks.

Chinaski

One Too Many
DragonJade said:
I have a 57.5cm head. According to the Akubra website, I should order a 58, but states that the real size the hat is at is 57.5. Shouldn't I get a 59 to allow for shrinkage, since the 59 is actually a 58.5?

Thanks.

I generally wear a 7 1/4 in US sizing. I ordered a 58 when I got an Akubra and it started out a bit big but snugged up to perfect within short order. Hope that helps.

DragonJade

One of the Regulars
Chinaski said:
I generally wear a 7 1/4 in US sizing. I ordered a 58 when I got an Akubra and it started out a bit big but snugged up to perfect within short order. Hope that helps.

Humm. I tried on some Borsalinos the other week at a hat store. The 7 seemed too small, and the 7 1/8 was a tad loose, but nothing a bit of padding wouldn't fix. Not sure if Borsalino uses the US or UK sizing. If it's US, that makes 7 1/8 a 57, if it's UK it's a 58.

The Borsalinos were very nice, but at US$600, not that nice.

DragonJade

One of the Regulars
I just remeasured myself, for the umpteen time. Looks like I'm actually closer to a 56.8 than a 57.5. Either I wasn't measuring tightly enough the first couple of dozen times I measured, or my head's shrunk in the last fortnight. :eusa_doh:

So, a 56.8 means getting a 57 Fed IV, which actually measures a 56.5.

AndrewGWU

Familiar Face
Wynewood Hat... Anyone heard of them?

I just purchased a Wynewood pork pie off the bay a couple days ago and received it today. Although it is a nice looking hat, I cannot find any information on the hat from a search of the forum. It came with a Champ box, but it is not the original box for the hat because it has a different size on the box label.

Can anyone provide any information about this hat brand? I am interested in finding out more.

AndrewGWU

Familiar Face
Pics

Sorry, didn't have any pics because I had just taken it out of the box when I posted this, but I have taken some now.

WynewoodHat001.jpg

WynewoodHat002.jpg

WynewoodHat003.jpg

Nik Feist

New in Town
Regarding symmetry...

OK, here's an inane question. One of my favorite fedoras has a loose pinch in the front that is actually perfectly centered, but for some reason the hat feels most natural turned slightly (maybe my head is crooked), which places the pinch about an inch off center when I'm wearing it.

I realize lids are worn in countless ways, angles, etc. but would this generally have been considered 'bad form' in the 40s? Or did it matter? (I'm kinda OCD...)

Corky

Practically Family
DragonJade, your tape has stretched...

DragonJade said:
I just remeasured myself, for the umpteen time. Looks like I'm actually closer to a 56.8 than a 57.5. Either I wasn't measuring tightly enough the first couple of dozen times I measured, or my head's shrunk in the last fortnight. :eusa_doh:

So, a 56.8 means getting a 57 Fed IV, which actually measures a 56.5.

DragonJade, your tape has stretched a bit from your pulling on it.

Get a new one and relax.

Enjoy your Fed IV, whatever size it is.

Corky

Practically Family
Nik Feist, I have one like that also...

Nik Feist said:
OK, here's an inane question. One of my favorite fedoras has a loose pinch in the front that is actually perfectly centered, but for some reason the hat feels most natural turned slightly (maybe my head is crooked), which places the pinch about an inch off center when I'm wearing it.

I realize lids are worn in countless ways, angles, etc. but would this generally have been considered 'bad form' in the 40s? Or did it matter? (I'm kinda OCD...)

Not an inane question, Nik Feist. I also have one like that. The problem with mine is that the sweatband is slightly off center, so that the little bow in the back is not at the center of my head. The pinch in front was slightly toward one eye.

I got out the teakettle and steamed the hat to an open crown and then put in a bash with the pinch moved slightly to a center point above my nose. The front of the brim now snapped down with a bit more of the swoop over one eye, but I found that this made the hat look more cool, so I left it untouched.

I don't know if this was considered 'bad form' in the '40s, but my hat looks somewhat like the ones we see worn by John Ford in old photos:

ford_full.jpg

Best of luck

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Classy Porkpie!

That's my favorite style ( I tend to reshape fedoras into porkpies if they will allow it :eek: ). I'm curious about the provenance, too. Some of the research gurus here will doubtless have heard of the name.

anyhow, nice score!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Now that's a sharp porkpie. Nice acquisition! I haven't ventured into porkpies yet, but personally, I wouldn't mind owning one or two in my (slowly) growing collection. Perhaps one stingy porkpie, and one wider brimmed one.

AndrewGWU

Familiar Face
Thanks guys, I had tried googling it and gave up figuring there were folks here with more information. However, I figure I can't go wrong for $10 plus $5 to ship it here!

It looks a little small on my head, I don't know if its just the pork pie shape. However, I really like it. It looks like new, couldn't have been worn much.

AndrewGWU

Familiar Face
Pork Pie

I still haven't been able to find out a lot about the Wynewood hat company, but I decided to wear the Wynewood hat out tonight and have fallen in love with it. It was a size smaller than I usually buy, but fit pretty well. My wife is not a huge fan of the pork pie style, but after tonight I think i will be wearing it often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ