Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DragonJade

One of the Regulars
Corky said:
DragonJade, your tape has stretched a bit from your pulling on it.

Get a new one and relax.

Enjoy your Fed IV, whatever size it is.

I just compared it to a ruler I have at home, and the tape is 3mm shorter at the 40cm mark than the ruler! :eusa_doh:

Off to buy a new tape tomorrow.

Joeyeah_right

New in Town
DragonJade said:
I just compared it to a ruler I have at home, and the tape is 3mm shorter at the 40cm mark than the ruler! :eusa_doh:

Off to buy a new tape tomorrow.

As for your FedIV - As long as you give your measurements to Hats Direct. Let them pick the right size for you as they know what they are doing.

Relax - It will all be good :)

When you get the hat it will seem too big, but the sizing tape will sort that out. Also, don't stick the sizing tape in using the sticky side as it may be an issue when you try to remove it when the sweatband shrinks a bit, just leave it tucked inside the sweatband without sticking it there and then it becomes easy to take it out when you need to :)

Dogface

New in Town
Just a question about Stetson X ratings

I have an OR which is marked 'Stetson 25' but has no X's on the sweatband. I see some/most marked 3x and they don't feel all that great...at least compared to my 25....which is buttery soft. What X rating would a 25 be equal to.... How much better is a 4x compared to a 3x....any perceptible difference ?

Thanks,

Mark

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Re: Just a question about Stetson X ratings

Dogface said:
I have an OR which is marked 'Stetson 25' but has no X's on the sweatband. I see some/most marked 3x and they don't feel all that great...at least compared to my 25....which is buttery soft. What X rating would a 25 be equal to.... How much better is a 4x compared to a 3x....any perceptible difference ?

Thanks,

Mark

X rated posts aren't allowed in the Fedora Lounge. lol

I crack myself up. :p

The subject of the Xs and what they mean has been discussed ad naseum around here. If you go to Beaver Brand Hats website they have a page on X ratings that says they are pretty meaningless nowadays and probably didn't mean much back in the day either. At one time they indicated the percentage of Beaver fur in the felt but what it actually meant could vary from hatter to hatter - Stetson's XXX might be different than Portis' or Knox's. Your Twenty-Five (a price indicator - 25 bucks) is probably of nicer quality than a XXX turned out in the same period.

$25 doesn't sound like much, but my dad went to work in 1949 right out of college (GI Bill - thanks, Mssrs. Roosevelt and Truman) for $60/week, the work week being 5.5 days. Take-home was probably close to $50, so one way to look at it is, in 1949/50 your hat cost an average working stiff half a weeks pay - now figure out how much that is in today's dough and the cost of a new Stetson doesn't look so bad, and a new custom is actually a very good deal.

DragonJade

One of the Regulars
Joeyeah_right said:
As for your FedIV - As long as you give your measurements to Hats Direct. Let them pick the right size for you as they know what they are doing.

Relax - It will all be good :)

When you get the hat it will seem too big, but the sizing tape will sort that out. Also, don't stick the sizing tape in using the sticky side as it may be an issue when you try to remove it when the sweatband shrinks a bit, just leave it tucked inside the sweatband without sticking it there and then it becomes easy to take it out when you need to :)

All good advice. Thanks. Hat is ordered, now the waiting game begins. :)

Bill Greene

One of the Regulars
Another "Help me Data my Hat" Question!

Would one of you fine people give me some idea of the date of this hat. I ask only because I've looked through some of the threads and don't see anything that completely resembles it...although I'm SURE it is there.

I found this Open Road in an antique store today. The man assures me it is the original box. Anyway, here's some photos, and thanks in advance for your time.

tn_IMG_0484.jpg

tn_IMG_0485.jpg

tn_IMG_0486.jpg

tn_IMG_0487.jpg

tn_IMG_0488.jpg

Again, I thank you.

Bill

The Lark

One of the Regulars
Any ideas which hat brand offers fur felt fedora in light gray (pearl, banker gray, silver belly) for under $200? Maybe somewhere around the $150 mark?

What do you think Art Fawcett would charge for such a hat?

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Art's customs are always $305, no matter what the customizations. All of his special editions are $305, also, with the exception of some of his porkpie designs, and the HST. They cost $225, and $355, respectively. These apply to his fur felts and Artlites; I'm not sure about his braided straws and panamas.

Chinaski

One Too Many
Can anyone explain how you turn a certain word or words of text within a post into a clickable link? You know what I mean? Like when Lefty writes "here" and you can click on the word here and it takes you to a specific URL.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Chinaski said:
Can anyone explain how you turn a certain word or words of text within a post into a clickable link? You know what I mean? Like when Lefty writes "here" and you can click on the word here and it takes you to a specific URL.
Another way to check that Chinaski is to quote a reply that has it and look at the way it is done [huh]

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bill Greene said:
Would one of you fine people give me some idea of the date of this hat.

In the photo, that's exactly the way I like to see those things blocked, myself. I see a lot of styles on this website in Open Road, but you have my preferred way to do it. You can wear that hat anywhere casual, and if it's a clean hat you might be able to use more formal clothes with it too. You have maxed out its potential there. I'm a big Open Road fan, and I know half the people who read this website are too.

The Lark

One of the Regulars
fluteplayer07 said:
Art's customs are always $305, no matter what the customizations.

Actually, Art offered me a quote of $225 plus shipping for a silver belly reproduction of that Johnny Depp hat (which is what I actually want). However, that still translates as $374 Australian dollars... plus shipping *gulp*.

*edit* - what the! The discrepancy between online currency converters is ridiculous! A different site is telling me it translates to $242 Australian dollars. That's a lot friendlier to my wallet.

Lloyd

A-List Customer
$225 is Art's price for a staple or rabbit felt hat. Not all colors are always available in beaver.
$305 is for beaver

Scott Wood

Practically Family
The Lark said:
Actually, Art offered me a quote of $225 plus shipping for a silver belly reproduction of that Johnny Depp hat (which is what I actually want). However, that still translates as $374 Australian dollars... plus shipping *gulp*.

*edit* - what the! The discrepancy between online currency converters is ridiculous! A different site is telling me it translates to $242 Australian dollars. That's a lot friendlier to my wallet.
242 aud sounds much closer to the truth...

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Lloyd said:
$225 is Art's price for a staple or rabbit felt hat. Not all colors are always available in beaver.
$305 is for beaver

Always wondered why a few were cheaper. Didn't know he did rabbit felt, either. Thanks for the info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko