Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hereward

One of the Regulars
Thanks Lefty. The girl who answered when I rang up to enquire after ribbon gave me some useful advice about this and I will make better notes when I go in to actually buy the ribbon.

kps

New in Town
Edmonds said:
Does anyone know what's up with the Biltmore Hat Company in Canada?. They have been out of service for over two months. Have they gone bankrupt again?

Biltmore closes doors while financing sought

Financing issues closed the doors of the Morris Street plant and factory outlet a couple of months ago. Owner Eric Lynes said he is trying to find financing to allow a downsized version of the company to move forward.

[...]

Lynes said he is not looking to sell the company. He said he has turned down a couple of offers from people over the years who basically wanted to by the Biltmore brand and move production to China or Honduras.

Lynes also said he had no plans for declaring bankruptcy.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Hereward said:
Thanks Lefty. The girl who answered when I rang up to enquire after ribbon gave me some useful advice about this and I will make better notes when I go in to actually buy the ribbon.

Please share the rest of this, Hereward!

Hereward

One of the Regulars
She told me to tack the ribbon in place and then steam it to ease out all the kinky bits and get a snug fit, and then to sew it properly.

strange hat guy

New in Town
i bought a hat for $1

can anyone give me some info on this hat please? i know its a dressage top hat its made of felt i think and its dark navy blue

photo.php

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Can you please use another method for the pictures? Many of us are not Facebook users, so we can't see them. And welcome to the Lounge!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It looks to be a very recently made hat. Of course, around here, that means that it was made within the last three decades.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I'm curious as to the differences and benefits of a Kangaroo sweatband. If this already exists, may one please point me to the correct thread? Thank you!

Cheers,

Docky

New in Town
Hi

i hope this is the right thread for my question.

I am from germany and i search for a long time for a authentic grey vintage teardrop fedora.

In german online stores and on the german ebay i only found hats with the wrong shape or with no/bad details

so my question is, maybe somebody know a german (or european) source for vintage hats.

thank you

(i hope my english is ok)

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Your English is just fine. There are quite a few Loungers in Germany. I'm sure that one of them will answer your question in short order. Meanwhile, welcome to the Lounge, Docky. ;)

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Hello Docky, welcome to the Lounge! :)

Sources for vintage hats in Germany...and good sources, too...

[huh] :( :eusa_doh:

Well, not that I know of any. Even here in Berlin the thrift stores usually only have late 60's/70's hats on offer. You know: the stingy brimmed, low crowned breed with a real good dose of crown taper to boot.

I always rely on the ebays, the US 'Bay in particular. I've scored a few nice lids on the German site as well, but most of my hats come from US sources.

Sorry that I can't be of any more help...

Mario said:

Well, not that I know of any. Even here in Berlin the thrift stores usually only have late 60's/70's hats on offer. You know: the stingy brimmed, low crowned breed with a real good dose of crown taper to boot.

I always rely on the ebays, the US 'Bay in particular. I've scored a few nice lids on the German site as well, but most of my hats come from US sources.

Actually there is a very good selection of old Toppers, Homburgs and Bowlers. The problem is old (40s and back) Fedoras.

Docky

New in Town
Mario said:

Thanks...

I found some good hats on the US ebay but i am afraid that the german customs controll will burn my hat or something like this lol (cause of the felt)

Markp

New in Town
Airline travel, hat protection

Flying home on Thursday with my new Borsalino that I bought on the trip. Since this is now my pride and joy, not to mention the most expensive hat I've ever purchased I want to get it home unscathed.

Should I hold it in my lap, wait until just before take off and find a safe place in the overhead bins or wear it for the entire flight?

What do you do in these cases? I do know I don't want to ball it up and shove it next to my carry on.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Markp said:
Flying home on Thursday with my new Borsalino that I bought on the trip. Since this is now my pride and joy, not to mention the most expensive hat I've ever purchased I want to get it home unscathed.

Should I hold it in my lap, wait until just before take off and find a safe place in the overhead bins or wear it for the entire flight?

What do you do in these cases? I do know I don't want to ball it up and shove it next to my carry on.
The only solution as far as I'm concerned is keep it on your lap. Don't wear it, and forget the overhead. If you put your hat there it's doomed. I've trekked my Borsalino across the world on my lap more than once, and it appreciated it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ