Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

D Gambini

New in Town
richman brothers hat

Hi,
new here and had a question

I have tried searching online but havent found much,
anyone familiar with Richman Brothers hats
I have one with a 2 inch Brim Super soft fur felt

Its called the South Gate model
I sent it off to Optimo for some work
anyone know about these hats ???

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
D Gambini said:
Hi,
new here and had a question

I have tried searching online but havent found much,
anyone familiar with Richman Brothers hats
I have one with a 2 inch Brim Super soft fur felt

Its called the South Gate model
I sent it off to Optimo for some work
anyone know about these hats ???

Welcome to the Lounge.

The RICHMAN BROTHERS CO. manufactured and sold middle-priced men's suits, furnishings, and hats; supplying a national network of stores from its 23-acre tailoring plant and offices at 1600 E. 55th St. in Cleveland, Ohio.

richmanbrothersvig.jpg

The Richman Brothers Company was established in Cleveland in 1879 and was known to have "The World's Greatest Clothing Factory." F.W. Woolworth & Co. purchased the Richman Brothers Company in 1969.

Southgate USA was an early shopping center that opened Ca. 1960 in the southern suburbs of Cleveland. Maybe that is the source for the name of your Richman Brothers model.

I bought a suit from Richman Brothers in the mid '50s at age 18. Good fit and wore like iron.

Judging from the 2 inch brim, I'd guess your hat dates from the same period, i.e., mid to late 50's.

Glad to have you with us,

JC

New in Town
I have a question concerning water protection.

I just received my fur felt Dobbs fedora, and am curious to know whether or not you guys recommend using some form of "waterproof" agent to protect your hats?

JC said:
I have a question concerning water protection.

I just received my fur felt Dobbs fedora, and am curious to know whether or not you guys recommend using some form of "waterproof" agent to protect your hats?
Some hatters add something in the construction. For mine, I don't add a thing. The animals don't add anything to their fur so why should I? Welcome...

D Gambini

New in Town
Dry Leather Sweatband

What is the best thing to do for a leather sweatband that is dried out and has some small cracks in it?

any conditioner i can try?
its a panama hat

CRH

Call Me a Cab
swaviator said:
When were the Stetson Medalist manufactured?

So far it looks like 1940's for the Medalist lids, both felts and straws.

There is an auction on for a boater claimed to be 1929 but Dinerman has helped me debunk it. It's a '40s lid. I'll post the story when the auction is over.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
CRH said:
So far it looks like 1940's for the Medalist lids, both felts and straws.

There is an auction on for a boater claimed to be 1929 but Dinerman has helped me debunk it. It's a '40s lid. I'll post the story when the auction is over.

Here is the '40s Medalist boater.

It's clearly '40s by the size tag. The 1929 claim was from a copyright date on the sweatband logo. Thanks to Dinerman for clarifying this to me.

Drij

New in Town
Long shot question, but would anyone know which company made this hat?
It was made grandfathers, circa post WWII 1940's. The label only says "М. Київ" which means Kiev, Ukraine.

sidetn.jpg

insidext.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mac Lachlan

Here's one for you. About twenty years ago at an antique store I bought a green fedora with brim size 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 (I'm still not sure what is the definitive measurement) that says "Mac Lachlan," Hatmakers, made in USA, established 1907, with a coat of arms and Latin motto. My local hat man said it looked like a hat from the 1960s. Does anyone know Mac Lachlan, and approximate dates of their fare?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Very high end. Run a search and you'll find a lot. Without photos, no one can give you a date.

buler

I'll Lock Up
danofarlington said:
Here's one for you. About twenty years ago at an antique store I bought a green fedora with brim size 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 (I'm still not sure what is the definitive measurement) that says "Mac Lachlan," Hatmakers, made in USA, established 1907, with a coat of arms and Latin motto. My local hat man said it looked like a hat from the 1960s. Does anyone know Mac Lachlan, and approximate dates of their fare?

MacLachlanThread

B

Edipbear

New in Town
Hat/cap-survey

Hey, Im doing a survey for my hostcompany here at Jönköping International Business School, for my marketing course.

Do you have any ideas how I can make members here anticipate to do my survey?

Great site, luv it!

Regards Edip

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Edipbear said:
Hey, Im doing a survey for my hostcompany here at Jönköping International Business School, for my marketing course.

Do you have any ideas how I can make members here anticipate to do my survey?

Great site, luv it!

Regards Edip
Well, you could promise a free hat to everyone who responds.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Drij said:
Long shot question, but would anyone know which company made this hat?
It was made grandfathers, circa post WWII 1940's. The label only says "М. Київ" which means Kiev, Ukraine.

sidetn.jpg

insidext.jpg

I really can't help you with the maker but would just like to say that this looks like a beautiful hat. And what a rare beast it is! 1940's Soviet longhair fedora...wow! Gotta love that pleated liner too. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

What color is it exactly? It's hard to make out here from the photo. Looks like gray, but there could be some green touch to it. The ribbon seems to have something reddish about it. And those huge stitches on the sweat are...well...breathtaking... :eek: :D

Anyway- lovely hat! :)

Drij

New in Town
Mario said:
I really can't help you with the maker but would just like to say that this looks like a beautiful hat. And what a rare beast it is! 1940's Soviet longhair fedora...wow! Gotta love that pleated liner too. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

What color is it exactly? It's hard to make out here from the photo. Looks like gray, but there could be some green touch to it. The ribbon seems to have something reddish about it. And those huge stitches on the sweat are...well...breathtaking... :eek: :D

Anyway- lovely hat! :)

The hat is gray, the ribbon has more of a blueish tint to it.
Like I said, it was my grandfathers so I'm guessing it's from the late 1940's before he came to Canada. I also have his brown Biltmore pork pie and a black Bittner Original Ischler trilby from Austria.

I guess another question would be, can you buy Bittner Original Ischler hats in Canada?

Drij said:
The hat is gray, the ribbon has more of a blueish tint to it.
Like I said, it was my grandfathers so I'm guessing it's from the late 1940's before he came to Canada. I also have his brown Biltmore pork pie and a black Bittner Original Ischler trilby from Austria.

I guess another question would be, can you buy Bittner Original Ischler hats in Canada?

Wow that is a rare hat (at least in these parts)! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Does it have a paper label behind the sweatband? Would like to see more photos behind the sweat if possible (stitched liner? sweatband material - construction, ect).

Bittner is well known for Trachten style hats. It is possible someone in Cananda was selling them or made a special order. Can you please post some pictures in the German - Austrian thread?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko