Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

KevKaos59

Familiar Face
I wrote about this hat in another thread, but I bought a reconfigured and brim cut western 5X fur felt hat. I think it looks a lot like the Open Road. Problem is that the crown looks way to tall for me. The hat has a crown which is higher in the front than in the back, and has a really nice teardrop crown with a pinched front. I basically love everything about this hat except for the stiffness and the height of the crown. Makes my slender face look like a stovepipe. It has been suggested that I could probably reshape the crown, and knock the height down a bit. As a side note, I think the skinny ribbon leaves to much of the body exposed, and I may need a wider ribbon put on.

So anyway, I think I am going to try my hand at reshaping since this is not a vintage hat. I have been told that if I want to lose some of the stiffener, I should soak the hat in distilled water but dont get the leather brim wet or it will shrink. How do you guys do that? Just dunk the body part of the hat? Or do you spray it with a spray bottle? I know that many use denatured alcohol during reshaping, but that doesn't remove the stiffener, just allows it to be pliable. Should I use that technique first for reshaping and then worry about softening the body either on purpose, or say wearing in a rainstorm? I always read about people dunking and washing their vintage hats in water and woolite, but how do you do that without getting the band wet? My problem is that I keep reading snippets of how to do these things, but not all together putting the pieces together for a good understanding. I figure I will learn on this hat rather than one of the vintage hats that already has little to no stiffness left.

Drij

New in Town
mayserwegener said:
Wow that is a rare hat (at least in these parts)! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Does it have a paper label behind the sweatband? Would like to see more photos behind the sweat if possible (stitched liner? sweatband material - construction, ect).

Bittner is well known for Trachten style hats. It is possible someone in Cananda was selling them or made a special order. Can you please post some pictures in the German - Austrian thread?

I posted some pictures in the German - Austrian thread.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=1013657#post1013657

KevKaos59 said:
...So anyway, I think I am going to try my hand at reshaping since this is not a vintage hat. I have been told that if I want to lose some of the stiffener, I should soak the hat in distilled water but dont get the leather brim wet or it will shrink. How do you guys do that? Just dunk the body part of the hat? Or do you spray it with a spray bottle? I know that many use denatured alcohol during reshaping, but that doesn't remove the stiffener, just allows it to be pliable. Should I use that technique first for reshaping and then worry about softening the body either on purpose, or say wearing in a rainstorm? I always read about people dunking and washing their vintage hats in water and woolite, but how do you do that without getting the band wet? My problem is that I keep reading snippets of how to do these things, but not all together putting the pieces together for a good understanding. I figure I will learn on this hat rather than one of the vintage hats that already has little to no stiffness left.
Soaking in distilled water will temporarily soften for shaping.
You don't want to soak the SWEATBAND since it is leather & leather shrinks some when it dries.
Denatured alcohol will break down the shellac some & give a little permanent softening. I use water for shaping the hat.
Steaming will soften the felt for shaping, since it is water in another state but will also reactivate shellac in the felt & come back stiffer when dried.
Water does nothing to the shellac like alcohol. I use it for doing major shape over hauls & steam for touch ups.
Best way to isolate the sweatband is turn it inside out so it pokes out of the crown & try not to dunk too deep.
Woolite is a good, mild detergent that I have used on cleaning liners, never used on felt.
I have soaked felt in naptha for serious cleaning with so-so results.
HTH

KevKaos59

Familiar Face
Ok, that it kind of what I have been picking up here and there, so it was good to see it all together like that for confirmation. I think I am going to try my hand at reshaping the crown on this cut-down western, and now I have some idea how to attack it. I guess if i screw it up I can always send it out for reshaping by a pro. Thanks for the info.

luvhatz

New in Town
Knox Hats

Hi all, this is my first post.
I have recently started to get a little more serious about collecting hats, and one my first is a Knox Twenty. I want to find out more about the company and if the line still exists. I've been reading the very helpful posts regarding Knox hats, but it seems that the history from the 60's to present day is missing. I went to the Levine Hats website from a tip I found on The Fedora Lounge (thank you!), and they still actually sell Knox hats, to my surprise. They are the only website I've seen that does so; they only have 5 styles to choose from. My question is 4-part; what happened to Knox hats after Hatco, where are they now, who is making them, and who else is selling them?
Any info much appreciated.
Cheers.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was just down at Lammles (western shop) and they have some 6X Stetsons on sale for $160(Canadian). For thoes in the know, is this a good hat or should I be looking at another Akubra for that kind of price?
Johnny

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
luvhatz said:
Hi all, this is my first post.
I have recently started to get a little more serious about collecting hats, and one my first is a Knox Twenty. I want to find out more about the company and if the line still exists. I've been reading the very helpful posts regarding Knox hats, but it seems that the history from the 60's to present day is missing. I went to the Levine Hats website from a tip I found on The Fedora Lounge (thank you!), and they still actually sell Knox hats, to my surprise. They are the only website I've seen that does so; they only have 5 styles to choose from. My question is 4-part; what happened to Knox hats after Hatco, where are they now, who is making them, and who else is selling them?
Any info much appreciated.
Cheers.

Welcome! I'm sure that's a very fine hat you acquired there. Would you mind posting a couple pics for all of us to see?

Though not a direct answer to your question, the link in this thread has some interesting stuff on the history of the company. And this thread discusses the Knox hats at Levine. Be cautious buying a hat from any of the 'revived' classic names. They are mostly without substance; merely a shadow of what they were in years past, floating on a long expired reputation. Not sayin' that modern hats are bad, just that you generally get more for your money from vintage hats.

Cheers,

the dude79

New in Town
Question

Good evening ladies and gentlemen,

About five years ago, I'm 31, I rekindled my love of fedora hats, thank you Johnny Depp, and since I have acquired a few beautiful ones that have become like my right arm. Anyway, I managed to get a couple medium grey ones and am still looking for a dark(dark steel, or charcoal)grey fedora , like his brown one with the wide-cord and the under welted edge, NOT the Open Road.http://cinematicpassions.wordpress....-most-handsome-hollywood-men-as-of-right-now/. I have been looking for one like that in a DARK grey, OR possibly with a shimmer of sliver but not silver belly. I would want it to have a 2 1/2" brim and tear drop crown. I know I'm picky. Oh, and preferably in fur-felt.
I have looked around and found two places online that could possibly do that. One is http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=167&subcname=Felt+Hats
url]. Now, I realize what I'm looking for would be quite expensive but I look at it as a lifetime investment. I really don't mean to write an essay here but I'm just hoping for some other ideas and possible opinions, if anyone has used them, on the two posted. Anyway, thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to any advice I get. By the way, I have gone the eBay route and it's kind of a crap shoot. Thanks again.

danofarlington

the dude79 said:
Good evening ladies and gentlemen,

About five years ago, I'm 31, I rekindled my love of fedora hats, thank you Johnny Depp, and since I have acquired a few beautiful ones that have become like my right arm. Anyway, I managed to get a couple medium grey ones and am still looking for a dark(dark steel, or charcoal)grey fedora , like his brown one with the wide-cord and the under welted edge, NOT the Open Road.http://cinematicpassions.wordpress....-most-handsome-hollywood-men-as-of-right-now/. I have been looking for one like that in a DARK grey, OR possibly with a shimmer of sliver but not silver belly. I would want it to have a 2 1/2" brim and tear drop crown. I know I'm picky. Oh, and preferably in fur-felt.
I have looked around and found two places online that could possibly do that. One is http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=167&subcname=Felt+Hats and the other is [url]http://www.thefedorastore.com/TheFedoraStore-Center-Dent-Fedora-Hat-p/e1541.html[/url]. Now, I realize what I'm looking for would be quite expensive but I look at it as a lifetime investment. I really don't mean to write an essay here but I'm just hoping for some other ideas and possible opinions, if anyone has used them, on the two posted. Anyway, thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to any advice I get. By the way, I have gone the eBay route and it's kind of a crap shoot. Thanks again.[/QUOTE]
One website I've been looking at lately is RMR Hats in Italy. They have lots of fedoras--many more than American retailers it seems--and one has a dark gray ("carbon gray") that I hope to get sometime in the next few months

[url]http://www.rmr-hats.com/Hermes-70-Hat-82-1-0.html[/url]
that one has a larger brim size than you specified, but that's why I wanted it, and all the rest of their hats have smaller brims. You should see that color of dark gray. I've got to go for that at some point. I have another dark gray in the queue before then, costing more from someplace else, but someday.

General website [url]www.rmr-hats.com[/url]

keox11

Familiar Face
Johnny Depp Hat ???

Hello everyone !

I am new, I come from Paris and I'm looking for a short time to vintage hats.

There is a hat that I'd like to find but I can not find. This is Johnny Depp's hat brown.

Some told me it was a "Borsalino Alessandria" and others tell me it is a "Stetson Stratoliner"!

Here's the link: http://www.johnnydepp-zone.com/deppartment/catcflosangeles.php

Does anyone experienced knows what it is?

Also, I found sites that sell the "Borsalino Alessandria, but the problem is that they sell with brim edges not wide enough for me! (2-1/2 inch):

http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=249&subcname=Felt+Hats

Other sites offer it as a replica or the Fedora Caliqo Store:

http://www.caliqo.com/
http://www.thefedorastore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=E1541-depp&CartID=1

I want a size of 2-7/8 inch brim which corresponds to 7.3 cm wide enough then:)

Does someone could help me in my research?

Sincerely.

Ps: sorry for spelling mistakes!

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I have several hats in this style made by Borsalino and Stetson. I personally think that the one in the photos you provide is a Borsalino Alessandria. ;)

Welcome to the Lounge!

keox11

Familiar Face
zetwal thank you!

I think that currently the "borsalino alessandria" comes with a 2-1/2 inch brim on the Internet.

Do you know where I can find a "borsalino alessandria" with a 2-7/8 inch brim about?

In Paris, there is not much in terms of hat (

danofarlington

zetwal said:
Alessandria brim sizes change a little bit from year to year (and possibly from store to store). Borsalino has made this style for many decades on end and I've seen the same hat run anywhere from 2.25 to 3 inches. I think there's a chance that you could actually order one with the brim you want. But I don't know that for certain. Maybe besdor could chime in on that point. As many here will point out, other brands that may meet your needs are also available. What size are you anyway?
I do not believe that Borsalino caters to individual orders. I had Village Hat Shop ask the U.S. Borsalino guy Guiseppe about that five years ago and the answer was no.

keox11

Familiar Face
my size is: 7 1 / 2 or 7 5 / 8 (60 or 61 cm). I always take a size larger because my hair grows very fast:)

PS: thank you for the info gtdean48! Do you know where I can find the same style Campdraft Akubra hat that Johnny Depp?

keox11

Familiar Face
gtdean48 said:
Everything Australian = http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/displayproduct.asp?page=2
They are only place I have purchased a Mid-Brown Campdraft.
They come open crown so don't let the crease in the photo scare you.

Whoa
These hats are nice Australian! it is true that the shape of the crown is scary:) but Brims are rather large!
I went on a site that customizes your hat as you wish. Their creations are interesting! I sent them an email to see if they could make the same hat that Johnny Depp is. I do not know their rates.

here is the website:
http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/index.htm

keox11

Familiar Face
gtdean48 said:
Art builds the hat to your specifications, total custom piece of work. He can give you an estimate based on description. It'll be 100% beaver, exactly as you & he agree & well worth the price.

I hope that with the pictures, videos of the hat, they will not go wrong in the manufacture!

Not being an expert in the specifications of hats, I can not give them all the characteristics of the hat to Johnny Depp! Even the brim of 2 7 / 8 is an estimate on my part;)

The question is whether it is possible, just by looking at photos, complete all the main features of the hat to make it ... ?

if the price is affordable, I am ready to pay for a hat that I love!

We don't call them "Works of Art" only because his name is Art! Artist or Artisan, he is one. Actually, both apply to the man & what he does with felt & ribbon. There are others out there that can do one up for you as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot