Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
keox11 said:
I hope that with the pictures, videos of the hat, they will not go wrong in the manufacture!

Not being an expert in the specifications of hats, I can not give them all the characteristics of the hat to Johnny Depp! Even the brim of 2 7 / 8 is an estimate on my part;)

The question is whether it is possible, just by looking at photos, complete all the main features of the hat to make it ... ?

if the price is affordable, I am ready to pay for a hat that I love!
In my opinion, it is best to embark on a hat purchase, whether custom-made or off the shelf, expecting it to be the first installment in a series of hats. One cannot roll everything he wants into one hat. You'll find it's good for some things, not so good for others. The only solution then is to eventually get another hat.

Then another.

Then another.

Then...

keox11

Familiar Face
danofarlington said:
In my opinion, it is best to embark on a hat purchase, whether custom-made or off the shelf, expecting it to be the first installment in a series of hats. One cannot roll everything he wants into one hat. You'll find it's good for some things, not so good for others. The only solution then is to eventually get another hat.

Then another.

Then another.

Then...

lol that s right !

I have already four hat in Paris and then when I saw the vintage hats that Stetson borsalino or factory, I told myself that there must be a cool vintage hat that lasts over time.

The advantage is having a cap that not many people have!

Maybe after, I would take another with another color ... etc.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
In response to post #734...

Yes, he can. Easily, too. Art is amazing, and I've seen hats created by him from solely pictures and requests, to an order consisting of, "I want this color; make me something you think I'll like" I have one on order, and am planning on letting him have a lot of room to work with on it. Basically, 'I want Blue Smoke as the color, tell me when it's done'. ;)

Art is not what the uninitiated would call cheap. But anyone as knowledgeable in hats knows, he's just about the cheapest out there for a 100% Beaver, custom made hat, usually at around $300. And amazing customer service, to boot.

Optimo of Chicago is also very good, but they are twice as much. They are as skilled as Art, and I hear going to the shop is like nothing else. But $600 is a lot of money for a hat; even more than what I'd willingly shell out.

Tonyb is another custom hatter. He's a great guy, and everything I've heard about him has been positive. I know $275 is his base price, with presumably more for a 100%.

Gary White is at a similar price point as Optimo, from what I've heard. He's supposed to do mighty fine work, too.

Major Moore at Buckaroo Hatters does a lot of western work, and should be able to do what you want, no problem. I think he's at around $400 for a Beaver, but don't quote me.

Any of these gentlemen, among others, can do what you request; a custom hat based off of pictures, a theme or motif, or even just a couple of suggestions. And they add something to it even the largest factory cannot; a passion for making the customer feel right at home with a hat that is specifically his own.

keox11

Familiar Face
fluteplayer07 said:
In response to post #734...

Yes, he can. Easily, too. Art is amazing, and I've seen hats created by him from solely pictures and requests, to an order consisting of, "I want this color; make me something you think I'll like" I have one on order, and am planning on letting him have a lot of room to work with on it. Basically, 'I want Blue Smoke as the color, tell me when it's done'. ;)

Art is not what the uninitiated would call cheap. But anyone as knowledgeable in hats knows, he's just about the cheapest out there for a 100% Beaver, custom made hat, usually at around $300. And amazing customer service, to boot.

Optimo of Chicago is also very good, but they are twice as much. They are as skilled as Art, and I hear going to the shop is like nothing else. But $600 is a lot of money for a hat; even more than what I'd willingly shell out.

Tonyb is another custom hatter. He's a great guy, and everything I've heard about him has been positive. I know $275 is his base price, with presumably more for a 100%.

Gary White is at a similar price point as Optimo, from what I've heard. He's supposed to do mighty fine work, too.

Major Moore at Buckaroo Hatters does a lot of western work, and should be able to do what you want, no problem. I think he's at around $400 for a Beaver, but don't quote me.

Any of these gentlemen, among others, can do what you request; a custom hat based off of pictures, a theme or motif, or even just a couple of suggestions. And they add something to it even the largest factory cannot; a passion for making the customer feel right at home with a hat that is specifically his own.

thank you for the information on the creators of custom hat! artists seem passionate beings! and passion often makes miracles:)

Have you ever ordered a hat from one of these artists?

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I've got one by Major Moore & it's a fantastic hat. My Buckaroo hat was a gift, so I haven't actually ordered one custom made by him, but I've had some refurb work done by him and he's a great guy to deal with. We've got a thread called Buckaroo Bonanza just for the Major's hats. Give me a second and I'll dig up a link.

Edited to add: Here's the Buckaroo Bonanza. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=36182

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
The Blue Smoke I mentioned, but I'm still on the waiting list. I also own a secondhand Optimo (or more specifically, I bought it as a present for my father's birthday). I also have a straw that was refurbished by Optimo before I purchased it. Both are amazing. I've spoken with Tony on the phone; he's very knowledgeable, and kind. I've exchanged emails with Art, but haven't had the opportunity to chat with him on the phone yet on the details.

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Brim sizes

keox11 you might want to rethink your desired brim size.
You say you want a 2 7/8 brim but you seem to think a campdraft brim is too big for what it's worth my campdraft has a 2 7/8 brim.

Allow me to throw my vote in the ring for the Vintage Silhouettes Art option. Art is better than anyone I know for looking at a picture of a hat and discerning the proper dimensions.

Grunion Grady

New in Town
Crown height

Hi, sorry to butt in; I am new here, but I love hats and I don't wear mine outside, because people will think I am weird. I would have liked to read every thread, but it is long. I have pith helmet, fez, two Panamas, a couple of fedoras (one is a Borsalino Allesandro), etc. But:
If you watch old movies, you may notice that the fedoras men wore in the 1930's and '40's have a much higher crown than anything available today. I find this frustrating. The proportion of face-to-crown is important. I had a neighbor, from Ecuador, bring me back a Panama, but the crown is short and it looks silly. I think the crown should be face-length. They even made cars with high ceilings to accommodate the high hats. It's an aesthetic thing. What do you think?

keox11

Familiar Face
Lloyd said:
keox11 you might want to rethink your desired brim size.
You say you want a 2 7/8 brim but you seem to think a campdraft brim is too big for what it's worth my campdraft has a 2 7/8 brim.

Allow me to throw my vote in the ring for the Vintage Silhouettes Art option. Art is better than anyone I know for looking at a picture of a hat and discerning the proper dimensions.

yes, I'm sharing with the guy who works at vintage silhouette. He said he could duplicate this hat for me. He says it's a Borsalino Alessandria. After he speaks of manufacturing conditions and the general price 305 U.S. ...

I sent another mail to know if he could recognize the dimensions of the hat (brim size, crown height ... etc.) from photos and video that I sent! He has not responded yet!

Here Is The link to the pictures of the hat with Several angles:
http://www.johnnydepp-zone.com/deppartment/catcflosangeles.php

Here's a video of the hat:
http://www.youtube.com/user/keox75011 # p/f/5/Wn_T6HRf8_Y

Do you think of the photos, what are the dimensions of this hat???

keox11

Familiar Face
gtdean48 said:
I'd go with 5 1/2" crown with 2 3/4" brim. The brim looks wider because he is wearing a hat that is too big for his head. Look at the gap between his head & the sweatband.

yes, as I thought I also believe that wearing a hat too big for him with a size above.
I doubt that the brim size is 2 1 / 2 because if the size of the crown is 5 1 / 2, 2 x brim size = crown. And if you look at the pictures, x 2 = size brim over the crown! that is why i think the brim size is 2 7/8...

ps: the crown = the size of the height of the hat???

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Grunion Grady said:
Hi, sorry to butt in; I am new here, but I love hats and I don't wear mine outside, because people will think I am weird. I would have liked to read every thread, but it is long. I have pith helmet, fez, two Panamas, a couple of fedoras (one is a Borsalino Allesandro), etc. But:
If you watch old movies, you may notice that the fedoras men wore in the 1930's and '40's have a much higher crown than anything available today. I find this frustrating. The proportion of face-to-crown is important. I had a neighbor, from Ecuador, bring me back a Panama, but the crown is short and it looks silly. I think the crown should be face-length. They even made cars with high ceilings to accommodate the high hats. It's an aesthetic thing. What do you think?
I'm not sure I'd wear the fez or pith helmet outside either, good decision. Re the high crowns in the old movies--that's definitely true. You can buy either high crowns or low now; an Indiana Jones hat is an example of an old-fashioned high-crowned hat. Not all new hats have low crowns. Personally I tend to like lower crowns better, except for my vintage Stetson Open Road. Crown size is like brim size--all you have to do is pay attention to the dimensions and select what you like. EBay is good for old fashioned high crown hats, all you want.

keox11 said:
...ps: the crown = the size of the height of the hat???
The crown height is if the crown of the hat was shaped like a dome, what would be the highest point in the middle measured from the brim break. That is called "open crown" shape. You then crease it to get a front pinch or whatever style you desire. Look at threads about tear drop, diamond, center dent, etc.
Looking at Depp's lid, I think my vintage Borsalino is the same style but mine is of a color called muflone, Italian for some breed of mountain sheep. I'll have to get it out & measure it exactly.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
keox11 said:
Hello everyone !

I am new, I come from Paris and I'm looking for a short time to vintage hats.

There is a hat that I'd like to find but I can not find. This is Johnny Depp's hat brown.

Some told me it was a "Borsalino Alessandria" and others tell me it is a "Stetson Stratoliner"!

Here's the link: http://www.johnnydepp-zone.com/deppartment/catcflosangeles.php

Does anyone experienced knows what it is?

!

The corrugated sweatband would rule out a Stratoliner, this hat is a Borsalino in the "Alessandria Style".

Grunion Grady said:
But:
Not all hats had high crowns, large brims and no taper. Take a look at some of my hats in the pre 1940 Dress hat thread as examples (some medium crowns, some 2 inch brims, some taper). There is no doubt the high crown, larger brim (2 1/2 - 2 3/4 inch) and no taper is the anoited (vintage or modern) hat style of this board. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk