Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

keox11

Familiar Face
carouselvic said:

whoa!
I think it's the hat I'm looking for:)
you've had the chance to have it!
And this is an alessandria Borsalino style:)
Do you know where I could find one like yours?
Where did you get that hat?
ps: nice pictures with the open crown:)

Dimensions of johnny depp hat =
- Brim size = 2 7/8
- Crown = 5 1/2

keox11 said:
...Do you know where I could find one like yours?
The challenge will be finding that color & size. 60/61cm vintage hats are on the rare side. You'll be lucky to find the size in any color. There are lots of folks out there watching Borsalinos in that size in all colors.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Ebay is where this one came from. To find one in your size, in good condition, could take a long time and I would be very surprised if it did not cost you far more than a new custom from Art.

keox11

Familiar Face
carouselvic said:
Ebay is where this one came from. To find one in your size, in good condition, could take a long time and I would be very surprised if it did not cost you far more than a new custom from Art.

lol
I do not know if I wait long to find one like that in my size!
it's amazing we can find a hat so beautiful and rare as this one on Ebay! You've been lucky:)
Why Borsalino no longer manufactures this style of hat vintage? In addition, currently, vintage back in style!
I had a question in relation to your hat:
- Does it felt rabbit fur or beaver fur felt?
thank you

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
keox11 said:
whoa!
I think it's the hat I'm looking for:)
you've had the chance to have it!
And this is an alessandria Borsalino style:)
Do you know where I could find one like yours?
Where did you get that hat?
ps: nice pictures with the open crown:)

Dimensions of johnny depp hat =
- Brim size = 2 7/8
- Crown = 5 1/2
One alternative to snagging a vintage Borsalino in your color, is to just buy a new Borsalino Alessandria. It's very similar to what you're talking about, only the brim is 2 3/4. Peters Brothers in Texas has it. I bought one in another color a few years ago and like it a lot.
http://www.pbhats.com/BORSALINO_FELT/Default.htm
By the way, I do not believe that an EBay Borsalino will cost you as much as a custom hat; the buyers on EBay don't want to go that high. But Art Fawcett offers a very competitive price. The wait for such a hat on EBay would be the killer. You could wait for year.

Since you are paying basically the same price, I'd get the custom with the brim width you seek & 100% beaver felt. The Borsalino is rabbit/hare fur felt which is good but for same money, I'd go beaver every time. The quality of a modern Borsalino does not hold a candle to the vintage ones, IMHO. You can get the hat you seek then try to find a vintage one on ebay. I got mine for about $150US but consider it a total fluke. It is a 61cm or 7 5/8. One just went for under $60US but was not in pristine condition. They do come along but you can't be picky about the color for sure.

keox11

Familiar Face
danofarlington said:
One alternative to snagging a vintage Borsalino in your color, is to just buy a new Borsalino Alessandria. It's very similar to what you're talking about, only the brim is 2 3/4. Peters Brothers in Texas has it. I bought one in another color a few years ago and like it a lot.
By the way, I do not believe that an EBay Borsalino will cost you as much as a custom hat; the buyers on EBay don't want to go that high. But Art Fawcett offers a very competitive price. The wait for such a hat on EBay would be the killer. You could wait for year.

thank you for the link! I know! I have not done so because the brim borsalino does not suit me, (it is a bit short.

yes, wait for a vintage borsalino alessandria (brim: 2 7 / 8, size: 7 5 / 8; color: brown / coffee?) on ebay would be suicide:) Also, on Ebay in France, there not much in terms of Borsalino!

I wanted to know if there was a difference in flexibility between a rabbit fur felt and beaver fur felt? because Art Fawcett proposes me to replicate the Johnny Depp's hat with beaver fur felt ; and origin, borsalino alessandria is rabbit!
Can we both play with the shape of the hat with the hand?

keox11 said:
...Can we both play with the shape of the hat with the hand?
Yes. I have a somewhat modern Borsalino, purchased in late 1980s & a vintage Borsalino, early 1950s. Beaver in dress weight will be more substantial than either of them but has a different hand to it. If he still has any featherweight felt, then that will be even closer to the hand of the vintage Borso. My 2 VS Customs are of this felt.

keox11

Familiar Face
danofarlington said:

I exchanged mail with Art Fawcett on Johnny Depp's hat and he said, looking at the pictures I sent him, that the size of the brim is 2 3/4 and that the crown is 5 1/2! It is not 2 7/8 brim !
Apparently Johnny Depp wears a hat too big for him, which would give the effect of width relative to its small head!
How many sizes over did it take to have this effect of width???

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
keox11 said:
How many sizes over did it take to have this effect of width???
Personally I don't think that an oversize hat appears wider at all. It would just make it appear a little bit looser on your head. If you want to wear a larger size, I would only go one size up or one cm up, otherwise it would be droopy and floppy and look like you stole it from somebody else.

keox11

Familiar Face
gtdean48 said:
Just like Johnny Depp's!!! lol lol lol

lol

I just lend my panama hat and brim size XL 2 3 / 4 to my mother (who has a size of 7 inch therefore M) and she had style:) I could get the effect of width just like johnny depp with my mother)

But it is true that the Panama hat was much too big for her (it would need a size 7 3 / 8 then L:)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
shameless plug:

If you're willing to go a bit shorter on the brim - 2 1/2" - and change up the color a bit, click my signature line.

keox11

Familiar Face
danofarlington said:
I think you'd be doomed to disappointment from such a source. It's probably more like a costume hat for a high schooler.

you're right!
For the same price I can do to customize by artists like Art Fawcett:)

is what this site is reliable?

They offer the borsalino alessandria brim with 2 3 / 4! There are not many choices for colors! In addition, I fear he did not have the size that I seek: 7 7 / 8!

keox11

Familiar Face
I'll start the process with Art Fawcett after all the positive feedback that I have read!

This will be my first hat vintage! me know that it is worth a fortune, but if VS can make me the hat I want, in a sense, I'm saving my money ...

Again thank you for your advice!

Ps: when I go walking in the streets of Paris with this hat, people will hallucinate:)

the dude79

New in Town
danofarlington said:
One website I've been looking at lately is RMR Hats in Italy. They have lots of fedoras--many more than American retailers it seems--and one has a dark gray ("carbon gray") that I hope to get sometime in the next few months

http://www.rmr-hats.com/Hermes-70-Hat-82-1-0.html
that one has a larger brim size than you specified, but that's why I wanted it, and all the rest of their hats have smaller brims. You should see that color of dark gray. I've got to go for that at some point. I have another dark gray in the queue before then, costing more from someplace else, but someday.

General website www.rmr-hats.com

Hey danofarlington, thanks for you help! I really appreciate it! Though I don't think I saw the one you're talking about with the carbon gray. But it's a good place to look.

By the way, I'm also looking for someone who would sell the ribbon separately. I have a medium gray hat that I would love to fit with a pewter gray ribbon and wind-cord. Anyone know of any place I can go for that?? Thanks again!!! I am looking forward to a being a long time member of this site!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ