Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
What was the rationale behind hats with or without lining?

My guess is that unlined hats tend to be lighter and breath better for warmer weather. There may also have been a cost issue but unlined don't seem to be any cheaper than their lined contemporaries.

Or it simply may have been catering for personal preferences.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It's just weight. Some also have ventilation holes which, according to most accounts, are little more than decorative.

Jauntyone

Practically Family
Bespoke hatters in the golden age?

We all know that back then it was common for men to have suits tailor made; big cities were full of small tailor shops. But what about hats? Given that a man living in a major city could walk into a hat shop and find hundreds of models in an array of colors, finishes, and band styles; in long, regular, and round ovals, all off the shelf, what then would have been the logic behind having a completely custom hat made?
For stiff hats, bowlers and toppers, it would be essential, but for fedoras surely un-necessary? Minor re-touches (brim trims, ribbon change, etc.) could have been done in-shop. Were there semi-custom made-to-measure hatters?
Just curious.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jauntyone said:
We all know that back then it was common for men to have suits tailor made; big cities were full of small tailor shops. But what about hats? Given that a man living in a major city could walk into a hat shop and find hundreds of models in an array of colors, finishes, and band styles; in long, regular, and round ovals, all off the shelf, what then would have been the logic behind having a completely custom hat made?
Do a search on the Hats section for "benchmade".
Certainly there were countless custom hat makers in the day.
I own quite a few - Chelton out of NYC, Andrew Gross of
Oakland, CA, and Quality Hat Works of SF, off the top of my head.
Surely it was about style, building a relationship with your hat maker,
and selling hats to those passing through in a style they could not get
at home?

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I consistently run into the same problem when trying to shape the brim of a fedora. For whatever reason, when I curl the back up, the sides lay flat, and when I try to curl the sides up, the back lays flat. What I cannot seem to accomplish is having the back curl up, and the sides form a transition from the curl in the back to the front. Any tips?

Spats McGee

One Too Many
In the Post Reply box, type in the short & catchy phrase that you want. Copy the link that you want to put in. Highlight the short & catchy phrase, then click "insert link" and paste in the link. This is an example.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
jonbuilder said:
How do you change the name on a cut and paste web link to something short & catchy

Here's how I do it:

1. Copy the link
2. Go to Reply page
3. Hit "Insert Link" Icon
4. Paste link
5. Hit "OK"
6. Type catchy phrase (Note: once you finish Step 5, the link is automatically inserted in your reply, with the link address highlighted. When you type in the catchy phrase, it automatically replaces the highlighted link address with your new language]

Cheers,
JtL

High Pockets

Practically Family
Spats, I think I can tell you why the brim is "fighting" with you,.....for a brim to be concave, (or convex for that matter), the felt needs to be in tension.
In other words; the outside circumference of the brim needs to be shorter than it is now.

Think of a draw-string on a hooded sweatshirt. The tighter the string is pulled, the more convex the front of the hood gets.

Example; when I converted that old Resistol western a few days ago I softened up the outer edge of that brim in 1” sections and pushed the felt together to decrease the circumference of the very edge. Slowly but surely as I worked my way around the hat a few times it began to take on that “convex” look. It did get a tiny bit “bumpy” out there in spots, but the bumps sanded out. This also thickens the felt at the edge.
That old Resistol was a junker that I didn’t care about,….I would never try this on a nice fedora that I couldn’t afford to send to a hatter to have re-flanged after I messed it up.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I asked this in another thread but received no response, so I'll repeat it here:

I'm interested in this hat at Miller Hats:

http://millerhats.com/miller_fedora/257_fedora.html

but I can't quite get a handle on what "President Finish" fur felt is. Can anyone clue me in? Mary at MH described it as sort of suede-like but not fuzzy, as I initially mistook her to mean.

How would this felt compare to, say, the felt used for an Akubra Stylemaster -- anyone know?

Thanks.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
High Pockets said:
Spats, I think I can tell you why the brim is "fighting" with you,.....
Thanks, HP. I think that's exactly what I needed. I'll give it a shot soon and see how it turns out.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Would Artie Johnson have got on better with Ruth Buzzi if he had been wearing a sexy tie?

Buzzi-Johnson_Laugh-In.jpg

MV5BMjAxNTQ0NTMzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDEwNDM2._V1._SX450_SY326_.jpg

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
CRH said:
Would Artie Johnson have got on better with Ruth Buzzi if he had been wearing a sexy tie?

Buzzi-Johnson_Laugh-In.jpg

MV5BMjAxNTQ0NTMzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDEwNDM2._V1._SX450_SY326_.jpg

If so, Lefty could've sold him a few ;)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
A. Only sexy ladies like sexy ties.
B. Ruth Buzzy does not like sexy ties.
C. Therefore...:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member