Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
gtdean48 said:
Yes. I have a somewhat modern Borsalino, purchased in late 1980s & a vintage Borsalino, early 1950s. Beaver in dress weight will be more substantial than either of them but has a different hand to it. If he still has any featherweight felt, then that will be even closer to the hand of the vintage Borso. My 2 VS Customs are of this felt.

Good post. :eusa_clap Beaver is going to give you a more dense / durable finish. I don't buy into it being superior because of cost. Some of my best vintage felts are rabbit / hare.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Peters Brothers Fedora

Speaking of Peters Brothers (sort of), I see they offer a fedora that seems from the pictures on the site to have a fairly high crown with little taper. In other words, they look pretty good to me. Anybody have any first hand knowledge? Thanks.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Richard Warren said:
Speaking of Peters Brothers (sort of), I see they offer a fedora that seems from the pictures on the site to have a fairly high crown with little taper. In other words, they look pretty good to me. Anybody have any first hand knowledge? Thanks.
I bought one of their Borsalino Alessandrias, which fit your description, in the camel color. I like it. I read on another post here that that hat is a competitor to the Open Road, which makes sense now that they mention it. But if it is, it's a little more of a dress hat than the Open Road is. You could wear it more easily with dress clothes. Anyway I consider it a cool hat and stylish. I don't know whether that's the PB hat you're talking about, but it's the one I know.

danofarlington

Richard Warren said:
If you look on their site you find a "Peters Brothers" branded fedora which is the hat to which I was referring The link is here:

http://www.pbhats.com/PB_DRESS_FELT/Default.htm

They also sell other brands.
Those look good. Wide brim in the photos. They say you can choose the brim, so personally I'd shoot for a 2 3/4, same as the Borsalino Alessandrias, as going wider is more rakish than I like to go. I've got a couple of Borsalino 2 7/8, and that's about my outer limit. If you buy one I'd like to know how it is. The price is certainly right.

Jauntyone

Practically Family
keox11 said:
Ps: when I go walking in the streets of Paris with this hat, people will hallucinate:)

I wear my VS hats often when I go to Paris and they never fail to turn heads and get admiring glances! I was just at the Place de la Republique to-day in the middle of a big crowd of striking unionists wearing my Silver Mist thin-ribbon.

keox11

Familiar Face
Jauntyone said:
I wear my VS hats often when I go to Paris and they never fail to turn heads and get admiring glances! I was just at the Place de la Republique to-day in the middle of a big crowd of striking unionists wearing my Silver Mist thin-ribbon.

nice!
instead of the republic is the neighborhood where I live :) Parisians do not usually see such beautiful and vintage hats! chapeleries even in Paris, they have little in stocks ;( I have to order my hats to the U.S. because in France they do not have what I like ...

danofarlington

keox11 said:
nice!
instead of the republic is the neighborhood where I live :) Parisians do not usually see such beautiful and vintage hats! chapeleries even in Paris, they have little in stocks ;( I have to order my hats to the U.S. because in France they do not have what I like ...
So who knows about Italy, the home of Borsalino? Do men wear fedoras there?

keox11

Familiar Face
danofarlington said:
So who knows about Italy, the home of Borsalino? Do men wear fedoras there?

i dont know !
but i would like to go to italy to check the borsalino alessandria ;) I do not know if they still make this hat there?

keox11

Familiar Face
Do you know how do you win one or two sizes when you have a hat too big???
I was told it had something to sew inside the hat!

keox11 said:
Do you know how do you win one or two sizes when you have a hat too big???
I was told it had something to sew inside the hat!
Most place some padding, I use felt strips, behind the sweatband to snug up a loose fit. I don't sew anything in because hats & sweatbands do change some with regular wear & I may need to add or remove padding. HTH

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Little strips of felt or paper towels placed behind the sweatband are great for fine tuning the fit of your hat as required. But you still want the hat to be the right size to begin with. In my opinion, you don't want to try to make a hat that is truly one or two full sizes too big fit by using this method. ;)

keox11

Familiar Face
gtdean48 said:
Most place some padding, I use felt strips, behind the sweatband to snug up a loose fit. I don't sew anything in because hats & sweatbands do change some with regular wear & I may need to add or remove padding. HTH

what size do you win like that?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I quit worrying about "the perfect fit" about a year ago. If I can wear a hat, at some angle that looks OK and fits well enough, I'll go anywhere from 7 3/8 to 7 3/4LO.
7 3/8 - a bit snug for my 7 1/2 head
DSC_0007.jpg

7 3/4LO
DSC_0183.jpg

keox11

Familiar Face
Lefty said:
I quit worrying about "the perfect fit" about a year ago. If I can wear a hat, at some angle that looks OK and fits well enough, I'll go anywhere from 7 3/8 to 7 3/4LO.
7 3/8 - a bit snug for my 7 1/2 head
DSC_0007.jpg

7 3/4LO
DSC_0183.jpg

I think it suits you that hat!
others think it is too big ...
what is the size that hat?
What is your normal size?

keox11

Familiar Face
keox11 said:
I think it suits you that hat!
others think it is too big ...
what is the size that hat?
What is your normal size?

sorry I had not seen the sizes; (
you make a 7 1 / 2 normally and you wear a 7 3 / 4:)
I think it's great:)

Question: How do you do to reduce the gap to 2 sizes???

thank you for the pictures ...

Jauntyone said:

Like to see a pic of that! :)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
keox11 said:
Question: How do you do to reduce the gap to 2 sizes???

thank you for the pictures ...

foam strips behind the sweatband, and wearing the hat at the right tilts and angles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto