Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jwalls

Vendor
CRH said:
Would Artie Johnson have got on better with Ruth Buzzi if he had been wearing a sexy tie?

Buzzi-Johnson_Laugh-In.jpg

MV5BMjAxNTQ0NTMzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDEwNDM2._V1._SX450_SY326_.jpg
Isn't that Justice Ginsberg with Artie?

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
The Lark said:
is there any inherent difference between a small-brim fedora and a trilby aside from the makers of the hat/branding?

Or are the terms interchangeable?

My 1958 Stetson Trilby has a 2 inch brim making it not quite a stingy, though it's right on the cusp of stinginess. The trilby is a particular style of fedora while 'stingy brim' is a generic term for all fedoras with small (usually less than 2 inch) brims.

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
My wife bought me three thrift store hats for my birthday, a no-name wool English walker, a wool Dobbs stingy and a very nice Mark 65 Lee. The Lee has a glued overwelt and is coming loose in the back. It looks like it may have been attached with double sided tape. How should I go about reattaching the welt ?

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
Spats McGee said:
I consistently run into the same problem when trying to shape the brim of a fedora. For whatever reason, when I curl the back up, the sides lay flat, and when I try to curl the sides up, the back lays flat. What I cannot seem to accomplish is having the back curl up, and the sides form a transition from the curl in the back to the front. Any tips?

I have had very good success with this method. I am an extra long oval and need to reshape every hat I get. I use a hat stretcher I bought at Harbor Freight because it has tapered sides and seems to be narrower than others. I put the stretcher in the hat and just barely snug it so I don't actually stretch the hat. This method also long ovalizes the hat quite well. I cover the hat with an old t shirt and steam iron the brim flat. Then I start recurling the back of the brim first. I lift the hat up at an angle and pull the brim out from under the iron the same way you would do if you were trying to curl a ribbon. A little bit of manual manipulation is required till I get it to the amount of curl I want. Then I do the sides in the same manner. I put the curl a little farther toward the front than I think I will need so I can get a smooth transition from the side curl to the front break. I do the front last. I iron the front portion of the brim flat and while the felt is cooling and stiffening I bend the front down to where I want it. If there is any tweaking to do I turn the hat upside down ( crown down and brim up ) and steam the brim with the iron but not touching the brim with the iron. I manually tweak it to my liking. I've used this method on 3 inch brims to 1 1/2 inch porkpie brims, wool to 100% beaver and have been able to get what I wanted every time. If you search my user name you can see several examples of hats I've done this to. Good luck, hope this helps.

Felt and Straw

Familiar Face
Picture if you will (spoken in Rod Serling voice)

How do you insert a picture right into the thread as opposed to putting in a hyperlink? I can do the link, but when I click on the "insert image" button it still has me put in a link.[huh]

Ignorantly yours....

Felt and Straw

Familiar Face
test

OR1.jpg

Thanks feltfan! I spent some (a lot) of time trying to get this to work and, even after following the step by step advice in the link you posted could only get a post to insert a hyperlink.

I finally spent some time looking at the photobucket page and noticed that in the lower left corner (at least on the view that my account defaults to) is a box that says "Share this image." It occurred to me this might be a clue.....

So I copied the address listed in the "IMG Code" box, which is slightly different that the properties code when I right click on the image itself, and wala...I feel like shouting "The new phone books are here, the new phone books are here..." And yes, the self insulting aspect of that quote is intentional :p
Thanks again.
Cheers

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I use imageshack to upload my photos & find it easier than the others. There's even a resize button so that you can pick how large you want the picture to be. I use 600x800, for what it's worth.

Edited: http://www.imageshack.us/

No, you don't have to sign up to upload photos. I've been uploading stuff there for years without doing so.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
jwalls said:
Isn't that Justice Ginsberg with Artie?

Short answer: obviously not.

Long answer: I see the resemblance, however, as previously decided by the man at The Help Desk, the woman in that picture is not sexy, so it can not be Justice Ginsberg, since she is sexy.... in a scholarly sense, of course.

It follows easily that the U.S. Supreme Court could be the sexiest tribe in the history of humanity.

:rolleyes:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
Buy my stuff

Okay, this one is simple and honest, but I gotta admit, I really miss that last one, it was a classic. "Sexy women love sexy ties. Buy sexy ties here." Or something to that effect.

Oh, wait, am I supposed to ask a question?;)

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko