Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

glittlewing

New in Town
Can you tell me more

Hello I would like to introduce myself, my name is Gregory L. M. Smith or to close friends and family Littlewing. I am 50 years old use to wear fedoras hats when I was much younger have pics of myself and my Dad age 3 to 10. Just purchase a Vintage Knox Custom Black Fedora. I would like to find out about this hat I know it is Knox in NJ I know some of the history of the company I just would like to know more of the hat from Sacramento CA. Capital Clothing Co. All in good shape Hat band has Knox Gold Shield with Knox Custom at top next to that there is Custom Edge in Gold under hat band Knox tag of $16.50 with 302 and size of 7 3/8. Inside top of hat is the Knox logo with custom at top of logo. Great shade of Black 1 1/2 brim 4 1/2 crown who ever owned it before kept great care of it wonderful hat love it. Now here is the funny part it was shipped to me by a unknown person with instructions not to revile thier identity I also own a Beaver Brand Hat Brown that my wife gave me for my upcoming birthday. I want to know more about this Knox hat can someone tell me the history of the hat I know history of the company Thank you for your time about my hat Gregory Littlewing Smith
TheFedoraLounge
http://picasaweb.google.com/glilwing/TheFedoraLounge#5384789049072306546

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge, glittlewing!

I don't know the answer to your question, but I may be able to help you get the answer. Your best bet is to post some pictures of the hat, including just some general pictures, the lining, any markings on the sweatband, the size tag, and any other identifying marks. This will help some of our resident experts figure out its age, and maybe some other fun stuff about it.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
glittlewing said:
I want to know more about this Knox hat can someone tell me the history of the hat I know history of the company Thank you for your time about my hat Gregory Littlewing Smith

From the price and description of the hat, sounds like it's a mid-to late-'60s hat, maybe up to 1972. Made in either South Norwalk, CT, or Winchester, TN.

Photos help, for sure.

Welcome!

Brad

xkennyx91x

New in Town
So im looking for a hat, that i can buy, relatively cheap my limit is 100$ I want to buy a Fedora style hat, that i could wear, to weddings, church, formal outings. I want something that will give that 1930s and 40s gangster look....Any ideas?

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge, xkennyx91x!

We just had a recent thread in which someone asked almost the same question. It's here.

For $100, there are quite a few fedoras that might meet your needs. Some of the considerations you should think about are:
1) Fur felt or wool?
2) Color?
3) Brim size?
4) Crown height?

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
Brent brand hats

Does anyone know anything about Brent fedoras? I just picked up a gray one on the Ebay. The seller says it may have been sold at JC Penny in the 50s. I searched Google with no luck. Thanks, Phineas

glittlewing

New in Town
Spats McGee said:
Welcome to the Lounge, glittlewing!

I don't know the answer to your question, but I may be able to help you get the answer. Your best bet is to post some pictures of the hat, including just some general pictures, the lining, any markings on the sweatband, the size tag, and any other identifying marks. This will help some of our resident experts figure out its age, and maybe some other fun stuff about it.

Thanks this is all new please help I have pics but I do not know how to up load any to The Fedora Lounge can someone tell me how to I am very computer savvy just have not found all of the functions yet
TheFedoraLounge

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I'm capable of uploading from ImageShack, but unfortunately, I've never figured out how to deal with any of the other photo sites. In other words, I'm afraid that I'm not much help on that score. I just know that I can upload to Imageshack, copy the code that it gives me, & paste it into a post here. Someone savvier than I will have to help you on this, I'm afraid.

On the other hand, if you have other pictures uploaded to Picasa (I can only see one picture), and can give us a link to an album that will show us more of the hat (like the interior markings, lining, etc.), someone here may still be able to help.

yvonathan

New in Town
Very old Stetson bowler hat, trying to date it...

Hello all!

I've got unique black felt Stetson bowler hat (although maybe with a slightly wider brim than a bowler) that came out of a box of Victorian/Edwardian stuff I bought at an estate sale. It's unlined, with an embossed leather "John B. Stetson Co" "American Manufacture" crest logo. Also embossed, right next to the company crest, is a seal that reads "The Fray" "Trademark Rec'd Oct 8 1878" and "Improved Sweat Patten'd January 1, 1878". I believe the "The Fray" is the name of the hat, since the bow on the bowler does have frayed edges. Has anyone seen a Stetson hat like this? Do you think it's a hat made in 1878 or was it common for Stetson to list older pattents on newer hats?

There is also an embossed store logo, "Endel's 120 So. Main Street, Greenville, SC, that is oppositve the Stetson logo on the sweat band.

I've gotten pretty fascinated with this hat, so any answers would be great! I'd post pics but have no idea how to!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
yvonathan said:
Hello all!

I've got unique black felt Stetson bowler hat (although maybe with a slightly wider brim than a bowler) that came out of a box of Victorian/Edwardian stuff I bought at an estate sale. It's unlined, with an embossed leather "John B. Stetson Co" "American Manufacture" crest logo. Also embossed, right next to the company crest, is a seal that reads "The Fray" "Trademark Rec'd Oct 8 1878" and "Improved Sweat Patten'd January 1, 1878". I believe the "The Fray" is the name of the hat, since the bow on the bowler does have frayed edges. Has anyone seen a Stetson hat like this? Do you think it's a hat made in 1878 or was it common for Stetson to list older pattents on newer hats?

There is also an embossed store logo, "Endel's 120 So. Main Street, Greenville, SC, that is oppositve the Stetson logo on the sweat band.

I've gotten pretty fascinated with this hat, so any answers would be great! I'd post pics but have no idea how to!

The Fray is a trademark for the method used to produce the sweatband. The hat is almost certainly from the 20s or earlier. It would be great if you could post photos, as these are pretty hard to come by. Here's one that I once owned.
db2.jpg

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Phineas Lamour said:
Does anyone know anything about Brent fedoras? I just picked up a gray one on the Ebay. The seller says it may have been sold at JC Penny in the 50s. I searched Google with no luck. Thanks, Phineas
Welcome to the Lounge, Phineas!

I don't know a single thing about Brent fedoras. However, it would be helpful if you could post some pictures or a link to the auction. The Fedora Lounge does not allow the posting of links to live auctions, but once bidding has ended, an auction is no longer live.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
yvonathan said:
Just in case I get accused of hat abuse, I know it could use a good cleaning. It just got unearthed yesterday. :)

I know you've described it as a bowler, but it's hard to tell by the photos if it's a soft hat. Are the brim and the crown pretty stiff? The brim almost looks soft, like a fedora. The hat might just be a bit misshapen and need to be blocked (and cleaned). At minimum, it needs a good brushing. This thread has some info. on hat brushes and brushing.

What size is it, and does it fit you?

yvonathan

New in Town
soft brim

I'm new to the world of hats, but the felt is very soft and moldable. Really it looks in between bowler and fedora to me. I'm a big-headed girl and it doesn't come even close to fitting me! Label says size 7. I didn't mean to purchase the hat, it was buried in a box of antique clothing I bought. (I collect vintage clothing). I thought dating this would help me date the clothing, which appears to be late Victorian. Then I got curious about the Stetson label and old pattent date. Will def. see about brushing it.

yvonathan

New in Town
also on the old stetson

Looking at the old Stetson I posted earlier again, there's definitely a line of wear on the top, as though it was creased. Of course it was also stored in a box for however many years. The only other men's item found in my box of antique ladies' clothing (petticoats, bloomers, kid gloves, spats, wool capes, and a prairie style slatted sunbonnet) was a wallet with property tax and train conductors' dues receipts dated 1903. I guess the reason I thought it was a bowler was due to that date--I didn't think fedoras were popular until the mid-1920's.

glittlewing

New in Town
from glittlewing

Thanks for the help I will be glad to take some more pic of my hat and put them on my pic site for you to copy I will not be able to do this till tomorrow got Cardiologist and Orthopedic appointment today thanks for all of the help everyone is doing to help me find out more about my Knox Custom Black Fedora

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko