Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
100_3387-vi.jpg

100_3381-vi.jpg

yvonathan-

It's a fedora, just currently uncreased. '20s or before. Brush it off, dent the top and you'll be good to go.

It wouldn't surprise me if it had the brim trimmed at one point, but that's just speculation.

sproily

Practically Family
I posted this to another thread. But I just noticed that this was the right place.. so here goes :p

Is there a way to fix or make less noticeable the patches of felt that have come off? I'm not really a fan of small lighter areas on my brim.

Thanks

yvonathan

New in Town
Dinerman said:
100_3387-vi.jpg

100_3381-vi.jpg

yvonathan-

It's a fedora, just currently uncreased. '20s or before. Brush it off, dent the top and you'll be good to go.

It wouldn't surprise me if it had the brim trimmed at one point, but that's just speculation.

Thanks for that, you guys have been a great help!

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
Brent hat

Just got my Brent fedora in the mail today!- My first vintage hat- It's a lot browner in real life than it was in the Ebay pics. It's a really nice hat (very soft). Fits just right too. Still can't find any info online about Brent hats.

colps

One of the Regulars
looking

I am in the process of ordering a Art Fawcett which i found out about him on here.I have a optimo i was wondering what other top of the line hatters are out there making custom hats. thanks colps

glittlewing

New in Town
History Need on Black Knox Custom Hat

Hello Everyone well lets see if I can do this right to get these pics to go with my text to fid out about my Vintage Knox Custom Black Fedora. I would like to find out about this hat I know it is Knox company is in NJ I know some of the history of the company I just would like to know more of the hat from Sacramento CA. Capital Clothing Co. All in good shape Hat band has Knox Gold Shield with Knox Custom at top next to that there is Custom Edge in Gold under hat band Knox tag of $16.50 with 302. Inside top of hat is the Knox logo with custom at top of logo. Great shade of Black 1 1/2 brim 4 1/2 crown who ever owned it before kept great care of it wonderful hat love it. I know some of you gave me a little info about it so far so here are the pics here goes. Gregory Littlewing Smith

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Well, for starters, Knox was not in NJ when you hat was made, as they were bought out and merged into Hat Corporation of America in Norwalk, CT, in 1932. Their production was also moved to Norwalk, and by the time your hat was made, they also had a factory in Winchester, TN. Your hat was produced mid- to late'-60s, and maybe up to 1972.

Sorry to say, I don't have any information about the Capitaol Cothing Company in Sacramento.

It's in beautiful condition, a fine hat.

Brad

colps

One of the Regulars
adventurebilt hat

I found out about adventurebilt on here last night checked them out last night was thinking about buying a indiana jones was wanting some comments from some folks who have bought hats off these folks. thanks colps

warbird

One Too Many
colps said:
I found out about adventurebilt on here last night checked them out last night was thinking about buying a indiana jones was wanting some comments from some folks who have bought hats off these folks. thanks colps

Do a search, there is a ton of info on them. Many here have their hats, they make a great hat if you can wait that long. Steve and Marc are both members here. I especially like the Adventurebilt Deluxe in Grey. There is also the Henry which is a beaver mix, offered by Penman Hats, also a member here.

glittlewing

New in Town
Info on Barrister Hat

Hi looked on line for Barrister was not able to find out anything about the company or the hat I was in a Goodwill here found this hat does any one have knowledge of about this kind of hat the company or hat history

babs

A-List Customer
felt ink / dye smearing or rubbing off onto hands with handling

Problem:
My new black/charcoal Cavanagh Edge has an interesting trait that I'm not exactly crazy about... The black dye/ink etc.. I don't really know what it is, appears to rub off easily on contact, onto whatever touches it.. My fingers were black as if I were handing printed paper from a copier that hadn't gone through the fuser on the copier yet.

Background:
This is a darn-near-new hat in the box made probably around 1960 but wasn't really ever worn.. Yes, I scored! :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370249497738&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

MAIN QUESTIONS:
Is there something I should do with such a vintage hat to prevent this?
Any recommended treatments to a vintage hat for such a thing?
Is this just a side-effect of age with a dark vintage felt hat that's sat in a box for decades?
Dear Abby.. What can I do?

Signed,
Troubled Cavanagh Owner that's afraid to touch my new lid.

:)

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
babs said:
Problem:
My new black/charcoal Cavanagh Edge has an interesting trait that I'm not exactly crazy about... The black dye/ink etc.. I don't really know what it is, appears to rub off easily on contact, onto whatever touches it.. My fingers were black as if I were handing printed paper from a copier that hadn't gone through the fuser on the copier yet.

Background:
This is a darn-near-new hat in the box made probably around 1960 but wasn't really ever worn.. Yes, I scored! :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370249497738&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

MAIN QUESTIONS:
Is there something I should do with such a vintage hat to prevent this?
Any recommended treatments to a vintage hat for such a thing?
Is this just a side-effect of age with a dark vintage felt hat that's sat in a box for decades?
Dear Abby.. What can I do?

Signed,
Troubled Cavanagh Owner that's afraid to touch my new lid.

:)

I can think of a few possibilities that would explain the condition:
1. Several manufacturers have used colored powders as a final touch-up on felt hats.
2. The tips of the hairs may have deteriorated slightly.
3. It could be years of smoke (carbon particles) that settled on the hat.

In any case, a light brushing, or a light vacuuming (using the brush attachment), should remove most of it. It's amazing how much black can be removed from a hat, without it becoming noticeably lighter in color (even if washed in cold water).

babs

A-List Customer
J.T.Marcus said:
I can think of a few possibilities that would explain the condition:
1. Several manufacturers have used colored powders as a final touch-up on felt hats.
2. The tips of the hairs may have deteriorated slightly.
3. It could be years of smoke (carbon particles) that settled on the hat.

In any case, a light brushing, or a light vacuuming (using the brush attachment), should remove most of it. It's amazing how much black can be removed from a hat, without it becoming noticeably lighter in color (even if washed in cold water).

Thank you JT. :)
I'm betting theory 1.. It's definitely like black very fine printer/copier toner.
The vacuuming (brush attachment) idea.. good one.

Makes me think, possibly an application of felt stiffener keep the dye powder attached?

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
babs said:
Makes me think, possibly an application of felt stiffener keep the dye powder attached?

I don't know. Maybe someone else can speak to that. We do a lot of experimenting, around here. If you try it, give us a scientific update. :)

babs

A-List Customer
J.T.Marcus said:
I don't know. Maybe someone else can speak to that. We do a lot of experimenting, around here. If you try it, give us a scientific update. :)

Fair enough. :) I'll travel in pursuit and report. Good to see you again.. As I'm quite a newb still here I remember reading your posts a bunch when I first joined.

Wild Toad

New in Town
The George W Prior Hat Company Denver Colorado

Has anyone heard of the George W Prior Hat Company? I have a western style fet hat with the label Prior Denver XXXX Quality
WildToad6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk