Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wild Toad

New in Town
th_P1040308.jpg

The George W Prior Hat Company was active 1880s-1930s when they switched to western shirts and eventually became part of Miller Stockman here in Denver.

babs

A-List Customer
I saw another one also I think I have bookmarked on my office pc I'll try to share tomorrow. Cigarband, we can make assumptions that you may refer to a moth divot, but if you're referring to a hole completely through the felt, that's another matter altogether. You can use methods described in some threads here to refill a moth divot, but a hole that's very deep or large would be beyond what I've seen yet here. Not saying the thread doesn't exist though. I just haven't seen it.

Cigarband

A-List Customer
Yes unfortunately, a hole not a divot. Right where the pinch is in the crown. It's the only flaw in an otherwise great hat. A Stetson Imperial that I got for cheap because of the hole. If it can't be repaired, I at least want to stop it from getting bigger. After all, you have to be about 6'4" tall to see it when I'm wearing it.;)

babs

A-List Customer
ouch.. That's a shame. Unless a pro or expert might chime in, that hat may turn out to be your work hat. Repair on it may turn out to be more trouble than it's worth. Beyond DIY.. maybe a pro hatter might have better answer or an alternative.

Kangfish

Familiar Face
Torino Quality

Hi. Does anyone here know what the "Torino Quality" in a Mallory hat means? It's just marked 71/8 long oval on the tag and Torino Quality on the sweat. No model or name on it other than the store it came from. Thanks

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Cigarband said:
Yes unfortunately, a hole not a divot. Right where the pinch is in the crown. It's the only flaw in an otherwise great hat. A Stetson Imperial that I got for cheap because of the hole. If it can't be repaired, I at least want to stop it from getting bigger. After all, you have to be about 6'4" tall to see it when I'm wearing it.;)

Double ouch. Some suggestions for a weak spot that wasn't yet a hole are here, but once you've got a hole, it seems that you've got to start calling it "character".

Spats McGee

One Too Many
A naptha question

I've looked around for, but never found, the answer to this: When preparing to give a hat a naptha bath, should you strip it down to the felt, or just dunk it, liner, sweatband, and all?

Mario

I'll Lock Up
You're liable to receive a mixed response to this this question. I leave the hat as it is, ribbon, liner and all and just dunk it in the solvent. You might want to use some conditioner (Lexol) on the sweat after the hat has dried. Other people will strip their lids off to the bare essentials before drowning the poor thing. I've never had any problems with Naptha.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Spats McGee said:
I've looked around for, but never found, the answer to this: When preparing to give a hat a naptha bath, should you strip it down to the felt, or just dunk it, liner, sweatband, and all?

I have used naptha to spot clean some fairly nasty stains, but I've never dunked the whole hat.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Again nothing to do with hats

If I wear a dark jacket with cream slacks (which I know is a perfect summer combination) will it look out of place in winter? Also, would a light trenchcoat clash with the cream slacks or could it be worn over them?

Inusuit said:
I have used naptha to spot clean some fairly nasty stains, but I've never dunked the whole hat.
I've dunked entire hats, in a sealed plastic feed bucket, shook vigorously from time to time, let them soak for entires, sweatbands & ribbons but no liners. No ill effects.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot