PDA

View Full Version : Vintage vs. Classic - creating a truly a timeless look.

Doublegun
09-04-2009, 08:34 AM
I have been hanging around here for the past 6-months and have really enjoyed the discussions of cloths and the history and historical perspective behind them. I am interested in looks and styles that are truly timeless, incorporating elements that don't shout out "vintage" or "retro" but which speak of all things classic. What elements of a man's wardrobe (business and casual) are truly "timeless"? For example trench coats, wool/cashmere topcoats, cap-toes shoes, the flannel suit, kahaki pants, a basic leather jacket, turtle necks, button down shirts.... What else?

Spitfire
09-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Well - you mentioned a lot of them.
But a navy blazer is a must in my book. (Ascot/cravat is an option)

vintage68
09-04-2009, 10:21 AM
I consider pocket handkerchiefs a must!

Suspenders are always a nice vintage touch.

A nice automatic or manual watch such as the new Hamilton Jazzmaster Slim line:

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq179/vintage68/IMG_0027.jpg

A great leather jacket as you mentioned is nice.

A guy should always have a reliable pocket knife, nothing too fancy.

Marc Chevalier
09-04-2009, 10:22 AM
The preppy / Ivy League look is just about timeless.

Doublegun
09-04-2009, 01:53 PM
I have been a big fan of Hamilton's line of automatic watches for years and my only real watch is an automatic Khaki with a british tan strap which gets changed to a black strap in the winter.

memphislawyer
09-04-2009, 02:07 PM
I have been a big fan of Hamilton's line of automatic watches for years and my only real watch is an automatic Khaki with a british tan strap which gets changed to a black strap in the winter.

Well, that is one great watch then. You can do a lot worse than a Hammy

Viola
09-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Cordovan shoes and belts for all those gray and navy looks that are also timeless. Sweater vests. Argyle socks. Aviator sunglasses.

Eight-eye workboots in cordovan or black not weird nylon-and-nubuck monstrosities. Tweed sports jackets.

I'd cast out turtlenecks, though, sorry. lol

Carlisle Blues
09-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Polo shirts

Shangas
09-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Button-down shirts, pullover vests, pocket watches (for me, anyway), ties, long-sleeve pullovers...

Doublegun
09-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Cordovan shoes and belts for all those gray and navy looks that are also timeless. Sweater vests. Argyle socks. Aviator sunglasses.

Eight-eye workboots in cordovan or black not weird nylon-and-nubuck monstrosities. Tweed sports jackets.

I'd cast out turtlenecks, though, sorry. lol

Swore off plastic/nylon boots a couple of years ago. My hunting boots are handmade by Russell and my regular boots are a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers that are starting to develop a nice patina.

Widebrim
09-04-2009, 07:46 PM
White athletic, or "A" shirts, preferably cotton...

Doublegun
09-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Found this article interesting, however I think "preppie" has been used and abused to the point where it is often a caricature of what is truly traditional/classic. http://www.observer.com/2009/fashion/trad-men

mattfink
09-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Man, that Ivy look makes me cringe!

How about a nice pair of high waisted pants, gab shirt and white buck shoes instead?

Alexi
09-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Found this article interesting, however I think "preppie" has been used and abused to the point where it is often a caricature of what is truly traditional/classic. http://www.observer.com/2009/fashion/trad-men

frolicking around in you best dressed uncles closet, sounds like a long winded euphemism.

Tomasso
09-09-2009, 07:38 PM
http://www.observer.com/2009/fashion/trad-men"But a true traddy might opt for the more economical and authentic route of getting his dress shirts custom-made, perhaps by a tailor like Alexander Kabbaz".

lol He charges like $700 a shirt.

ThesFlishThngs
09-10-2009, 07:56 AM
"frolicking around in you best dressed uncles closet, sounds like a long winded euphemism."

Edward Gorey suddenly comes to mind.... ;)

Warbaby
09-10-2009, 11:38 PM
"frolicking around in you best dressed uncles closet, sounds like a long winded euphemism."

Edward Gorey suddenly comes to mind.... ;)

The Curious Sofa? :eek:

Geronimo
09-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Pocket squares, shined shoes and boots. Navy or blue suits. Sandals - serious sandals, the kind you could walk onto beaches full of nails and broken glass with and not worry about tetanus shots later. Immensely practical footwear in their element. Please don't wear them to Black Tie events. lol