PDA

View Full Version : Band of Brothers

Andykev
11-29-2005, 06:31 PM
I have just gotten my boxed set of "BAND OF BROTHERS", the wonderful mini-series based on that wonderful writere Stephen Ambrose (who tragicly died this past year). This was on HBO and lately on the Discovery Channel (yes some of my friends *cringe* taped it), I wanted the DVD's for their unsurpassed video and sound quality.

This has 10 episodes, and includes all special features normally with buying a film on DVD.

If you haven't seen it, it is based upon the true story of Easy Company, the 506th Regiment of the 101st Airborn Division. They were an elite rifle company that parachuted into France on D-Day, faught in the Battle of the Bulge, and ultimately captured the Keilstein Haus (Eagles Nest) which was Hitlers lair in Berchtesgaden. ( I have visited that place and have pictures to prove it!).

If you love WWII movies like "Saving Private Ryan", this is a MUST HAVE. The action, uniforms, weapons, are all as authentic as you can get.

It shows that "War is Hell".

Anyone else really love this film?

Mr. 'H'
11-29-2005, 06:40 PM
It's a fantastic series. I went thru' the box set myself a few weeks ago for the first time. I thought the main guy was great. "Captain, it's the rank you salute, not the man" was an excellent quote I thought, at the end.

I loved the documentary episode at the end - it was so interesting. The guy who played the Sgt whose leg was amputated did an excellent job of imitation his voice and mannerisms, including the underbite!

I'd recommend it. Expecially with a good sound system or earphones to watch it with.

DanielJones
11-29-2005, 07:05 PM
Own that series myself. Totally love it.

Cheers!

Dan

Feraud
11-29-2005, 08:59 PM
I do not have the dvd set but loved the series when it was on tv. A very well done piece of filmmaking.

Mycroft
11-30-2005, 08:24 AM
Amazing work, one of the best out there(mini-series). Well, worth the cost of the set, which reminds me to pick it up soon.

Hondo
11-30-2005, 02:32 PM
Own that series myself. Totally love it.

Cheers!

Dan

Like wise Andy, I also own the box set, just haven't had the time to sit through the whole thing, I'm done with first 2 disks. I like the metal ammo box it comes in. I watched "Saving Private Ryan" on Vets Day.
And will try to finish this for Dec. 7th Anniversary of Pearl Habor.

KR
11-30-2005, 04:24 PM
I also own the boxed set and think it's great! I enjoyed the documentry on when the actors had to go through training.

Great book as well, I've read it a couple of times.

Hemingway Jones
11-30-2005, 06:15 PM
I loved "Band of Brothers." The D-Day scene showing the men on the planes is one of the most amazing scenes I have ever seen.

The "Battle of the Bulge" scenes were harrowing. It had an unflinching look at the war and at the character of the fellows who fought it.

A series so good that even David Schwimmer was excellent!

MrBern
11-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Ever read the book? Ambrose wrote the book but not the miniseries.

Theres one historical website that takes great issue w/ the miniseries. Points out lots of errors like Blythe,( the kid that went hysterical blind, then got shot inthe neck), didn't die from his wounds.

But really, the miniseries stands head & shoulders above so many other war films. Its really nice to see awarfilm not watered down by corny love interests or melodramatic death scenes.

Hemingway Jones
11-30-2005, 06:35 PM
Hey Bern,
I don't know if you were asking me directly, but I did read the book. I also read "D-Day" and "Citizen Soldiers." -Great stuff.

Andykev
11-30-2005, 06:49 PM
Mr. Bern, as Ed McMahnan told "Johnny" ...YOU ARE CORRECT SIR!

Too many war films show schmucky B.S.

My 14 year old is watching Band of Brothers with me. It truly depicts the horrors of war in a graphic, realistic fashion. He knows it is actors and special effects, but he also is seeing that "War is Hell".

MrBern
11-30-2005, 07:51 PM
There is a certain romance to Ambrose's books as well as SPR & BoB, but they certainly depict the hell of it all.

Incidentally, I thought it was a shame that in Enemy at th Gate, the female snipers were never depicted firing a shot. I know it was based on a real story, but they certainly hollywooded it up. Not a bad movie, but realllyy, those actual ruski female snipers were deadly & prolific. In the movie....not really.

And Windtalkers...what a waste of resources. The address of racism was so unsophisticated. Check out the classic VanJohnson warfilm GoForBroke. Now thats got an interesting take on Japanese-american service men coping w/ rascism.

I'll stop now.:rolleyes:

MrBern
11-30-2005, 10:39 PM
Incidentally, anyone who likes Band of Brothers should check out the 1949 warfilm, BATTLEGROUND. A real Oscar winner.
Another one of those classic VanJohnson warfilms, PLUS you get to see some other bright faces like RICARDO MONTALBAN, & JAmesWhitmore.
Just think, it was made less than 5 years after the actual battles it depicted.

BellyTank
12-01-2005, 04:36 AM
...Theres one historical website that takes great issue w/ the miniseries. Points out lots of errors like Blythe,( the kid that went hysterical blind, then got shot inthe neck), didn't die from his wounds.

A lot of people take (took) issue with Ambrose himself too.

B
T

jake431
12-01-2005, 08:53 AM
A lot of people take (took) issue with Ambrose himself too.

B
T

His book about the B-24, The Wild Blue (I forget the exact title) was not good, filled with errors and plagarized. Historically, his books tend to be a little sloppy, but as a story teller, he was very good.

-Jake

BellyTank
12-01-2005, 08:57 AM
His plagiarisms are the main issue- that and making things up instead of researching. I've read a couple of his books and they're a good enough read.

B
T

MrBern
12-01-2005, 08:03 PM
His plagiarisms are the main issue- that and making things up instead of researching. I've read a couple of his books and they're a good enough read.

B
T

I recall seeing him on tv, explaining the problem as a footnote error that was really the publisher's responsibility.

btw, this is the site that takes issues with details of the mini-series.
http://www.101airborneww2.com/bandofbrothers3.html
enjoy
-bernard

MrBern
12-22-2005, 10:12 PM
OOOPs
apparently I forgot to paste in the link in my previous post.
Here is a website by a historian who has been associating w/ th Easy Co veterans for many years.
He undertakes a serious critique on th mini-series.
Some of it seems like SOURGRAPES for not being involved. But he does point out some interesting stuff, like PvtBlithe, who had hysterical blindness & was later shot inthe neck by a sniper was depicted as eventually dying from his wounds. The link states this was not his fate...
http://www.101airborneww2.com/bandofbrothers.html

MrBern
12-26-2005, 10:14 PM
thought this historynet link might interest a few of you

http://historynet.com/ah/blwinters/

nick1909
11-13-2006, 07:24 PM
Disregarding any questions about Stephen Ambrose's "plagiarism," you must give him credit for capturing an important part of our history, and must applaud HBO for creating a masterful miniseires.
If I were a history teacher, the series would be required viewing for my students.
Here's a site that you may find of interest:
http://www.majordickwinters.com/

moustache
11-13-2006, 07:37 PM
I watch the compleat series along with "Saving Private Ryan" every June 6th.Have been doing so now for the last three years.I MAKE time for it.ANd evey time i am still engrossed by the films.
I have had the privilege of visiting many WW2 battlefields and it never fails to impress me.What those men and women did for us and the world.
One of the members of that Easy company resides but only 40 miles from me.(William Wingett).

Here is a link to an Easy company web site:
http://www.menofeasycompany.com

JD in Vancouver,WA

MrBern
11-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Weren't Ambrose's 'plagiarisms' discounted as a footnoting error by the publisher?

Jay
11-13-2006, 09:00 PM
The book was fantastic. Did anyone catch the picture of Lewis Nixon on the morning of VE day? While skimming through it at Barnes and Noble's I actually laughed out loud.

MrBern
11-13-2006, 10:48 PM
Yes, that photo is a scream.

You should check out Parachute Infantry by David Webster who was the harvard student in Easy company.
It details his experiences & you see how some of the depictions in theminiseries were abbreviated or consolidated. For instance, Webster never went on that raid for prisoners. I beleive his character was consolidated w/ Forest Guth, who was also a translator.

Jay
11-13-2006, 11:36 PM
Thanks for reminding me. I seen that a while ago but somehow forgot about it. My nephew was telling me all about it. It looks really good.

Harp
11-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Airborne!.

nick1909
11-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Webster's book was pretty good. Another great one to look out for is "Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters" by Dick Winters and Cole C. Kingseed.
Also, Donald Burgett's books are well worth reading if you're interested the 101st Airborne.

SWTroopers
11-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Webster's book was pretty good. Another great one to look out for is "Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters" by Dick Winters and Cole C. Kingseed.
Also, Donald Burgett's books are well worth reading if you're interested the 101st Airborne.

I'll second that, Burgett's books are a great read. One man's perspective of the 101st. I proudly have all three. Did he ever finish the fourth?

nick1909
11-14-2006, 08:34 PM
Yes. Beyond The Rhine was just published within the last year, I believe. It's a little shorter than the other three books, but a nice finish to the series.

MrBern
11-14-2006, 08:42 PM
Tho its more like a well done magazine, than a book, I've enjoyed this book on Forrest Guth of Band of Brothers.

http://www.d-day-publishing.be/portrait1.html

Cpl Guth is mentioned in the Band ofBrothers book, and you see some footage of him being interviewed in the miniseries, but he is not depicted.
He was a rather unique modifier of uniforms & equipment.
The pix are a real treat, cuz he was quite a snappy dresser & acquired a lot of interesting gear as well as captured items.
Also, the miniseries never really deals w/ those who had really hard parachute landings. Guth's chute tangles dropping into Holland.Ouch.
Also, in Wester's book, the landing on Dday dropped him into a flooded area. But I suppose these details did not fit into the miniseries' direction.

Harp
11-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Many paratroopers died on D-Day because low flying DC-3s released
sticks considerably below regulation altitude level and chutes failed
to properly deploy.

LadyStardust
01-08-2007, 09:01 AM
I realize I'm hopping on the bandwagon extremely late here, but I just have to applaud this series, which I just happened upon last night on The History Channel. I only caught three episdoes, but they were enough to hook me. The set/cinematography are stunning, the acting brilliant, inspired, and the general effect is just amazing. A very harrowing look at the ugly truths of war, but brilliantly done. I can't get over how amazing Damian Lewis is in his role, I was simply blown away. I'm very impressed, and hope to get the boxset within the next month. Until then, I'll keep trying to catch them on television.

Feraud
01-08-2007, 09:06 AM
There is nothing wrong with bumping a good thread. :)
BOB is a top notch production and the box set is worth buying.
Enjoy the rest of the series!

PADDY
01-08-2007, 09:13 AM
I was lucky to bag the producer's RMNZ A-2 Dubow flying jacket which was used on set. So I can watch the series with the A2 on!! (nooooo!!! that would be just too cheesy for me, but it's a nice A2).

griffer
01-08-2007, 09:14 AM
My wife got me the box set.

I love the movie/series.

BUT, I have had a heck of a time with the quality control.

First set had 4 scratched DVDs, we got a replacement, and it too had 3 scratched DVDs.

We muddled through, but has anyone else had this issue?

griffer
01-09-2007, 07:30 AM
Amazon said the whole batch of BoB box sets were damaged.

They are taking back the second box and refunding, plus giving a $15 credit.

Boooo.

Now we have to find a box that isn't goofed up.

Miss Jones
02-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Better late than never (for a reply). I've had the BoB set for a few yrs now. Love, Love, LOVE it. Shows more of the personal side of the war than Ryan. More emotional. My fave episode is Bastogne.

Cacklewack
02-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Band of Brothers is a wonderful series. I've watched the whole bloody thing a few times and it doesn't get old.

Matt

fourstarbanner
03-12-2007, 07:57 PM
I agree with Miss Jones. What makes the series so special is how it shows the soldiers as real people with real goals, dreams, and hardships they had to face. People today seem to forget that lives were interrupted to go overseas and fight. Both Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan show the war on a more personal level.

I have both Ambrose's book and Beyond Band of Brothers and I love them!

Paratrooper
03-13-2007, 10:47 AM
I just found George E. Koskimaki's books on the 101st all great reads, Mr. Koskimaki was a radio operator in the 101st and after the war he talked to all the vets about what happened after the was to get the story of what happened.
Very interesting, sometimes funny, sometimes scarry, sometimes sad. go out and give them a try. The First one is D-Day with the Screaming Eagles this one is just about June 6th, that is the only thing lacking it dose not go into the rest of the Normady campain. 2nd is Hell's Highway this talks about operation Market Garden. And the 3rd is The Battered Bastards of Bastone is all about Bastone the first two are in paperback and the 3rd is comming out in May in paperback.