PDA

View Full Version : Borsalino Sizing Question

wgiceman
01-03-2011, 03:56 PM
I recently got a Borsalino Como and an older Allesandra (I think). While the sizes both say 7 1/4 US, the fit is somewhat snug, almost like a 7 1/8. Is this attribute common to Borsalinos?

zetwal
01-03-2011, 04:00 PM
In my experience, Borsalinos do sometimes run a little snugger than some other brands. But they are not a full size smaller.

What is your head measurement in inches (or centimeters)?

danofarlington
01-03-2011, 04:01 PM
I recently got a Borsalino Como and an older Allesandra (I think). While the sizes both say 7 1/4 US, the fit is somewhat snug, almost like a 7 1/8. Is this attribute common to Borsalinos?

Borsalinos and sizing? Yes, that is a question!

I own eight Borslainos, of which six are modern (bought new) and two are vintage. The two vintage are dead true to size. It's the new ones that were the problem size-wize. Long story short, the ones with a thick leather sweatband are tight to my size (which is 7 1/8 in case anyone out there is inclined to buy me a present), and the ones with a cloth sweatband are loose, actually very loose. Only one of my modern Borsalinos (the Alessandria from Peters Brothers) was true to size.

I have two Borsalino beaver hats with a thick leather sweatband. The first I bought was 7 1/8, and it was too tight, so stupidly I kept it instead of sending it back for another size. The second one I bought one size up in anticipation, and it works well. So when you are buying new, take advantage of return policies. For a vintage hat you're probably stuck. But the good news is that hat shops can stretch a snug hat to fit. You have to get used to that here in the hat zone.

gtdean48
01-03-2011, 04:07 PM
I have a vintage 7 5/8 US, early 1950s, & a more modern 7 5/8, purchased new in late 1980s, both fit just fine. Both are Alessandrias.