PDA

View Full Version : Penman Hats hat hook

The Wiser Hatter
03-03-2011, 05:51 AM
Just noticed thta the penman hat hook is on his Products and services page:
http://www.penmanhats.com/Hatbrushes___Hatboxes.html
The link goes to the Penman hats facebook page with a video of the hat hook.
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=824802856316

No cost of the device has been posted looks like it is well made could be pricey thou.

monbla256
03-03-2011, 07:01 AM
Looks pretty interesting. And coming from Penman I'm sure it will be both well made AND PRICEY :) But now I have one more thing to carry with me. Ah, the 21st century, let's see, my wallet, keys, I-Pad/cell phone, lap top, jacket, hat and now HAT HOOK. Oh for the days when I just put my wallet in my back pocket, keys in my hand, jacket (when needed) and hat on my head and went out the door! Oh well :)

Feraud
03-03-2011, 08:01 AM
An ingenious solution to a common complaint!

Aureliano
03-03-2011, 08:20 AM
The hook costs $65 bucks. If you go to their price list section you'll see it. Pretty ingenious indeed but, in my opinion, still a little too big.

fluteplayer07
03-03-2011, 01:36 PM
I'd buy it, but I see a major flaw in the reasoning behind it... What if you're sitting on the solid-backed chair, or one with vertical slats where there's no half-panel to stretch the elastic band around?

DanielJones
03-03-2011, 01:44 PM
I think that is a pretty nifty idea. Well thought out.:eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

bendingoak
03-03-2011, 01:47 PM
The cord is adjustable so a solid backed chair it will work on. It has a position for it to be mounted on a vertical slats as you call it. Like I show in the car. Take another look at the video.

I did say would work on most chairs and cars, not all.

DJH
03-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Clever idea. I can see this would be quite a conversation starter when going to dinner with a group of people.

fluteplayer07
03-03-2011, 01:55 PM
The cord is adjustable so a solid backed chair it will work on. It has a position for it to be mounted on a vertical slats as you call it. Like I show in the car. Take another look at the video.

I did say would work on most chairs and cars, not all.

Consider me mistaken! I closed the window when you started to fold it up and again, and apparently did not see I had a little ways left in the video. My apologies!

bendingoak
03-03-2011, 02:06 PM
No worries.

animator
03-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Great idea!

bendingoak
03-03-2011, 02:53 PM
You are correct. I would carry the prototypes around using them and people would ask me where I got it. We end up talking hats. They have the same problem as all of us. Where to keep your hat when going out.

bolthead
03-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Personally, I think John is very over priced and I can think of at least 3 other hat makers that are on this forum that are much better. IMHO. [huh]

Jedwbpm
03-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Do we really need to go there? The man is the post before you. If you think it is expensive fine but I don't think you need to mention his craftsmanship. There are places for that and IMHO this particular thread is not it.

PS I don not own or am in the proses of owning a Penman Hat

Jeff

jlee562
03-03-2011, 03:59 PM
VS Custom (beaver): $385 and up
Penman Custom (beaver): $375-490

Seems competitive to me, seeing as how John does everything by hand.

Aureliano
03-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Can we keep the thread about hat hooks? Just saying. Why add drama to a nice, light conversation. PS: I don't own any products by this hatter. But I find the hook chat quite interesting.

fluteplayer07
03-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Can we keep the thread about hat hooks? Just saying. Why add drama to a nice, light conversation. PS: I don't own any products by this hatter. But I find the hook chat quite interesting.

Agreed. Don't make things any harder than they really are... There's not enough time in life to appreciate hats, and deal with a bunch of drama, all at once.

So... How 'bout them hat hooks?

Aureliano
03-03-2011, 05:09 PM
You are correct. I would carry the prototypes around using them and people would ask me where I got it. We end up talking hats. They have the same problem as all of us. Where to keep your hat when going out.

Have you thought about a smaller version? Is that even feasible?

bendingoak
03-03-2011, 05:28 PM
We went though many revisions over the course of a year. We wanted to make something that would go along with the hat stands and jack/stands. Made of would not plastic, Handcrafted not mass produced. made in the USA not china.

I looked at every angle for doing this. I wanted the same high quality material to go with the other care products. This is the route I took. There was nothing on the market for anything like this. I was approached by many to solve this problem of a portable item to use out and about.

Believe me we tried.

azhiker
03-03-2011, 06:08 PM
I think it is a great idea for an age old problem. I am in process of relocating, but I will be ordering one when I get settled in! Made in America did it for me! Lets try to keep our folks in work, it's not always possible, but we can all do a little!

DJH
03-03-2011, 06:54 PM
I've noticed that all the wooden items on John's site look to be of super quality.

Funny, I have three hat makers sites bookmarked, Art, Tumwater and Penman and John is the one I've yet to do any business with. I like the way he promotes his business - very much the modern hat company.

I really like his hats so it's only a matter of time...

Aureliano
03-03-2011, 06:59 PM
The hook looks gorgeous, don't get me wrong. You can tell the attention to detail and the craftsmanship. And also As another lounger commented earlier, with so much stuff we put in our pockets these days, I wish the hook were a tad smaller.

RBH
03-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Very neat!

EggHead
03-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Make it a key chain and/or remote garage door opener or a belt buckle?

I am also thinking of Max Smart shoe phone thing, but that may be a stretch!

Woodfluter
03-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Very well done Mr. Penman! I like it. This is the sort of device I'd come up with...in fact was thinking along similar lines, something just for my own use. Seems very nicely made of wood, and considering the sales volume for something like this and time spent in crafting, a reasonable price.

Free suggestion, for what little it may be worth:
1. Two thicker side pieces, plus thinner central piece which is shorter. Glue together.
2. Flip-out peg pinned through side pieces, flush with them when retracted, held at angle by end of central piece when extended.

The advantage is one-piece construction and faster deploying. Still retains wood construction and lovely appearance of your product. Nothing wrong at all with the original, just similar to what I was pondering.

Congrats on coming up with a solution to a frequent problem for 21st century hat wearers!
And I hope to order a hat from you one of these days.

- Bill

Aureliano
03-03-2011, 08:48 PM
2. Flip-out peg pinned through side pieces, flush with them when retracted, held at angle by end of central piece when extended.

The advantage is one-piece construction and faster deploying. Still retains wood construction and lovely appearance of your product. Nothing wrong at all with the original, just similar to what I was pondering. - Bill

Yes!

bendingoak
03-03-2011, 08:55 PM
If I understand you correctly it would restrict it to one direction and make the body two pieces???????

And how much time are you really going to save?

Woodfluter
03-03-2011, 10:00 PM
If I understand you correctly it would restrict it to one direction and make the body two pieces???????

And how much ti e are you really going to save?

Hi John, sorry for any confusion.

So very hard to put mental and visual images into words. Please forgive me my failings in that regard.

There's various paths to the same result. Some might involve routing one piece of wood, others might glue pieces together. I was looking for the easiest and most economical pathway.

Anyway, the fundamental idea was to have a one-piece item that could be deployed by the flick of a finger. Yes, I understand it's not that simple because you need to secure it to various seat backs, and I get that and think your approach is the right one.

Basically, think of this as three elements:
1. Side pieces which are solid.
2. Central piece which fits into a slot (routed or glued up).

The central piece is hinged to the side pieces with a pin. It could be metal or wood. I'd surely go with metal due to the diameter. Drill hole and hammer it in.

The central slot is shorter. When you pull out the hook part (I called that the central piece), it stops against the shorter part in the center and makes an angle. The same angle as your drilled hole for the peg, more or less. Geez, I wish I could just draw this here.

Anyway, nothing against your original design.
Just want to point this out:
There's lots of folks that will nod and say "OK".
Others that will say "Perfect, couldn't be better!"
Then there's others that think you're really onto something and care enough to comment.

Hope you understand. I support you and your good work.

- Bill

bendingoak
03-03-2011, 10:28 PM
No worries at all but I think you lose something that way. To have the different angles to hang off of. I still think this is far better route to take. I wanted to be use in both direction. That's most important. by splitting the would in half, having a hinge and metal piece like you suggest would really bump up the price. Please believe me when I tell you there was a lot of effort, time and thought put behind this. This project began the beginning of december of 2009.

I also think this way it's more stable and will last a very, very long time. The more moving parts the easier it is to break. Things to consider. Remember, bulldog tough.

Lefty
03-03-2011, 11:00 PM
I understand that one hole is used for the hanger in a vertical position, and it's located toward what I'll call the bottom of the hanger. Then, there's a hole for the horizontal position, but what is the use of the third hanger hole? Is it there for symmetry (to make the triangle of hanger holes), or does it serve a different purpose?

bendingoak
03-04-2011, 06:00 AM
It's there depending on which way you might need to have the cord wrap.

bolthead
03-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Do we really need to go there? The man is the post before you. If you think it is expensive fine but I don't think you need to mention his craftsmanship. There are places for that and IMHO this particular thread is not it.

PS I don not own or am in the proses of owning a Penman Hat

Jeff

Ok, so I guess it's your right to torch me for venting.

Aureliano, you're right, I'm done here.

Sam Craig
03-04-2011, 08:48 AM
Does this remind anyone else of the chain-hangar scene from Raiders?
I was just out of college when I first saw the film and bought that hook line and sinker.
I can just imagine at the next city council meeting, whipping this contraption out and starting in on the assembly ...

Anyway, it looks neat, if you happen to have the right chair to attach it to.
Maybe a double ended hook with a chain in the middle that could hang from any chair? That way you could pull it out of your pocket and relive the Raiders scene!:)

Sam

bendingoak
03-04-2011, 01:03 PM
It does not need a whole in the back or slots on the back of the chair to work. The cord is adjustable.

Sam Craig
03-07-2011, 02:35 PM
I still think the chain would be fun to pull out at a public meeting ... or better yet, at the airport, and see how the TSA would react.

Then again, maybe not ...

Sam

fenris
03-09-2011, 07:58 AM
How come I can't see the video?

randooch
03-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Any way to view the product without exposing my soul to Facebook? I'm still a holdout.

fluteplayer07
03-09-2011, 06:48 PM
It's a publicly available video; I'm not a member of the Social Disease, either.

Gromulus
03-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Not a Facebook groupie either but I could watch the video when this thread first started but cannot access now. Perhaps Facebook changed their access/privacy settings again - for which they are becoming infamous.

jlee562
03-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Non Facebook video link:
http://penmanhats.blogspot.com/2011/03/introducing-portable-hat-hook.html

Hereward
03-10-2011, 02:03 AM
Can't access the video alas!

Rat Pack
03-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Does this remind anyone else of the chain-hangar scene from Raiders?

I thought the same thing when I first saw it :-)

randooch
03-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Non Facebook video link:
http://penmanhats.blogspot.com/2011/03/introducing-portable-hat-hook.html

When I click on that, I get a video window with the words : "This video is private."

email68
03-10-2011, 09:22 PM
I wanna see it.....

bendingoak
03-18-2011, 03:43 PM
I took down the video. I have to hold off for a week or two before shipping out any Portable hat hooks. I have a list of people who filled out order forms for them and I will keep the list until I am able to send them out. I have not taken any money for them and wont until they are ready for shipping.

Stay tuned and thank you for your understanding

John

Jedwbpm
03-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Do you think I will be able to send my Wife a link for Fathers day? :)

Jeff

Blackthorn
03-18-2011, 04:22 PM
I took down the video. I have to hold off for a week or two before shipping out any Portable hat hooks. I have a list of people who filled out order forms for them and I will keep the list until I am able to send them out. I have not taken any money for them and wont until they are ready for shipping.

Stay tuned and thank you for your understanding

John

Why take down the link? It's good advertising until you begin shipping them out. Unless you're changing the design and the new one will be different enough to make that video obsolete. Otherwise it'd be good to leave it up and begin generating some interest.

bendingoak
03-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Im not changing the design at all. It works great and I have ben using it every time I go out but I do need to change the video. When You see the new vid you will understand.

Blackthorn
03-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Im not changing the design at all. It works great and I have ben using it every time I go out but I do need to change the video. When You see the new vid you will understand.

OK, cool.

Sam Craig
03-19-2011, 06:47 AM
Keep up the good work, John. You are onto something good here and it will work out. I believe, considering what people are paying for hats today, this will be a very important product, especially for those who go out a lot and have made that investment!
Just keep it up,

Sam

bendingoak
05-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Heres the revised video....

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=854170588146

rcfko
02-26-2012, 11:53 PM
Is this portable hat hook product still available and if so, how would I go about ordering one? I'd love to get my hand on one of these as I start a new job in a few days that require me to drive around all day and would love to have one of these in my car!