PDA

View Full Version : Brown Shoes with Gray Suit?

Forrest
06-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Gents,
My apologies if this has been discussed before. I've searched and couldn't find a satisfactory answer. What do you all think of brown shoes worn with gray suits? I ask because I am getting married next month, and I will be wearing a 60s era trim fitting dark gray (a tint lighter than charcoal) pinstripe 3-piece suit. I need shoes. I was limiting my shoe search to just black, but a salesman recommended brown. I am intrigued and have done a bit of research on the internet, but now I defer to the respected opinions of the Lounge. What say you?

Rudie
06-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Brown with gray - Yes!
Brown with charcoal - No!

djd
06-28-2011, 12:51 PM
I mostly wear brown shoes with my grey suits - with a coordinated brown belt if I'm wearing one. Mind you , I do live in the country and travel into the city most days... As I recall that was the rule?

Tomasso
06-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Matching dark brown or cordovan with dark gray is certainly acceptable though I'd probably go with black were I standing up at the wedding.

Undertow
06-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Matching dark brown or cordovan with dark gray is certainly acceptable though I'd probably go with black were I standing up at the wedding.

:arated:

Wolfmanjack
06-28-2011, 02:32 PM
No simple answer to this; it depends on the shade of gray and the shade of brown, e.g., light gray flannels and brown suede shoes are a classic, time-honored combo; an equally trad classic is a dark gray suit and cordovan/oxblood wing tips or cap toes.

Tomasso
06-28-2011, 02:59 PM
No simple answer to this; it depends on the shade of gray .It would be this shade.

dark gray (a tint lighter than charcoal)

Dr Kilroy
06-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Hm, I think this combination is OK, but I would really recommend black for weddings. However, do what you want - just know that this is acceptable. ;)

Best regards, Dr

Forrest
06-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Gentlemen, thank you for your helpful replies. Black seems like the safe bet. Still, I am going to be throwing down about $300 for some quality shoes. And I really like brown. Perhaps I will post some photos of the suit to get your opinion. I'll also post a link to the shoes in question. Give me a few hours...
Cheers

Guttersnipe
06-28-2011, 05:04 PM
In a pinch, all a man really needs is one pair of brown shoes and one pair of black shoes . . .

Don't get me wrong, I love shoes and have probably 50 vintage pairs, but for my boring corporate square costume -- e.g. work clothes -- I get by with just two pairs of uber conservative Allen Edmonds.

. . . I usually only wear brown shoes with gray suits, the exceptions being the fore mentioned charcoal-gray and some grays patterned with black dark checks.

Tomasso
06-28-2011, 05:22 PM
In a pinch, all a man really needs is one pair of brown shoes and one pair of black shoes . . ..My first shoes entering the work force out of college were Church's Consuls in black and brown.

http://s7v1.scene7.com/is/image/Harrods/2246687?$productdetail_main_new$

You really should have at least one pair of black shoes for those very dressy occasions, and if you choose cap toes they'll work with Black Tie as well.

dnjan
06-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Nobody would be concerned if you wore black shoes, but some people would be bothered (distracted) by brown.
I would vote for the safe bet.

Talbot
06-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Don't rule out Burgundy or Ox-Blood. Not popular these days (who cares), but can be versatile when on a limited budget.

Forrest
06-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. Here is a photo of the suit. Sorry, not a great pic, and not being worn, but this is just to give you an idea of color:

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac201/ForrestWatson/Random/Suit.jpg

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac201/ForrestWatson/Random/DSC_7153.jpg

And here is the link to the shoe I am considering. You can switch between Brown and Black colors.
http://www.toboot.com/shoes.aspx?cID=1&pID=9202

I'm open to any suggestions regarding style and color.

Ben
06-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Based on the picture, I would vote black.

Talbot
06-28-2011, 08:48 PM
+1 for black.

T

avedwards
06-29-2011, 06:31 AM
Firstly, that looks like a wonderful looking suit. Well done on choosing a three piece as it will look that little bit more special than a two piece at your wedding.

Secondly, like everyone's said brown shoes are prefectly acceptable with a grey suit. I personally think it makes you look very colour coordinated because brown shoes are a more unusual choice with a grey suit than black shoes. With it being a wedding I would go with black shoes though as it adds to the formality of your three piece suit. Whichever you do I hope you have a nice wedding.

Richard Warren
06-29-2011, 08:12 AM
I would highly recommend black shoes for a wedding, as a matter of form not aesthetics.

And since you invited comments, I would venture to suggest more traditionally shaped shoes.

GoldenEraFan
06-29-2011, 08:13 AM
Gray is a neutral color and basically can go with anything. I believe your suit in particular would look great with black shoes, especially for such a special occasion.

MikePotts
06-29-2011, 10:29 AM
I wear this combination quite a bit:

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff372/StuartCowley/P1000864.jpg

(Cole Haan calls it 'British Khaki')with certain shirts & accessories, but I'm with the group on yours, especially for a wedding,

MP

Forrest
06-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Thank you all for your helpful comments. I'm leaning towards black based on your feedback. Also, now that I've been looking at a lot of photos, I think brown looks smashing with the lighter grays! I will do that in the future. For the dark gray of this suit, and given that it is a wedding, black it will be. It is an outdoor ceremony and reception, so I thought I could be a bit more playful with the shoe choice, but I will defer to your expertise. I'll be sure to post a proper picture when it is all put together.

Cheers,
Forrest

Forrest
06-29-2011, 02:45 PM
After doing more shopping, this is what I've come up with. I lucked out and found a pair of Allen Edmonds "Clifton" cap-toed oxfords in black on clearance at Nordstrom Rack for $99. These are $299 shoes. Here's a link:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/allen-edmonds-clifton-oxford/2892042

And here is what they look like with the suit (pardon the lousy focus and bunched pant leg!):

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac201/ForrestWatson/Random/DSC_71732.jpg

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac201/ForrestWatson/Random/DSC_7161.jpg

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac201/ForrestWatson/Random/DSC_7163.jpg

Thoughts?

avedwards
06-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Good choice of shoe and sounds like you got yourself a good bargain.

:offtopic:
If I can offer some advice regarding the suit, the trouser legs look the right length (something one rarely sees these days) but the sleeves look a bit too long. I would recommend shortening them so about 1/4" of cuff shows. This will look especially nice if you wear a shirt with French cuffs. I would also suggest wearing a pocket square as it will make the whole outfit look a bit more special - this is your big day after all and you want to look your best so you can enjoy looking at the photos for years to come :).

Tomasso
06-29-2011, 03:58 PM
I could nitpick the broguing and open lacing as being a bit too casual but only a shoe geek will notice that IRL.

I second the shortening of the sleeves.

I don't know if the shirt/tie combo is what you've chosen for the big day but you might consider a white shirt (french cuffs) and a traditional wedding tie in black/silver or blue/silver.

Richard Warren
06-30-2011, 09:38 AM
Good choice.

Undertow
06-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Excellent advice - I agree on the french cuffs, white shirt. Get a decent tie, a nice pocket square (bankers fold and white if you want to be conservative, or maybe get a tripoint in white, or go all out and get a nice little bunched up roll with some paisley or something). Yeah, sleeves are too long. That shouldn't take much to alter and if you plead with the tailor, they could probably do it right there for you. ;)

Wolfmanjack
06-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Nice buy on the AE's and they look great with that suit. Shorten the sleeves and wear a pocket square. Get a good quality, white French-cuff shirt and silver satin tie. Have a wonderful day!

Oldsarge
06-30-2011, 02:22 PM
And since this is The Fedora Lounge, and since it is an outdoor wedding . . . a black Homburg will 'top' everything off beautifully.

Forrest
06-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Thanks fellas! I appreciate the suggestions. I already planned on getting those sleeves taken in a touch, and I'm still looking for a pocket square. As to the shirt, agreed, French cuffs would be the way to go. As for the tie, well, purple is one of the wedding colors, and I was planning on sticking with the one I'm wearing. Could I instead just have a purple pocket square, and then go with a more traditional wedding tie?

Oh, and the homburg is a cool idea, but I would be afraid it would be perceived as a bit "costume-y." Thoughts?

Oldsarge
06-30-2011, 04:15 PM
No, a lime green or a purple Homburg would be costume-y. Black is formal.

Richard Warren
06-30-2011, 04:56 PM
I think any sort of hat would be an eccentricity best avoided in a wedding. The purple tie is fine.

Tomasso
06-30-2011, 06:50 PM
As for the tie, well, purple is one of the wedding colors.............The color thing is soooo trite. But then, it's her day................:rolleyes:

Forrest
06-30-2011, 08:29 PM
The color thing is soooo trite. But then, it's her day................:rolleyes:

You got that right. And don't you forget it!

Wolfmanjack
07-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Could I instead just have a purple pocket square, and then go with a more traditional wedding tie?

Great idea; go with it.

avedwards
07-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Great idea; go with it.

Regarding the hat, a black or dove grey homburg would look wonderful but is by no means necessary. If you only wear it outside it will avoid looking like costume.

dnjan
07-05-2011, 08:55 AM

Regarding the hat, a black or dove grey homburg would look wonderful but is by no means necessary. If you only wear it outside it will avoid looking like costume.

Second the above, especially the part I made bold.

And remember, it should only show up in the outside photographs.

Forrest
07-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Second the above, especially the part I made bold.

And remember, it should only show up in the outside photographs.
Well, the entire ceremony and reception is outside, so...

avedwards
07-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Well, the entire ceremony and reception is outside, so...

In that case don't wear the hat during the ceremony. You could just wear it at the reception or even just to and from the wedding. The latter would be my personal preference, as someone who wears a hat every day but only then when I think it's appropriate to do so (a wedding ceremony itself isn't IMO).

Oldsarge
07-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Well put, gentlemen. Wear the homburg to and from the wedding, have it on as you arrive so that others will see that you understand style and the dictates of good taste. Remove it before the ceremony (you might give it to one of the groom's men to hold) and don it again as you are leaving. Most satisfactory. If this were in the cooler parts of the year, a pair of dove grey gloves would do well, too, but in the heat of summer they are ridiculous.