Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pencil Mustache

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Brad, that really looks sharp. Seriously, you need to have a professional portrait done (in black & white) with that look.

Me? I've never considered growing one.

I'll draw one on, though......

FedoraLoungephoto.jpg

maintcoder

A-List Customer
Bart said:
Are you related to Wayne Newton? He had one at one time. You look younger, though.

Bart:cheers1:

Nope, but you are not the first one to point out a resemblance. I am just a bit younger (20 years - LOL). I once had an older lady stop me at Lowe's Home Improvement and ask me if I knew I looked like Wayne Newton. :)

I just looked him up on IMDB and I guess I can see what you are saying. This is pretty scary!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Wow, thank you Captain! Splendid!:cheers1:

And thank you gents for the kind compliments.

I was waiting for someone to call me to the carpet, though. I must confess that I use a chestnut colored mustache wax to darken my 'stash. If you look at my temples, they are quite grey, and my mustache is going that way, too. Used to be a nice dark red, but that's the trouble with aging. So I use the wax to even out the color. I tried "Just For Men," but it didn't seem to add and color at all. One day it will be all grey, and I'll stop using the wax. Maybe.

There, my secret's out!

I'm 95% convinced that the actors in movies back in the Golden Era also used some form of coloring, if for no other reason than to make them really show up on film.

Brad

koopkooper

Practically Family
I've had one for the last 6 years and will never shave it off.
I love the fact that even on occasions when I have to wear my radio station uniform at station functions I still look vintage, kinda like a tattoo...it's always there and is always distinct.

I decieded to grow it after seeing Errol Flynn and it's stuck ever since.
Will post photo as soon as I learn how to use the camera I bought.

You might note that there are many variations that you see from time to time in movies and old photos.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
koopkooper said:
You might note that there are many variations that you see from time to time in movies and old photos.

Yep. I liked the look from William Powell, but in the many photos I've found, his never seemed to look the same twice. Lots of different ways to wear it. It's all about finding a style you like.

Brad

Bart

Familiar Face
Brad,

I like the style, having had a stache for years. If you want to wear it "forever", I think you should put some color into it and your hair. Grey on grey?: it won't show, unless you have a perpetual tan (an option) .

Gents, lets face it, when the color leaves us, we become as "ghostly" as the ladies, who we all know, will continue to color their hair. When you're in your 70's, well, then maybe it's time to let it go, I don't know, but time marches on, youth slips by, and the image in the mirror no longer looks the same as 30 years ago, dammit!!.:rolleyes:

Bebop

Practically Family
Brad Bowers said:
I can see where some folks might not think it's as masculine as other mustaches, but it doesn't matter to me what others think. I wanted to bring back a long-gone style. I figure if it's good enough for William Powell and Clark Gable, it's good enough for me.:)

It's also a nice compromise for my wife, as she doesn't normally like mustaches on me, but she likes this one.

Brad
There are a few people that can pull it off quite well and you are one of them. You wear it well. My uncle Claudio is another.

I've tried the pencil a few times, but it has never worked out right. Usually what happens is that I come down with a cold, not shave for about five to six days, and then when I'm better I say, "Great, let's see if I can get a pencil out of this mess.' But of course I screw it up and have to take the whole thing off.

Brad, yours does look great. What's the secret behind getting that neat line? Straight razor?

Regards,

Senator Jack

Bebop

Practically Family
Naama said:
Great story! :D

I think John Waters somehow looks kinda hot............................................ Maybe hot isn't the right word, but he got the special something......

Ah, I like pencil moustaches! clevispin, can't wait to see yours!

Naama
John Waters hot! That makes the rest of us guys that think they are not hot feel alot hotter.:)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack said:
What's the secret behind getting that neat line? Straight razor?

Senator Jack,

The Merkur Moustache Razor works really well, and I used to use it all the time. Now I use it only about once a month to get the proper shape, as I've gotten adept at doing daily maintenance with my cartridge razor.

Brad

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I had one from when I was 15 to 20. I wanted to look like Clark Gable. But it took too much effort and then it started to grow in funny, so I've been clean shaven since.:arated:

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I don't grow facial hair well at all. I've considered a pencil mustache but I always thought I would look like John Waters or that guy from Sparks. Brad has it going on. It makes me reconsider.
Jimmy Buffet has a song saying "I wish I had a pencil thin mustache
the 'Boston Blackie' kind" .

The Wolf

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Brad Bowers said:
I'm 95% convinced that the actors in movies back in the Golden Era also used some form of coloring, if for no other reason than to make them really show up on film.
Exactly. I'm certain some dilligent research would even produce an old advertisement or two hawking a coloring agent or wax of some sort.
What brand of wax do you use? Is it available locally to you or do you buy it online? I ask being a redbeard myself.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Clubman Moustache Wax

Here you go, Mud. Clubman makes it, but I haven't seen it locally, so I just order it from ClassicShaving.com. The nice thing is a little bit goes a long way.

Brad

shamus

Suspended
Paisley said:
Orlando Bloom has one sometimes, and a lot of girls are crazy about him...

pirates_of_the_caribbean_bloom_in_hat.jpg

Bloom sporting a presursor to the fedora in Pirates of the Caribbean

I think that's Orlando with his version of Full Beard!

I'd try the pencil, but I hate shaving and I'd have to shave every day. I get by with a stubble-full beard or goatee as I can skip a day or two. I have gone with the biker and it looks good on my face, but I look mean with and the wifes not crazy about that..

On a side note, I just purchased an old Gillette double adjustable razor as I had to pay something like 18.00 for a pack of sensor blades and it's my way of sticking to the man... double blades are a buck or two. I'll let you know how the old razor works. Plus I saw this ad for a 5 blade razor and I thought that's just crazy, I can't imagine how much those blades would cost.

I'd try a straight razor, but I'm not ready for that yet...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21