PDA

View Full Version : Spelling counts

Pilgrim
03-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Just seen in an Ebay auction for a Borsalino:

"100% poorest quality fur felt construction and completly unlined."

Two typos in one sentence: the second is just confidence-sapping, the first is spectacularly inappropriate!

However, to give credit where it's due, this sentence is found lower down, which contains both another calamity and a cause for praise:

"It is trimmed with a narrow accented black poorest quality grosgrain band."

It may be poorest quality, but not one in 100 Ebay sellers spells "grosgrain" correctly!:fing28:

Marc Chevalier
03-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Half the folks who post here misspell a word or two per paragraph.

im nott serprised!

LolitaHaze
03-14-2006, 02:14 PM
That includes me! I am a horrible speller. I do *try* to catch my mistakes though...

Marc Chevalier
03-14-2006, 02:16 PM
That counts. Thanks for it!

BellyTank
03-14-2006, 02:42 PM
A horrible speller..., or AN horrible speller..? :kick:

B
R

Marc Chevalier
03-14-2006, 02:43 PM
Eliza Dolittle was probably an 'orrible speller.

Baggers
03-14-2006, 03:21 PM
"Hookd on foniks wurked fur me.":rolleyes:

BellyTank
03-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Eliza Dolittle was probably an 'orrible speller.

...so you got that then.

T
B

Bebop
03-14-2006, 04:59 PM
I also have noticed that on ebay. I have never heard of a good excuse for not being able to spell correctly. I am guilty of a few inexcusable reasons myself. People complain about the ill dressed and how the way you dress says alot about you and I think that the way you spell and use language say alot more about you. English is my second language so maybe that is why I am so sensitive about it's use. There also seems to be a trend to not use capitol letters when online. If I say something I get the old, "you know what I mean. Quit being so anal." There are several dictionaries online that can help you spell when in doubt. www.m-w.com

LolitaHaze
03-14-2006, 05:16 PM
The thing that amuses me about Ebay is when someone is selling a CD by a particular artist, I will use Chris Isaak as an example, and they misspell the name that is clearly on the CD! People wonder why their CD's for Chris "Issac" don't sell.

LEUII
03-14-2006, 06:12 PM
I get never ending grief for my spelling on two counts:

One, I was taught according to Oxford; even though I live in the U.S. Thus, I spell 'favorite' as favourite and 'gray' as grey, and so on.

Second, one of my majors was English. When I goof I catch it! Especially from my father who is a retired English and lingustics professor.

Miss Neecerie
03-14-2006, 06:20 PM
I get never ending grief for my spelling on two counts:

One, I was taught according to Oxford; even though I live in the U.S. Thus, I spell 'favorite' as favourite and 'gray' as grey, and so on.

Second, one of my majors was English. When I goof I catch it! Especially from my father who is a retired English and lingustics professor.

Rest Assured, there are quite a few other 'proper' spellers in here, and no one will critique that aspect of your language here.

As for myself, I am bi-dialectal in terms of spelling, having lived in the UK for a few years and gotten a degree whilst there. After being back a few years now, it becomes a 'whim' as to which spelling I use and when, although if i am not paying attention I still tend to the UK versions.

I also have a degree in Linguistics, but that doesn't guarantee anything except the ability to analyse -how- people talk.