PDA

View Full Version : Famous TV hats

Tango Yankee
06-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Last night I watched the latest Law and Order: Criminal Intent. The murder victim, a gossip columnist, was a young man who wore a fedora, wore a suit and what looked like 50s-era glasses, and used an old Remington instead of a computer to type his columns. After he's killed in the beginning the last shot is of his fedora, lying in a puddle next to his car.

In this and other L&O shows I've seen a couple of Assistant District Attorneys as well as one of the DAs wearing fedoras. It got me wondering... are there any other shows on TV set in the current time frame where fedoras show up from time to time? I can't think of any at the moment, but then there are only a few shows I watch regularly. (Yes, I know about the guy in Myth Busters!)

Just curious,

Tom

DrQuest
06-16-2008, 02:43 PM
When Homicide: Life On The Street was on, Andre Braugher wore a fedora a few times. I always thought he looked sharp with it, in addition to being a wonderful actor.

Mr. Lucky
06-16-2008, 02:55 PM
When Homicide: Life On The Street was on, Andre Braugher wore a fedora a few times. I always thought he looked sharp with it, in addition to being a wonderful actor.
And don't forget Lewis and his 'lid' - a leather porkpie.

MAB1
06-16-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm a L&O junkie and see lots of hats on those NYC streets.

Until I aquired one, I didn't realize that Steven Hill (Role: D.A. Adam Schiff) wore an Irish walking hat. It made me appreciate mine more.

DrSpeed
06-18-2008, 07:02 AM
My wife and daughter (OK, I'm watching too) are watching the rerun of McLeod's daughters. Lots of Akubra's passing by.

suitedcboy
12-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Matt Lauer was wearing what I believe to be a Borsalino fedora this morning on the Today show. I think that was a "Borsalino" script pin on the bow when he turned on camera. He has worn a fedora in the past also but I have seen him in it already a few times this fall. He must be feeling that it is a little more appropriate or his reaching age 50 has made him break free of his reservations.
Nice pinch in the crown and a great snap to the brim. He wears it well.

John in Covina
12-08-2008, 09:14 AM
I think I have seen Al Roker in a fedora or Trilby previously.

Spats McGee
12-08-2008, 09:24 AM
I think Al's been wearing fedoras for "parade duty" for a few years now and I saw him working the Thanksgiving Day parade in a sharp fedora.

HatMagnet
12-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Both Roker and Lauer wear Fedoras on a fairly regular basis in cold weather. I've also noticed hats showing up in more TV programs. I've been seeing commercials for a new program (can't remember the name) starring Timothy Hutton and he is wearing different hats in several scenes. Maybe hats are making a comeback. :eusa_clap

funneman
12-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Roker's looks a lot like a Jaxon to me.

At least the one he wore during the Macy's Parade did.

Both Al and Matt look great in them.

BTW suitedcboy, I love the outfit in your avatar.

You're looking very "Junior Brown-ish"

Wil Tam
12-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Both Roker and Lauer wear Fedoras on a fairly regular basis in cold weather. I've also noticed hats showing up in more TV programs. I've been seeing commercials for a new program (can't remember the name) starring Timothy Hutton and he is wearing different hats in several scenes. Maybe hats are making a comeback. :eusa_clap

I watched the pilot last night and it was good kinda reminded me of that Robert Redford movie 'Sneakers"... was watching Noah Wiley in the Librarian before that and he was sporting a few also.

duggap
12-08-2008, 01:54 PM
The hat Matt Lauer wore last year was a Borsolina Como. I haven't seen him in it so far this year. The hat Al Roker wears is a good looking hat. Judging from the height of the crown, I would think it is a modern hat. But it is great that they are wearing them.:eusa_clap

Not-Bogart13
12-08-2008, 01:56 PM
I spotted Lauer wearing a midnight blue Borsie last winter. Was it that one?

RBH
12-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Heres a fairly recent shot of Lauer in fedora.
He wears it well.

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2007/startracks/070122/madonna.jpg

suitedcboy
12-08-2008, 06:04 PM
I spotted Lauer wearing a midnight blue Borsie last winter. Was it that one?

No, it appears he has gotten a new one and what looks to be a better one. That blue one looked like a costume hat to me since it appeared to have been easily messed up.

The one he had on this morning looked like Jimmy The Lid may have been the stylist.
Lester Holt also had on a nice lid, the first time I've seen him in a fedora.
I have seen Al and Matt in Fedoras but I guess my point was that Matt was wearing a much better example of a nice fedora.

jimmy the lid
12-08-2008, 06:28 PM
The one he had on this morning looked like Jimmy The Lid may have been the stylist.

lol lol lol

Cheers,
JtL

Colby Jack
12-08-2008, 06:52 PM
Rusty...That is really sweet of Matt...He let his grandmother hang on him and wear his hat...lol :D lol

David Conwill
12-08-2008, 09:41 PM
I've been seeing commercials for a new program (can't remember the name) starring Timothy Hutton...

The show is called Leverage.

I think it's also worth noting that nearly all of the mainstream department stores are offering (wool) felt fedoras with grosgrain ribbons, something I don't recall having seen anytime in the recent past. The fedora is catching on, or at least becoming "in" for a season or two. I've also noticed far more men of all ages wearing flat caps since the snow started falling. It's almost as if as the economy gets worse, people want to look nicer.

-Dave

KatintheHat
12-09-2008, 07:21 AM
I saw Meredith Vieira wearing one the other day. :)

zetwal
01-07-2010, 06:11 AM
I saw a reporter wearing a Trilby on the local news today. I thought that we had a thread for such sightings. But I couldn't find it. Anyway, here it is. :p

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo230/zetwal/TV2.jpg

kpreed
01-07-2010, 06:25 AM
I saw a reporter wearing a Trilby on the local news today. I thought that we had a thread for such sightings. But I couldn't find it. Anyway, here it is. :p

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo230/zetwal/TV2.jpg
I really hope the wearing of hats on T.V. for outside shots, is a newish trend, not just a cold weather item.
Thank You for sharing this.

Brian Sheridan
01-07-2010, 07:42 AM
LOL...I wore my grey fedora in my standup last Monday when covering the impact of new airlines rules on travelers (WJET-TV, Erie, PA). It was blowing, snowing, and freezing so it looked great as I stood outside the terminal. One of the (young) producers saw it and said "That is so cool. You look like a cop!"

I'll try to post a pic.

Doesn't that reporter know you are supposed to remove your hat while indoors?

Lefty
01-07-2010, 10:29 AM
That guy looks terrible. He makes me want to stop wearing hats, scarves, and all patterns.

thunderw21
01-07-2010, 10:52 AM
That guy looks terrible. He makes me want to stop wearing hats, scarves, and all patterns.

Yes, that hat needs to be killed with fire and/or nuked from orbit, just to be sure.

Hopefully he'll soon move to more mature hats.

Fletch
01-07-2010, 10:59 AM
NBC's Today (http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=716484&postcount=13) has ok'd Matt and Al to wear hats in "hat weather." But that's not a hard news gig, and if Al were not already in an accepted hat-wearing demographic, NBC probably would not have gone for it.

Otherwise it's limited to commentators with personae, such as blabber-con Matt Drudge, who thinks he's Winchell, and boxing writer Bert Sugar, who wishes he was.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nRY3iU2aob0/SQCxDngUuTI/AAAAAAAAAPA/7n6Qn7VLTLo/s200/matt+drudge-2.jpghttp://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2007/08/18/amd_home_sugar.jpg

Bassman
01-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Doesn't that reporter know you are supposed to remove your hat while indoors?

He's outdoors. Notice the chain link fence to his right.
C'mon! Hone those investigative reporter skills!lol

Sam Craig
01-07-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm a daily newspaper editor and I decided years ago it was time to take a stand for hat wear.

More of us need to get on board and bring back the daily wear of hats.

Maybe we can stroll downtown and buy a decent new hat again, someday.

Maybe.

Brian Sheridan
01-07-2010, 04:51 PM
CNN's Don Lemon is an avid hat wearer.

Fletch
01-07-2010, 04:54 PM
He generally has a very refined style - sorta Mad Man, but hipper, with modern colors.

Fletch
01-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Yes, that hat needs to be killed with fire and/or nuked from orbit, just to be sure.

Hopefully he'll soon move to more mature hats.Honestly? Maybe not. This may be a context where it's ok to look trendy/gimmicky, but making the look more mature would seem pretentious.

thunderw21
01-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Honestly? Maybe not. This may be a context where it's ok to look trendy/gimmicky, but making the look more mature would seem pretentious.

I don't know, I don't like the idea of getting my news from someone who wears the same hat as a 'gansta' wannabe, high school kid or urban youth. Newsmen are supposed to be trustworthy in their reporting of both serious and lighthearted news; looking trustworthy when they do so goes a long way. I think he looks silly, not trustworthy.

A full blown '30s style overcoat with a tall crowned, reversed tapered fedora would probably look silly too. There needs to be a happy medium for newspeople: modern but understated.

elvisroe
01-08-2010, 12:11 AM
Nice to see a few other journos around the lounge!

I posted this elsewhere a few weeks back after I tried to sneak my new Akubra Hampton on air.

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx74/elvisroe/greyhat/CHRIS_HAT_3.jpg

I got an amused thumbs down from the director and read the rest of the bulletin with hat hair...a distinct disadvantage of hat-wearing in this game!

elvisroe
01-08-2010, 01:10 AM
My little brother is also a journalist/photographer working for a small regional newspaper. Part of his job is to get around on weekends and take social pix at parties and sporting events.

He often wears his Hampton (similar to mine above) while on the job in the sun and a few months ago was copping abuse from a group of drunk, scruffy rugby fans. For some reason they took a dislike to his lid and let him know in no uncertain terms. One guy in particular kept insisting "that's just so uncool/unfashionable/daggy etc."

While he laughed it off at the time he soon got his revenge and published a photo of the guy captioned "local Fashionista John Smith cheers on the Rams".
lol

Matt Deckard
01-08-2010, 01:39 AM
I could see why he'd not want it on the air indoors. You doing any field work?

4and1
01-08-2010, 02:58 AM
While he laughed it off at the time he soon got his revenge and published a photo of the guy captioned "local Fashionista John Smith cheers on the Rams".
lol

That's great. I like that.

ScionPI2005
01-08-2010, 10:29 AM

Hey now, that scarf and hat look like they could be sold together in a set! lol

Honestly, he doesn't look that bad to me. Sure, it's not a fedora I'd wear, but it most CERTAINLY looks better than what I see some people wearing from time to time.

Bassman
01-08-2010, 11:24 AM
I could see why he'd not want it on the air indoors. You doing any field work?
Right. ;) That'd look just great out in the field!

suitedcboy
01-08-2010, 02:10 PM

Thanks Lefty, you stopped me from violating one of the rules my momma (yes I'm from the deep South) raised me to obey: if you can't say something nice don't say anything.

Richard Warren
01-08-2010, 02:42 PM
The guy is in Austin, in the state of Texas, and he's wearing that hat?

Brian Sheridan
01-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Here is my standup from last Monday, outside our airport. The hat is not one of my vintage ones but a Bailey from a few years ago.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/BrianSheridan/fb557d50.jpg

Lefty
01-08-2010, 03:17 PM
That's the way to do it. :eusa_clap

ScionPI2005
01-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Very nice Brian! :eusa_clap

AlterEgo
01-09-2010, 02:46 PM
NBC's Today (http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=716484&postcount=13) has ok'd Matt and Al to wear hats in "hat weather." But that's not a hard news gig, and if Al were not already in an accepted hat-wearing demographic, NBC probably would not have gone for it.
]

Al's been wearing the same fedora during this frigid spell for outdoor shots, and I've tried my darndest to identify exactly what lid it is, to no avail. Anyone know or care to take a guess?

Matt has several, most recently sporting a rather stingy-brimmed tweed trilby. He's a sharp dresser really into all things sartorial, so it's probably a high-dollar name brand. Got any idea what specific hat it is?

zetwal
09-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Not a fedora, but I thought it an interesting sighting.

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo230/zetwal/fc90631e.jpg

DRB
09-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Brian Sheridan: You look great in that pic. If I may speak for all of us, you did all us hat wearers proud. Keep it up.

job
11-13-2011, 07:58 PM
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g437/job_jr/tdy_lauer_hat_101022300w.jpg

Matt lauer looking like the character Don Draper on Mad Men.

job
11-14-2011, 06:17 AM
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g437/job_jr/images30.jpg
First episode was good.

bowlerman
11-14-2011, 06:30 AM
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g437/job_jr/images30.jpg
First episode was good.

+1

hatophile
11-14-2011, 06:43 AM
I watched the Country Music Awards last week. To me, more pop than country, but what was interesting, in addtion to the requisite cowboy hats, there were a few stingy brim fedoras in the crowd and on some of the performers.

monbla256
11-14-2011, 07:35 AM
On broadcast TV there is a police detective who wears a stingy brim all the time. It's Maria Bello on Prime Suspect. The series is nowhere near as good as the UK series it's vaguely modeled after the one that had Helen Miran in it as the lead detective, but hey it's US TV :)

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh215/michaelintexas/Hats/imagesCAAL1QLR.jpg

Sam Craig
11-14-2011, 07:38 AM
If TV were REALLY powerful ...
And if TV were REALLY good ...

Then we would have hat counters out of the 40s in every Walmart.

But it's NOT.

Suffering Sam

gdc
11-14-2011, 07:58 AM
As a relatively new Fedora wearer and new lounger I have been noticing the hats that people wear. Fedoras are rarely worn here and they are mostly stingies. Seeing anything resembling a Fedora on TV is welcome. Although TV programming influences behavior I see it more as a reflection of the culture. It's a business and the 'powers that be' choose Fedora props as money making tools, nothing else.

monbla256
11-14-2011, 07:59 AM
If TV were REALLY powerful ...
And if TV were REALLY good ...

Then we would have hat counters out of the 40s in every Walmart.

But it's NOT.

Suffering Sam

Speaking of Wallyworld, I'm sure this new series has increased sales of those polystraw Stingies by at least 3x :) BTW, Helen Miran did not wear a hat in the original :)

job
11-14-2011, 07:59 AM
Leonard Elmore the creator of the characters on which the tv show Justified is based wanted the Raylan Givens character to wear a Open Road. I don't know who makes the hat he wears but at least it's not a George Strait style with wings.
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g437/job_jr/Timothy-Olyphant.jpg

monbla256
11-14-2011, 08:02 AM
Leonard Elmore the creator of the characters on which the tv show Justified is based wanted the Raylan Givens character to wear a Open Road. I don't know who makes the hat he wears but at least it's not a George Strait style with wings.

Well he lost on that one. It's DEFINATELY NOT an OR :)

job
11-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Some angles of the hat look good. It could be that there is more than one hat used on Justified. I agree about the OR.

m0nk
11-14-2011, 08:05 AM
I saw it mentioned on one of the older posts, but Timothy Hutton has been wearing a wide variety of hats throughout the seasons of Leverage. I've seen numerous styles of Panamas, a couple REAL fedoras, and a bunch of Walmart stingies. There was an episode where he had a great looking, black fedora, semi-wide brim (probably close to 3") that reminded me of a Borsalino. If anyone here knows more about his hats, please fill us in.

I can say that John Penman did a hat for Christian Kane in this season that looked really cool.

gtdean48
11-14-2011, 08:45 AM

This topic was covered back in season 1 of Justified. Call the Garland Outlet shop & they'll tell you the right model...

Benzadmiral
11-14-2011, 09:48 AM
I saw it mentioned on one of the older posts, but Timothy Hutton has been wearing a wide variety of hats throughout the seasons of Leverage. I've seen numerous styles of Panamas, a couple REAL fedoras, and a bunch of Walmart stingies. There was an episode where he had a great looking, black fedora, semi-wide brim (probably close to 3") that reminded me of a Borsalino. If anyone here knows more about his hats, please fill us in.
I recall Hutton sported several fedoras some years ago during the "Nero Wolfe" series on A & E. That was set in a generic late-'40s to early '50s milieu, so you'd expect men to be wearing hats. Hutton carried it off well.

AtomicEraTom
11-14-2011, 11:23 AM
I was watching TV the other night and there was a U.S. Cellular commercial on. They were in the bleachers at a game and several of the folks watching were wearing Trilbies. I think it was supposed to have a sixties feel to it, though.

m0nk
11-14-2011, 11:43 AM
I recall Hutton sported several fedoras some years ago during the "Nero Wolfe" series on A & E. That was set in a generic late-'40s to early '50s milieu, so you'd expect men to be wearing hats. Hutton carried it off well.
Yeah, I remember that series well. His character in that show was by far my favorite. And he definitely carries the look off well, too. It's a shame it was cancelled so quickly, but like many series early on in that decade, it was ahead of it's time and became a casualty of "Reality TV".

bowlerman
11-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Just finished watching the second episode of Hell on Wheels. Those hats pretty much send me into irreversible lidlust. One of each, please. ;)

job
11-15-2011, 05:25 AM
I know what you mean about the hats on this show.. I am starting to want a REAL western type hat not a modern cowboy hat. I think a western style fedora homburg is high on my next custom hat wish list.

Kirk H.
11-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Yeah, I remember that series well. His character in that show was by far my favorite. And he definitely carries the look off well, too. It's a shame it was cancelled so quickly, but like many series early on in that decade, it was ahead of it's time and became a casualty of "Reality TV".

I too liked that show and hate that it got axed after only two seasons. One of the reasons I heard that it got cut was the cost in filming it. It is such a shame. And now the actor who played Wolfe passed away several months ago. The clothes, cars, sets, and the chemistry between the actors made that a great show.

Benzadmiral
11-16-2011, 08:04 AM
I too liked that show and hate that it got axed after only two seasons. One of the reasons I heard that it got cut was the cost in filming it. It is such a shame. And now the actor who played Wolfe passed away several months ago. The clothes, cars, sets, and the chemistry between the actors made that a great show.
It was the best and most loving creation of Rex Stout's works I've ever seen. While I disagreed a bit with the casting of Maury Chaykin -- he seemed a little old for the fiftyish Wolfe, and he or the director had the character yell a bit too much -- the rest was superb. I dip back into the Wolfe stories every year or so, and even when I remember who the murderer is, I still enjoy it. Now that's writing.

Now that my appreciation of fedoras has been sharpened, I need to watch some of the A & E episodes again.

m0nk
11-16-2011, 09:03 AM
That's a shame he passed away, I didn't know that. But yes, everything about that show was done incredibly well and I've noticed that several of the actors in the series show up in Leverage now too with every bit of chemistry that they had in Nero Wolfe.

RBH
11-25-2012, 05:47 PM
This guy wears a hat, and he is from Hot Springs Arkansas.

http://vimeo.com/49042530

gtdean48
08-26-2013, 12:47 PM
TV hats...
http://tv.yahoo.com/photos/tv-s-top-hats-hats-off-to-the-coolest-lids-in-primetime-1377042423-slideshow/walter-white-bryan-cranston-photo-1377042381323.html

Really only care for #13...

ManofKent
08-26-2013, 12:54 PM
TV hats...
http://tv.yahoo.com/photos/tv-s-top-hats-hats-off-to-the-coolest-lids-in-primetime-1377042423-slideshow/walter-white-bryan-cranston-photo-1377042381323.html

15 for me :)

TheDane
08-26-2013, 01:13 PM
40 years of playing Appalachian old time stringband music and bluegrass makes Minnie Pearl (#8) my favorite. She was a wonderful character with a gorgeous hat :)

T Jones
08-26-2013, 02:50 PM
When I was a kid, you were either a Batman fan or a Green Hornet fan. I was a Green Hornet fan...

campy
08-26-2013, 04:33 PM
When I was a kid, you were either a Batman fan or a Green Hornet fan. I was a Green Hornet fan...I liked both shows.

Nyah
08-26-2013, 06:45 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6NrtvtADp_g/TyfiaZBLyFI/AAAAAAAABV4/SVNWCnZBHIs/s400/00012929_dvm000224d_2.jpg

carldelo
08-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Hard to say who's working it better here...

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/gallery/caps/kirk-spock-car-apieceoftheaction.jpg

Zombie_61
08-26-2013, 10:35 PM
When I was a kid, you were either a Batman fan or a Green Hornet fan. I was a Green Hornet fan...I saw Van Williams at a convention several years ago and, among other things, he said he wasn't too disappointed when the show got cancelled because filming during the summer in California in a three-piece wool suit and a wool overcoat wasn't particularly comfortable, and that the masks gave him and Bruce Lee headaches. He also mentioned his work as a reserve deputy with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department in Malibu, and said that every once in a while someone would suddenly recognize his voice and comment, "Oh man, I just got busted by the Green Hornet!" lol

By the way, I liked both Batman and The Green Hornet as well, but they were so different in tone that it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Getting back on topic, although it's not exactly famous, I'd take Caine's hat from Kung Fu over any of the hats in the article:

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/Zombie_61/Miscellaneous/Caine_Hat_zps3bf3ffb3.gif

I loves me a good "beater" hat. :D

T Jones
08-27-2013, 05:07 AM
I saw Van Williams at a convention several years ago and, among other things, he said he wasn't too disappointed when the show got cancelled because filming during the summer in California in a three-piece wool suit and a wool overcoat wasn't particularly comfortable, and that the masks gave him and Bruce Lee headaches. He also mentioned his work as a reserve deputy with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department in Malibu, and said that every once in a while someone would suddenly recognize his voice and comment, "Oh man, I just got busted by the Green Hornet!" lol

By the way, I liked both Batman and The Green Hornet as well, but they were so different in tone that it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Getting back on topic, although it's not exactly famous, I'd take Caine's hat from Kung Fu over any of the hats in the article:

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/Zombie_61/Miscellaneous/Caine_Hat_zps3bf3ffb3.gif

I loves me a good "beater" hat. :D

I remember Kung Fu. I used to watch it every week. What kind of hat is he wearing? Is that an Open Road?

Joao Encarnado
08-27-2013, 07:28 AM
#2 (but not with that hatband) and #13 for me.

TheDane
08-27-2013, 08:11 AM
Is that an Open Road?
I think, the ribbon is too wide. It looks like a 5 ligne, where the OR's is a 4 ligne.

Hatwise, one of my absolute TV-favorites is Foyle's War:

http://kpbs.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/croppedphotos/2010/05/13/mystery-foyleswar-hide_t614.jpg?a3ca5463f16dc11451266bb717d38a6025dc ea0e

I love the great number of wonderful late 30's and 40's hats :)

ManofKent
08-27-2013, 08:30 AM
I think, the ribbon is too wide. It looks like a 5 ligne, where the OR's is a 4 ligne.

Hatwise, one of my absolute TV-favorites is Foyle's War:

I love the great number of wonderful late 30's and 40's hats :)

Any idea what that one is?

TheDane
08-27-2013, 09:28 AM
Any idea what that one is?

If you're asking for the maker, I thank you for your strong confidence in my knowledge, Richard. I imagine it's custom-made for the series, but I have no clue :)

I'm not sure, I would be comfortable wearing a hat with that silhouette - but I sure like the looks on others

job
08-27-2013, 11:11 AM
David Caradine from Kung Fu.

http://www.neatorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/2854106630102774342S600x600Q85-500x277.jpg

Carroll O'connor from All in the family.

http://viewfrommiddleclass.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/archie.jpg

ManofKent
08-27-2013, 11:29 AM
If you're asking for the maker, I thank you for your strong confidence in my knowledge, Richard. I imagine it's custom-made for the series, but I have no clue :)

I'm not sure, I would be comfortable wearing a hat with that silhouette - but I sure like the looks on others

It was worth a try :)

Web searches don't bring forth results. If they're custom then they've been imported, unless they've found our missing hat makers :(

I rather like the profile on that hat, and the colour.

TheDane
08-27-2013, 12:25 PM
It was worth a try :) [...] If they're custom then they've been imported, unless they've found our missing hat makers

Of course, it was worth a try! Hopefully we both know, that the only stupid question is the one, that was never asked ;)

You may be in the same situation as us Danes. We have only have one or two retailer shops - but no real hatters. Yet, there's a couple of Danish hatters, supplying the movie and theatre business with hats. I'm aware that the costume department at our national theatre has one or two formaly trained hatters employed.

There is actually one small factory in Copenhagen, that makes some hats - as I understand it, mainly stiff and ceremonial hats. He also makes the Danish designed Adler Fedora (http://www.iainclaridge.co.uk/blog/2185) ... you can see him work on one here (http://vimeo.com/11159061). He has made a few fedoras for a couple of old colleagues from my theatre-days. Not really nice and luxurious - but cheap [huh]

fedoracentric
08-27-2013, 02:04 PM
Wow. That Yahoo slide show was horrible. Missed many dozens of hats, especially the many westerns. And where's Huggy Bear...

ManofKent
08-27-2013, 06:14 PM
Of course, it was worth a try! Hopefully we both know, that the only stupid question is the one, that was never asked ;)

You may be in the same situation as us Danes. We have only have one or two retailer shops - but no real hatters. Yet, there's a couple of Danish hatters, supplying the movie and theatre business with hats. I'm aware that the costume department at our national theatre has one or two formaly trained hatters employed.

There is actually one small factory in Copenhagen, that makes some hats - as I understand it, mainly stiff and ceremonial hats. He also makes the Danish designed Adler Fedora (http://www.iainclaridge.co.uk/blog/2185) ... you can see him work on one here (http://vimeo.com/11159061). He has made a few fedoras for a couple of old colleagues from my theatre-days. Not really nice and luxurious - but cheap [huh]

Christy's and Olney still produce fur felt hats in the UK using imported felts, and there are a few companies who produce woolies and caps. No custom hat makers that I'm aware of though. That Adler Fedora is an interesting beast!

For UK members of a certain age there's always Mr Benn:

Zombie_61
08-27-2013, 10:54 PM
I remember Kung Fu. I used to watch it every week. What kind of hat is he wearing? Is that an Open Road?In one of the commentaries on the second season DVD set, David Carradine has this to say about the hat: "I chose the hat because I thought this was kind of an "everyman" character, and I wanted a hat that looked like...something like Jimmy Stewart would wear. And, so we found this Stetson, uh, I think it's actually called a "Sheriff's" model, and, uh, you know, messed it up. And, of course, it got messier as, uh, the show went on." Aside from that, I have no idea. I suppose it could be an Open Road that was modified, which might explain the ribbon difference TheDane mentioned in post #78, but someone far more knowledgeable about Stetson's history than I am would have to make that determination.

ManofKent
08-28-2013, 01:07 AM
Tom Baker as the fourth Doctor in one of his fedoras (Ithink there were about 3 or 4 across the series, as well as a deerstalker):

hatflick1
08-28-2013, 08:41 AM
What's curious to me is the old 50's Highway Patrol in which
star Broderick Crawford always wore a suit and fedora. On the
highway?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.timvp.com/hwypat3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.timvp.com/hwypatrl.html&usg=__7V-IjkcYk1TIR01EqNaXyk4DJ-I=&h=250&w=236&sz=23&hl=en&start=4&zoom=1&tbnid=KfYuVZjuYQv_RM:&tbnh=111&tbnw=105&ei=ExgeUtqRFeG1iwL_nYDIDQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhighway%2Bpatrol%2Bbroderick%2Bcrawfo rd%26um%3D1%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26hl%3Den %26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&sa=X&ved=0CDQQrQMwAw

Whereas Andy Griffith, as Sheriff Taylor in the Andy Griffith show, NEVER wore his uniform cap.
Why I find this of interest is because my wife was pulled over for speeding many
years ago when my son was a toddler and strapped into the car seat. When
the officer asked my wife for her license and registration, my son asked, "Where's
your hat?" The officer groused that it was in the patrol car. Being a kid, my son
asked the same question again. Same answer from the edgy cop. My son then, in
his innocent wisdom said, "But you have to wear your hat" at which point the
cop shrugged, told my wife to watch her speed, said goodbye to my son and
got back in his car. No citation drawn.
Hat's off to my boy!

McGeezer
08-29-2013, 01:19 AM
Jack Webb as Joe Friday on Dragnet?3869

H Weinstein
08-29-2013, 04:49 AM
TV hats...

Though I'd never wear one, nobody ever looked classier in a hat than Patrick McNee wearing the classic British bowler as the dapper John Steed in THE AVENGERS. I love that the photo feature says he wore his own hat.

tuco1963
08-30-2013, 09:03 PM
i agree hw
pat mcnee in the avengers ruled !
john steeds hand me downs from cathy gale (honor blackman - pussy galore) to dianna rigg ( emma peel ) to james bond the one and only james bond stands testament that he is the number one super spy

KY Gentleman
08-30-2013, 09:22 PM
The sheriff's hat Rick wears in The Walking Dead. Now his son Carl wears it and it seems to make him a stronger character.

Dan Allen
08-31-2013, 05:19 AM
Jimmy Durante always wore a fedora in a style that was his own. I don't think I cold pull it off.

KingAndrew
09-01-2013, 07:51 AM
I am surprised no one has mentioned Stacy Keach as Mike Hammer. That was certainly one that struck me when I was younger.

Also: Yogi Bear.

I am very glad that ManofKent spoke up for the fourth Doctor's fedoras, which are much more iconic than the current Doctor's fez (although I do agree that fezzes--and bow ties--are cool). The fifth Doctor also wore a fine panama hat with his cricketeer's jacket and celery stick.

And Hoss Cartwright's huge white cowboy hat was another fascination of my youth. That hat really had charisma.

KingAndrew
09-01-2013, 07:54 AM
I am surprised no one has mentioned Stacy Keach as Mike Hammer. That was certainly one that struck me when I was younger.

Also: Yogi Bear.

I am very glad that ManofKent spoke up for the fourth Doctor's fedoras, which are much more iconic than the current Doctor's fez (although I do agree that fezzes--and bow ties--are cool). The fifth Doctor also wore a fine panama hat with his cricketeer's jacket and celery stick.

And Hoss Cartwright's huge white cowboy hat was another fascination of my youth. That hat really had charisma.

KY Gentleman
09-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Gilligan's bucket hat. Without it he would have just been "that guy from Dobie Gillis."

mingoslim
09-02-2013, 07:44 AM
TV hats...

Lidsville . . . Now that is a blast from the past!

mingoslim
09-02-2013, 07:50 AM
My TV Hat Favorite still has to be George Reeves as Clark Kent . . .

Zombie_61
09-02-2013, 11:10 AM
Gilligan's bucket hat. Without it he would have just been "that guy from Dobie Gillis."Look at it this way--now you know that the "G" in Maynard G. Krebs stands for "Gilligan". :D

McGeezer
09-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Harry Anderson4027 on "Night Court" usually wore a fedora and was fond of ties from the 30's and 40's.