PDA

View Full Version : FDR's Cape

Marc Chevalier
05-24-2006, 03:03 PM
This is exactly the sort of cape that Franklin Delano Roosevelt wore at the Yalta conference. He wore it there with a grey flannel D/B suit underneath it. Looked incredibly good. This particular one was made two years before the Yalta Conference.

I am shocked that it went for such a low price on eBay. Did anyone here win it?

The auction was here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazing-Vintage-1940s-Wool-Naval-Navy-Cape-WOW_W0QQitemZ8421370658QQcategoryZ52385QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g276/marcchevalier/may17l.jpg

And here are photos of FDR at Yalta. (Thanks, Scotrace!) Note his cape:

http://www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/images/fdraty45.gif
http://www.europa-infoshop.de/Die_Union/Info_s___News/Portrait/Winston_Churchill/a_c_roosevelt-stalin-yalta.jpghttp://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g276/marcchevalier/Yalta_Conference.jpg

jamespowers
05-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Holy Crimony! I'll take four at that price. :eek:

Regards,

J

scotrace
05-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Oh no... that makes me ill. I would have bid to the death for that cape.

The pictures of FDR at Yalta have always held a big fascination for me because of that cape! He looks really great in it and I thought it took some courage to wear it. Few men could have pulled it off - he made it look dramatic. It adds to his legend, I think.

Probably, it was chosen to help disguise his wasting frame, as his health was failing rapidly.

Thanks once again Marc. Who would EVER think that such a thing would turn up? Not even on my radar. I would have eaten toast for six months to buy that cape.

http://www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/images/fdraty45.gif

http://history.acusd.edu/cdr2/WW2Pics/09068.jpg

http://www.europa-infoshop.de/Die_Union/Info_s___News/Portrait/Winston_Churchill/a_c_roosevelt-stalin-yalta.jpg

http://ntap.k12.ca.us/whs/projects/history/himages/stalin5.jpg

Marc Chevalier
05-25-2006, 03:01 PM
It's probably the coolest thing that a U.S. president has ever worn. (Abe Lincoln's stovepipe hat was more distinctive than cool.)

Matt Deckard
05-25-2006, 03:34 PM
Quite a hero mystique wouldn't you say?

Maj.Nick Danger
05-25-2006, 03:38 PM
I never knew it was a standard item available to naval officers. I thought F.D.R. had it tailor made.
There must be a few more of these capes out there somewhere.

Marc Chevalier
05-25-2006, 03:47 PM
It was a standard item, which made FDR even cooler for adopting it. (Remember that during World War I, he was Secretary of the Navy.)

Sort of like Napoleon wearing a standard corporal's uniform throughout his life.

Marc Chevalier
05-25-2006, 03:51 PM
And yes, vintage ones pop up on eBay, but they usually go for much more money. This one went cheap, and its velvet collar is in unusually good condition.

A few years back, the J. Peterman catalog sold reproductions of it for more than $500.

Maj.Nick Danger
05-25-2006, 04:06 PM
Should have sold for big bucks then! Army officers could also wear a cape with their evening dress uniforms if they wished.
I have never seen one of those offered for sale anywhere either.
People just overlook rare items at times, not realizing what they are. [huh]
But where was I when this was on the block?! :eusa_doh:

Marc Chevalier
05-25-2006, 04:08 PM
I have never seen one of those offered for sale anywhere either.

I've seen three of these in thrift stores -- at different times, of course. All three were badly moth-eaten, and the nap was worn off of the velvet collars.

Tony C
05-24-2007, 04:38 PM
to Marc, et al: That cape FDR wore at Yalta can still be purchased new from the maker: goes for about $399 I think; you can find it in a google search. I am looking for a US Navy cape, navy blue wool with peacoat buttons (etched anchor motif) on the front, knee length with bright red wool lining, slash pockets and hand-through slits, peacoat-type standup collar. I had one when I lived in SF, 1970, but cannot find one now. Any leads? Please advise! -Tony C

Undertow
05-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Oh blast!

I can't believe I didn't see that. Are we all just blind?

Or was this some secret auction to throw us all off?

Because I could have sworn I'd recently checked vintage on the bay...

Will
05-24-2007, 06:23 PM
to Marc, et al: That cape FDR wore at Yalta can still be purchased new from the maker: goes for about $399 I think; you can find it in a google search.

I don't find anything on Google. Can you add any more information?

Dinerman
05-24-2007, 06:32 PM
Oh blast!

I can't believe I didn't see that. Are we all just blind?

Or was this some secret auction to throw us all off?

Because I could have sworn I'd recently checked vintage on the bay...

well- it was exactly a year ago that the first post of this thread was made.

cookie
05-25-2007, 06:50 AM
I cannot believe it! Tonight I just happened to catch a bio on a channel I never watch and there is the history of Winnie in WWII by his ex-bodyguard and there is FDR at Yalta with close ups of the cape! My wife commented on the fancy lanyard closure.

TraderRic
05-25-2007, 11:43 AM
It is still in the Navy uniform inventory as an optional item for officers. It's actually called a Boat Cloak and is only available in made to measure as are our Bridge Coats. I haven't made the investment yet. The bridge coat goes for $385, so I don't even want to think about the cloak.

Novella
05-25-2007, 11:50 AM
FDR, *almost* as cool as Batman.

Harp
05-25-2007, 12:34 PM
It is still in the Navy uniform inventory as an optional item for officers.

Officers with gold braid, visor scrambled eggs, and stars. ;)

Zeropositive
05-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Being the new guy here I love this classic cape while walking in Oxford UK I saw someone wearing a cape it looked very smart.

I am tempted to look for one to wear to work.

Dixon Cannon
05-27-2007, 11:47 PM
I had one just like that a few years ago. I sold mine on eBay too! I'll have to look around to see if I still have any pictures of it. I posted a picture of FDR on my listing to show how much it resembled his. Somebody snatched it up right away.

-dixon cannon

Fletch
05-28-2007, 07:04 AM
It is still in the Navy uniform inventory as an optional item for officers."Optional" presumably meaning "as appropriate and/or approved by higher-ups". I assume no officer below flag rank actually gets to make a choice as to any uniform item they personally will wear or not wear.

Tony C
05-31-2007, 01:29 PM
Took a long and exhausting trip through pages of google results, but you might speed it up if you go to navy uniform pages, etc. Keep refining the search and you'll find a uniform maker with that cape available new. Any idea where I can find the wool cape I'm seeking, with the red lining and the peacoat buttons??
good luck!
-Tony C:(

TraderRic
06-01-2007, 06:53 AM
"Optional" presumably meaning "as appropriate and/or approved by higher-ups". I assume no officer below flag rank actually gets to make a choice as to any uniform item they personally will wear or not wear.

Meaning it's not a required item for anyone. If I have it, I can wear it to the Navy Ball or I could wear a bridge coat or even a rain coat depending on the weather. They are not making Ensigns purchase a $500 cloak that most will never wear. That's what we are issued the all weather coat for (most of us call it a trash bag).

:offtopic: There are also other items that are optional until you are a cirtain rank. You are not required to have a sword or mess uniforms unless you are a Lieutenant Commander or above. I suppose it is due to cost and functions that you would attend at the higher ranks. In fact there is even a tail coat for the mess blues that is required as needed for Captains and Flags that is probably never seen outside of DC and foreign embassies.

Haversack
06-01-2007, 01:07 PM
Another occassion in which you will see formal whites and swords on US Naval officers in during commissioning ceremonies. Back in 2002, I did a double-take one Saturday morning coming back from the farmers' market down by the Ferry Building in San Francisco. Standing on a street corner, (Embarcadero and Brannan), were a group of about 5 US Navy officers in dress whites with their swords belted on. It struck me as being really odd as almost all the military was stripped out of the Bay Area during the 1980s and 90s. Later that day, I found out that it was for the commissioning ceremony for the USS McCampbell (DDG 85). She was commissioned in San Francisco at the request of her first captain.

Haversack.

Smyat
08-11-2007, 02:47 PM
For reasons that would take a long time to explain, I'm trying to find a quality boat cloak, preferably a Marine Corps (officers?) model with the scarlet lining.

Searches turn up nothing useful. Are these still made? How would a poor sad-sack civilian locate one, either new or vintage?

Harp
08-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Talk to Carebear, he's the Jarhead in residence on this campus. :)

Tom Mac
09-16-2007, 11:01 PM
http://marineshop.safeshopper.com/129/cat129.htm?661

They can set you up.

scotrace
01-08-2009, 03:55 PM
I got one. wooo!

("cloak" is the right term)

thunderw21
01-08-2009, 04:00 PM
I got one. wooo!

Nice!
Now, you know what must be done... :)

Tomasso
01-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Nice!
Now, you know what must be done... :)His camera must be on the fritz, he's been sittin' on that sucker for prit' near a month.

jamespowers
01-08-2009, 04:32 PM
I got one. wooo!

Well then, you need to post pictures of it then. You have seen mine already. ;) :p

univibe88
01-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Well then, you need to post pictures of it then. You have seen mine already. ;) :p

And please let us know where you got it.

scotrace
01-08-2009, 05:49 PM
It's flawless. Not a nip or fray. Listed on eBay as a nurse's cape. The flash photos made the burgundy liner look like bright red satin. It was a gamble but sometimes you are, in fact, the windshield.

I'll post a picture as soon as I get the stones to wear it. :o

jamespowers
01-08-2009, 05:57 PM
It's flawless. Not a nip or fray. Listed on eBay as a nurse's cape. The flash photos made the burgundy liner look like bright red satin. It was a gamble but sometimes you are, in fact, the windshield.

I'll post a picture as soon as I get the stones to wear it. :o

Put on the tux, black homburg, sport a cane and complete the look with a cigar in mouth. ;) If that won't make you feel like wearing it then nothing else will. :D

jamespowers
01-08-2009, 06:00 PM
And please let us know where you got it.

Capes or Us. ;)
There are many places to find them but not many places you find them in actually have decent ones or any for sale. eBay, vintage clothing faires, vintage clothing shops and second hand places are likely where you will find them.

univibe88
01-08-2009, 06:09 PM
I was curious who might sell them new. But I found it via google.

scotrace
01-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Well, I've been searching for one of WWII manufacture since Marc started this thread, and the one I got is the third I have seen come up in two+ years of daily (auto) searching.

Treetopflyer
01-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Try Abbots. They are a privately owned company that makes tailored uniforms for the Navy and Marine Corps. They are located in Pensacola Florida. You wouldn't get a WWII original, but it would be identical. Naval Officers wear their swords for ceremony only these days. Be it a ships commissioning, wedding, change of command or retirements. I have never seen anyone wear a boat cloak.

Geesie
01-08-2009, 09:40 PM
The boat cloak is part of the mess dress blue uniform. You are more likely, however, to see it on a Marine - and even then it's rare. I cannot find one anywhere; the bridge coat is easier to find.

TimBer
01-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Bupers has the boat cloak listed as an optional item.
http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/unireg/Chapter3/Officers/om_1_DD_Formal.htm

univibe88
01-08-2009, 11:07 PM
I found this listed as an Army Dress Cape:
http://www.marlowwhite.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=09-900

Lovely Leah
01-10-2009, 02:33 PM
It was a standard item, which made FDR even cooler for adopting it. (Remember that during World War I, he was Secretary of the Navy.)

FDR, may have used a cape for more practical reasons than just style and his former position assistant Navy secretary. A cape with the right cut is a great cool weather garment for wheelchair users. I use a wheelchair about 50% of the time and found that capes are perfect for cooler weather.

dhermann1
01-10-2009, 03:08 PM
I got myself a nice wool cape from Casco Bay Woolens a couple of years ago, and have never had the nerve/found the appropriate occasion to wear it. It's a nice heavy black blanket material, with black lining. But it seems like it's always a little too cool or a little too warm for it. And trust me, with the yahoos I work with, I ain't wearing it to work or on the subway any time soon. But I still love it. Maybe some day. The cape and the top hat.

Tomasso
01-10-2009, 03:46 PM
FDR, may have used a cape for more practical reasons than just style and his former position assistant Navy secretary. A cape with the right cut is a great cool weather garment for wheelchair users. I too believe he chose the cape for function over form.

Tomasso
01-28-2009, 09:48 PM
It looks like it's in pristine condition. When do you have occasion to wear it?

skbellis
01-29-2009, 06:17 AM
Not as flashy as FDR's cape, but much more affordable:

http://www.deutscheoptik.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1089

I thought that this might be a nice option for potential cape buyers.

Cheers,

---Scott

bstrickmma
01-29-2009, 06:49 PM
It looks like it's in pristine condition. When do you have occasion to wear it?

Well the officer I bought it from only wore it like 4-5 times. I've worn mine to a Holiday Ball and a Marine Corps Ball (as outerwear for my evening/dinner dress uniform).

While I don't think I could get away wearing w/ a business suit ala FDR, I'd have no problem wearing w/ a tux or to the opera, etc. if the occasion arose though. :D

bstrickmma
01-29-2009, 06:51 PM
For those who aren't bent on having a "military" model boat cloak, I've seen this website before as well...

http://www.cloaksofireland.com/Opera1.htm

Pricy, but as far as I can see, high quality.

Marc Chevalier
01-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Looks like an Inverness cape.

Maguire
01-29-2009, 10:35 PM
South American leaders had a thing for capes too, i've got a great picture of Augusto Pinochet wearing one, and likewise for Juan Peron. Say what you will about their politics or the kind of person pinochet was (i personally dislike him myself), but the cape really does something. I'll post it as soon as i dig it up.

Maguire
01-29-2009, 11:11 PM
here it is :
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/Mazdak/jo98.jpg

I know alot of these guys like to just wear greatcoats wrapped around them like capes without using the sleeves but this Juan Peron pic is definitely a cape:
http://www.vi-e.cl/img_personajes/peron_esposa.jpg

http://www.oni.escuelas.edu.ar/olimpi98/fronterasculturales/images/image122.jpg

Marc Chevalier
01-29-2009, 11:17 PM
Certain shops in Santiago used to sell painted plaster sculptures of Pinochet in his cape. They looked eerily like votive statues of the Virgin Mary...with a grey cape on instead of her blue cloak.

bstrickmma
01-30-2009, 12:02 PM
FWIW, the South American countries are also the most "Europeanized" as well. I'm not surpised to see their El Commandante's fancy capes and cloaks. :D

I agree, say what you want about their politics, but they look good.

huckfinne
02-28-2009, 09:51 AM
There's one on ebay right now (EDIT - NO LIVE AUCTIONS PLEASE - but welcome to The Fedora Lounge)
That's where I got mine with a final bid of about $300.

Otium
03-01-2009, 01:58 PM
I looked at that one too. Auction ends in about 6 hours but it is about three inches too short for my height and I just don't think I could bring myself to cope with such a heinous flaw!

Schofields
03-27-2009, 12:29 AM
in case no one saw this (http://www.ushist.com/wardrobe/mens_1800s_clothing/q-0611_cape_civilian.htm#item1) :)

Marc Chevalier
03-27-2009, 03:35 AM
in case no one saw this (http://www.ushist.com/wardrobe/mens_1800s_clothing/q-0611_cape_civilian.htm#item1) :)

Short and sweet, eh?

Tiller
03-28-2009, 07:31 AM
Even though it's against the rules to talk politics, let me say just for general info out there that I am a Republican, and my family on my mothers side (the side I agree with most on these issues) have been Republican since coming to this country only voting Democrat during the elections of Grover Cleveland (we have strange family history discussions at time lol). So perhaps you should take what I have to say with a grain of salt, but I never liked FDR's look at the Yalta Conference. I don't think it's do to my general dislike of the man, but more for the fact that he had a better style during the 30's, and by this time his health was by far going the other way. Every time I see those pictures it looks to me as if he is on death's doorstep, especially when you compare him to how he looked when he was campaigning against Hoover.

I thought I saw some of him in his younger days wearing a similar cape, where he pulls the look off much better, but maybe I was imagining things. Anyways just my opinion.

Regards,
Tiller

Tiller
03-28-2009, 07:47 AM

I bought my "civilian great coat" from them. They do good work.

jamespowers
03-30-2009, 10:57 AM
but I never liked FDR's look at the Yalta Conference. I don't think it's do to my general dislike of the man, but more for the fact that he had a better style during the 30's, and by this time his health was by far going the other way. Every time I see those pictures it looks to me as if he is on death's doorstep, especially when you compare him to how he looked when he was campaigning against Hoover.

Your obervations mirror some of Churchill's comments. Churchill found his mind to be cloudy and slow at the time and his logic far from spot on. Perhaps it was an omen of things to come. Perhaps he should have sent someone else in his stead. [huh]

Schofields
03-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Short and sweet, eh?

sometimes theres nothing better ;)

scotrace
03-30-2009, 11:50 AM
FDR was quite ill by that time. It's rather astonishing to learn the extent of his illness well before the elections of 1944. Roosevelt had advanced heart disease, about which they could do little at the time but keep an eye on him. No one within his immediate circle expected him to live through 1945, and few who saw him believed he was at all healthy or vigorous.

cookie
04-01-2009, 01:40 AM
Your obervations mirror some of Churchill's comments. Churchill found his mind to be cloudy and slow at the time and his logic far from spot on. Perhaps it was an omen of things to come. Perhaps he should have sent someone else in his stead. [huh]

Indded. There is a whole story on leaders making decisions that are crucial to international security whilst in thr throws od a serious illness...JFK and his Addison's Disease comes to mind....

Marc Chevalier
04-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Indded. There is a whole story on leaders making decisions that are crucial to international security whilst in thr throws od a serious illness...JFK and his Addison's Disease comes to mind....

Queen Elizabeth the First had a terrible toothache as the Spanish Armada was sailing toward England; and Napoleon suffered terribly (in a urinary way) during key moments of Waterloo.

FedoraFan112390
10-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Hey

I was wondering if anyone could help me find a cloak similar to the one Pres. Roosevelt wore to the Yalta Conference?
If not a cape or cloak similar to Roosevelt's, any sort of dress cape or cloak (preferably new produced, not vintage) will do.

Geronimo
10-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Navy boatcloak?
http://www.marlowwhite.com/images/catalog/09-900.jpg
Sold here:
http://www.marineshop.com/boatcloak.aspx
Picture's from Marlow White, but I can't find it for sale. [huh]

univibe88
10-01-2009, 08:46 PM
check out this thread http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=8988&highlight=cape

Bingles
10-03-2009, 06:47 PM
I owned an old clerical cloak which was very similar to the navy style one Roosevelt wore. I LOVED it.. but ended up selling. Sadly, when was I ever going to wear it???? I wish capes for men came back into fashion. We don't get many dramatic accessories to wear.

Mid-fogey
10-04-2009, 01:02 PM
...was a cadet, and we'd parade in full dress, the Army officers would wear dress blue. The three star in charge would wear a dress cape on the cold days. The comments in ranks were brutal.

Many of those old styles worked better in the eras they were designed for. I think a cape would be in the way constantly in a modern world.

Can't beat the look though.

Edward
10-07-2009, 06:13 AM
http://www.europa-infoshop.de/Die_Union/Info_s___News/Portrait/Winston_Churchill/a_c_roosevelt-stalin-yalta.jpg

I love this photo. Three world leaders, three very different cultures with three very different experiences of the war.... in many ways about as different as three men could get. But look at them - look at how they're interrelating. Whether they liked each other or not, it seems to me that there's a genuine connection there, that they saw each other as individual human beings, "warts and all" as Cromwell would have said, and not some faceless opponent. I find that really interesting.

I'm keeping half an eye out for a deal on a claok to wear with white tie. Incidently, my ministers at church all have them for wearing over their cassocks in cold weather - lovely, heavy, plain black wool, though theirs have the "slots" so they can get their hands out through them without opening the cloak. nice alternative to the military designs.

Tony C
01-14-2010, 05:29 PM
It's been a coupla years now, still no closer to finding navy cape. If anybody can help, here are the specs: it's navy blue (duh!), wool, with red wool lining, has collar and anchor-logo buttons on front, about knee-length, with slash through-pocket on each side. Has all the characteristics of a pea-jacket, but it is a cape, you see. I had one in SF back in '71 but have not seen another since! Help! -Tony C;)