PDA

View Full Version : This evil evil vintage addiction (men are welcome in this one, too)

RetroModelSari
07-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Hi Ladies and Gentlemen!

I discovered my addiction to vintage gets worse and worse the more stuff I get!

In the beginning all I bought was mostly lingerie, but the more I got into my pin up thing the more dresses I started buying - just for shoots in the beginning. This led me to buy more and more swimsuits and than BANG I wanted to wear vintage and vintage inspired every day. Now that I managed to get some cute clothes I go even further with "Oh I want more cute little hats". Will there ever be a end? Can I ever be healed from this addiction?

Share your experiences with me before Im broke (The devil made EBAY!!!!!!!)

Hugs,
Sari

PrettySquareGal
07-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Yes, one things does lead to another when it comes to collecting. Sometimes I spend too much time acquiring new old things instead of admiring the ones I already have. I have no answers for you. [huh]

LizzieMaine
07-10-2006, 05:07 PM
For me, it's patterns. I have piles and piles of patterns, and deep down I know that I'm never going to get around to making up all of them. And yet, I can never walk past a box of them at a flea market and I can never stop searching them on eBay because I know that there's JUST ONE MORE out there I just absolutely need to have.

Oh, and this is also true of shoes. And hats. And nightgowns. And sweaters. And books. And magazines. And records. And radio memorabilia. And kitchen stuff.

Sigh.

If I actually had any money, I'd be afraid of ending up like one of those old eccentrics who lives in one tiny room of her house because the rest of the place is packed solid with accumulated stuff. It wouldn't take much more.

Cousin Hepcat
07-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Share your experiences with me before I´m broke (The devil made EBAY!!!!!!!)

It gets worse before it gets better lol but you can "just go with it" and buy/sell/trade as a free-time business-hobby. Talking to collectors of other things, the cycle is usually you keep buying more & more as you learn more specifics about what's available and what you do or don't like; then you have to resell all but the ones you really like.

That's what I did with record players for a couple months between I.T. jobs a few years back; it paid the groceries. Got a closetful of 'em now, still awaiting restoration; trying to decide if I'll ever have time. No longer seems to fit in my life plans! [huh] From my old website:

http://www.eternalgoods.com/torestore.jpg

And remember, have fun, don't let the hobby turn into a chore! (that's the mistake I made - well maybe not a mistake, I'm "cured"! :) )

Swing High, (http://www.eternalgoods.com/swing_high__t_dorsey.mp3)
- Cousin Hepcat

Caledonia
07-10-2006, 07:09 PM
For me, it's patterns. I have piles and piles of patterns, and deep down I know that I'm never going to get around to making up all of them. And yet, I can never walk past a box of them at a flea market and I can never stop searching them on eBay because I know that there's JUST ONE MORE out there I just absolutely need to have.

Oh, and this is also true of shoes. And hats. And nightgowns. And sweaters. And books. And magazines. And records. And radio memorabilia. And kitchen stuff.

Sigh.

If I actually had any money, I'd be afraid of ending up like one of those old eccentrics who lives in one tiny room of her house because the rest of the place is packed solid with accumulated stuff. It wouldn't take much more.

Yep, patterns are dangerous. I've got a filing cabinet full of them, then it turned into shoes, then bags, and I think I've just about stopped the hat, girdle and jewellery things getting out of control. But Cousin H sounds about right. Go with it till you run out of steam or go bankrupt, and sell everything that isn't exactly what you want to have. Other tip - quit ebaying (it's hard but achievable :D ), and don't look anywhere else till every thing you have in your current collection is refurbished and in use. Actually I have no idea if that will work, because I haven't tried it yet )(apart from the ebay bit). lol

jitterbugdoll
07-10-2006, 07:34 PM
Yep, I am faced with this dilemma as well ;)

It started with swing dancing, which necessitated a trip to a vintage store--and in the four years that have passed, I now have two closets stuffed full of clothing! My favorite obsessions are dresses, shoes, lingerie, hats, magazines, patterns, knick knacks of all sorts, and the list only goes on.

This problem only gets worse as you study your favorite eras; you realize just how many amazing outfits there were and you come to the realization that must own one (at least) of each lol

Rebecca D
07-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Yep. Its awful.

I have piles of patterns and vintage fabric that will take me years to get through, but I just keep buying. I also have a weakness for vintage fruit prints and fruit jewelry. My other weakness is books; I have shelves of books that I havent read yet, but I keep seeing more that I want to read. Just this weekend I bought 3 more books that I probably wont get to any time soon.

But as for the pattern and fabric addiction, the other morning I was trying to find something to wear and it hit me that I should put on that adorable 40s rayon dress with the giant floral print. But then I remembered I hadnt actually made the stupid dress yet! The fabric was still in a pile and the pattern was a filing box. How weird is that? I need to slow down on the buying and do more actual sewing.

Rosie
07-10-2006, 08:55 PM
Originally, for me, it was clothes and fabric but since I've been visiting the Lounge, it's been compacts, purses, more handkerchiefs, now, I troll eBay EVERYDAY where as before it was like a few times a week. Now, after grad school, I want to re do my house, give it a more vintage-esque feel.

Lauren
07-10-2006, 08:57 PM
Haha! I know the feeling, Rebecca D. Today I was thinking about something I want to sew and it flashed in my mind that I could use some fabric I bought last year, only to remember that that fabric was already tied up in something I already made!

Yes, vintage patterns and ANY fabric, vintage or modern. Getting me into a good trim store is very bad as well, as I'm fantasizing and "This trim would be perfect for a (insert era here) gown." Especially ones for the 18th century. If I see it I usually get at least 10 yards...

For vintage I started with Victorian, moved to Edwardian, skipped 20's and went to 30's, skipped 40's and went to 50's... and I seriously have to hold myself back from buying every little dress pre 40's that's in need of love and cheap (otherwise known as shreading, splitting lace, stains...) but I've gotten much better in recent years.

Old books are definately an addiction- especially pre-20's sappy love stories with illustration inserts. My Mccall's pattern addiction spread into Mccall's magazines and now I have a stack. And any hat pre 1950's has wound up finding it's way into my house somehow. But I'm totally a bargain hunter, and when things start getting past about 20 bucks I always double guess them (like the bakalite handle purse I almost passed up in the midwest on the basis of it being 30 bucks...)

Paul
07-10-2006, 09:40 PM
I came to the conclusion the most convenient things to collect of often not the most interesting to enjoy with others, A stamp collection might captivate you but your friends will think one stamp look pretty much like another. Where if you made a entrance wearing a vintage 40's dress then they might not apriciate it's an original 40's, but will think you look fabulous wearing it.
One thing I would like to collect is early fashion adverts or packaging ( pre 50's), the way that they have to put modesty foremost then try to work out a way of showing the item within that constraint and describe it with a lot of wording, I think just brings out the best in the artist and the creative mind.Today just a photo of a lady and a short paragraph with it features listed, the rest you just know so boring in my view.

Lady Day
07-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Oh, Ive always collected.
I have a HUGE children's book collection (200+). Im an illustrator so that collection will NEVER get smaller. My newest addition was another Andrew loomis book!

I also collect film posters. Not just any, but ones I feel are real cool and designed well. My prize is an "Anatomy of a Murder" (original) from 1956!

When my mother left me all of her sewing materials, that included patterns, thread, needles, zippers, etc. Of corse the things I WANT with my sewing are the things she didnt have :) so out I go to get precious appliques, and such to put on sweaters and anything else I can find :)

As far as clothes go, Im way more practical. Living in a studio, I dont have a lot of space, and with a thrift store being just a block away (a good and bad thing), I end up dumping a lot of items I no longer want. The thing is, most are the remnants of my modernish attire, so Im making room for more vintage sewing.

Thats my new obsession, I guess. finding a precious cottom calico, and going nuts on skirts. Oh! And buttons! I LOVE fabric covered biuittons, good thing is, I can make those.

So I guess the real thing to do is to make sure that you keep it under control. The Under X$ is a good way, but I always get what I want, well most of the time. Im not a big, gotta get everything shopper. Not anymore :)

LD

Shimmy Sally
07-10-2006, 10:13 PM
I grew up on this stuff, so sadly it's more than just an addiction. It's so deeply ingrained that no 12 step program can help me. :( I'm a hopeless case.

SaraBell
07-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Hi Ladies and Gentlemen!

I discovered my addiction to vintage gets worse and worse the more stuff I get!

In the beginning all I bought was mostly lingerie, but the more I got into my pin up thing the more dresses I started buying - just for shoots in the beginning. This led me to buy more and more swimsuits and than BANG I wanted to wear vintage and vintage inspired every day. Now that I managed to get some cute clothes I go even further with "Oh I want more cute little hats". Will there ever be a end? Can I ever be healed from this addiction?

Share your experiences with me before Im broke (The devil made EBAY!!!!!!!)

Hugs,
Sari

Oh no! Thats exactly how its been going with me...I did the lingerie thing, and I've been into dresses for a while now, and the other day I was looking up vintage type swimsuits on the internet!...great, and I'm supposed to be saving up my money...lol

Cousin Hepcat
07-10-2006, 11:17 PM
I also collect film posters. Not just any, but ones I feel are real cool and designed well. My prize is an "Anatomy of a Murder" (original) from 1956!

:offtopic: Pardon the intrusion- Lady Day & anyone interested in 50s commercial graphics, you should check out this book: "Blue Note : The Album Cover Art" (1950's jazz album covers released by Blue Note Records - amazon lets you Look Inside)

http://us2.pixagogo.com/S5uRuA-TyxophzIXR4pkbWigQXri3H3kqQCcr3OTuRLRur-Zb0bfrw7rqBM4CQXnTPJMgdw7CUnsJbqlD3mtc5bqMFTR3hgoC-gO2pCMploWc_/0077774640022.jpg . http://us4.pixagogo.com/S5uRuA-TyxophKunyvuEcwvs491KQ1o9QeMtnH-76xYBZC3GUhUB63Oj33RafE11LCRSrT7-v3RjETYUjYphYp2CsCZO5996PRzvuCWwtNqXE_/0077774609425.jpg . http://us2.pixagogo.com/S5uRuA-Tyxopg1YOnwRDlK4BfQFIzNhDtn2GUU9MO8skAkSjq5oEYslqD w0ZZtlR0VuQTwJIDcXxZ1urnGnlSkYMyKqYg9ELxcvs1-osJKEOQ_/0077778151029.jpg . http://us3.pixagogo.com/S5uRuA-TyxopjfrpYV8PLOquMhb1pNjnLeyw7WEkwaOy8xKYyYCfUzO3Q k64pFBvOOI0Luwjr6yzMOgsqO4jsUjWM-TxpN0nwcyd3qpqs3f3I_/0077778155829.jpg . http://us10.pixagogo.com/S5uRuA-TyxophFTQWQ7zSXTzIOK3UYfMohMnP9Xox0s-o3viWQReUgDeEHXzLzj6C33-IwzC43OfrN8fp4TkMrBhCFWiwytQAzbr7TqCaVDb4_/0077778413325.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0811800369/qid=1152554307/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/104-3416515-3135934?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

- Cousin Hepcat

Feraud
07-11-2006, 12:13 AM
I fully realize I have an addition to collecting stuff. I try really hard to excerise self-control. Sometimes it works and others it does not. [huh]:)

mysterygal
07-11-2006, 12:18 AM
I love my vintage addiction. There's nothing like a purchasing 'high' when finding that great 'something' :D . At first it was dresses, now I'm on the look out for great hats and undergarments. With dressing 'modern', I love this look:)

Novella
07-11-2006, 01:09 AM
For me it's all about paper things - especially magazines. My magazine collection is slowly growing, and when I find new ones I can't resist buying *at least* one. I've been trying to reign in my magazine obsession by only buying magazines from the 1930s (plus or minus 5 years). So far so good. There were some fabulous magazines from the 1900s and 1910s the last time I was at the antique store and I almost bought them, but somehow I managed to resist and stick to my new "only from the 30s" rule.

Tony in Tarzana
07-11-2006, 02:11 AM
In a way I'm glad that none of the vintage suits on eBay are even close to my size. I've gotten carried away enough as it is with hats! If I could find vintage suits on eBay I'd be in the poorhouse!

nightandthecity
07-11-2006, 02:17 AM
I am Mr 1940s average size. And I am in the poorhouse.....

AllaboutEve
07-11-2006, 04:32 AM
It's jewellery, and anything that sparkles, I just have to have it. I seem to have a gene that makes it impossible for me to read price tags when it comes to jewellery,.......doesn't matter what it costs, just gotta have it.:p

There are SO many jobs around the house that I haven't got round to doing or paying for as I spend all my money on vintage gear.......

It truly is a sickness:p

Sefton
07-11-2006, 06:35 AM
Once I put on my first vintage suit jacket with narrow high cut arm-holes it was the begining of the end...of my checking account!lol
The vintage jackets fit so much better that now I can't even wear modern. I then had to have vintage ties...one leading to two, three, four...
Next up: Custom 30s styled fedoras and....

magneto
07-11-2006, 07:40 AM
I seem to be buying way more stuff since starting to read The Fedora Lounge than before (I'm sure potential advertisers should be happy to hear that!) :) ("Oh, look at those nice compacts--I want a nice one too! Oh no, I only have 1 suit?! I want those shoes too!" Etc :)

(Off to post a review of the new cardigan that just came in the mail).

decodoll
07-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Thats my new obsession, I guess. finding a precious cottom calico, and going nuts on skirts. Oh! And buttons! I LOVE fabric covered biuittons, good thing is, I can make those.

LD

Oh Lady Day, have you been to Exquisite Buttons in El Cerrito? This place is amazing. Stuffed full of vintage buttons of all kinds, most still on their original cards. It's run by a little old man and his wife, and this guy knows his buttons. You won't see a modern plastic button in the place. It's all catalin, wood, metal, etc., and his prices are fabulous.

For me the vintage addiction just gets worse and worse. :) In my case, it's mainly, clothes, shoes, accessories, patterns and fabric from the late 1930's/early 1940's. I'm also quite addicted to buying books about those time periods.

I'd have to agree that Fedora Lounge may be a bad influence. :rolleyes: So many cute things are posted that just goad me on to shop more!

RetroModelSari
07-11-2006, 02:53 PM
Oh I forgot about the patterns... I have gotten me some, too and Im hot on some specific ones. Its a German book named "Der Goldene Schnitt" ("The golden cut") that showed wonderfull clothes and provided patterns to match like 155 different outfits for ladies, men and children. Once in a few years they released a new one with the latest in Fashion. I just have one yet and really have to hold myself back from buying all from 1939 to 1956 cause they are so cute!!!! Once I signed up for sewing lessons in August I can dare to get them ALL :-)

G. Fink-Nottle
07-11-2006, 02:58 PM
For me, it's watches. I've got all sorts of Hamilton and Bulova watches from the 30's to 50's in various stages of (dis)repair. If I find something that strikes me, I have to buy it.

CherryRed
07-11-2006, 07:02 PM
I grew up on this stuff, so sadly it's more than just an addiction. It's so deeply ingrained that no 12 step program can help me. :( I'm a hopeless case.

That's me too. Buying something vintage is like bringing home a piece of my childhood. It's the same as eating really good comfort food but does damage on the wallet instead of the waistline.;)

Foofoogal
07-11-2006, 08:33 PM
lol I completely understand. I became a dealer because I had to. I have way too much stuff. I sell to buy. I have a huge thing for anything that remotely hints of Art Deco. I was on a compact craze and now it is lingerie.
Every day since 2002 I have been online and every day I run across a collectibles or designer I had no clue about. I like the research I think best.
http://www.sandysfancypants.blogspot.com

RetroModelSari
07-11-2006, 08:42 PM
sandy: wah!!!! that little cloth-figure in your blog is waaaaay to cute! I think thats the sweetest thing I ever saw!

Rebecca D
07-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Oh Lady Day, have you been to Exquisite Buttons in El Cerrito? This place is amazing. Stuffed full of vintage buttons of all kinds, most still on their original cards. It's run by a little old man and his wife, and this guy knows his buttons. You won't see a modern plastic button in the place. It's all catalin, wood, metal, etc., and his prices are fabulous.

Please tell me this is accessible by Bart!

Foofoogal
07-12-2006, 07:43 AM
Thank you. It is a little tea or boudoir/vanity towel. I think it took a lot of patience to make.

Lady Day
07-12-2006, 08:32 AM

For me the vintage addiction just gets worse and worse. :) In my case, it's mainly, clothes, shoes, accessories, patterns and fabric from the late 1930's/early 1940's. I'm also quite addicted to buying books about those time periods.

I'd have to agree that Fedora Lounge may be a bad influence. :rolleyes: So many cute things are posted that just goad me on to shop more!

Where is this place??!! :eek:
I tried looking up Exquisite Buttons in El Cerrito on yellowpages.com, but no luck. Help a button addict our :)

LD

decodoll
07-12-2006, 08:58 AM
I pulled out their card...Sorry, not Exquisite Buttons, but Exclusive Buttons. :) Anyway, they are at 10252 San Pablo Ave. in El Cerrito. The phone number is 510-223-1442 to leave a message or 510-524-5606 for the shop. When I was there a few months ago, she said they were only open Friday and Saturdays right now from 11-4. I would call first before treking out there to make sure they will be open when you go. :) Have fun!!!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/y7ajXW33DUtfMh2qDmt1hQ

Rebecca D
07-12-2006, 08:41 PM
I just looked it up and it seems like they're pretty close to Bart!

Thanks for the info, Decodoll!

Rosie
07-12-2006, 09:02 PM
I seem to be buying way more stuff since starting to read The Fedora Lounge than before (I'm sure potential advertisers should be happy to hear that!) :) ("Oh, look at those nice compacts--I want a nice one too! Oh no, I only have 1 suit?! I want those shoes too!" Etc :)

(Off to post a review of the new cardigan that just came in the mail).

lol Ah! This is totally me. Oh, those compacts are soooo, cute, let me get like three.... Pink gloves! I NEED pink gloves.... Oh! I want a dress like that. It's so sad. It's isn't going to get any better with that terrible auction site up. The Lounge in one browser window, ebay in other browser window, flip back and forth searching new things as you ladies bring them up.

RetroModelSari
07-18-2006, 06:07 AM
My boyfriend made me promise that there wont be any ebay-shopping or ordering anything for me for this month (or lets say from the time of my next payment to the one following). :rolleyes:

Fortunetly I won a nice custom made tap-pant and a dress on ebay and placed a order on Besam? Cosmetics BEFORE he made me promise. ;) I wonder how hard it will be to stick with it... On the other side he wants more 40s and 50s stuff so I keep browsing around to look for great clothes for him (he wants a 40s suit to wear on special ocassions and mathing shoes and shirt). Can I resist browsing for women-stuff, too? Ill see... but it will be a very hard month!!! :(

LizzieMaine
07-18-2006, 06:29 AM
The worst part of any addiction is the withdrawal -- and I've been going thru torture lately! Finances here have been very bad, so I've had to scale way way back on shopping -- and that means staying away from the 'bay, from thrift shops, flea markets, all those good kind of places. Groan!!!!

I did fall off the wagon a couple times and pick up a couple of patterns I couldn't live with out, and I just now had to replenish my stocking supply. But otherwise it's been over a month since I went vintage-shopping, and I fear I shall go mad......

Cousin Hepcat
07-18-2006, 09:00 AM
The worst part of any addiction is the withdrawal -- and I've been going thru torture lately! Finances here have been very bad, so I've had to scale way way back on shopping -- and that means staying away from the 'bay, from thrift shops, flea markets, all those good kind of places. Groan!!!!

I did fall off the wagon a couple times and pick up a couple of patterns I couldn't live with out, and I just now had to replenish my stocking supply. But otherwise it's been over a month since I went vintage-shopping, and I fear I shall go mad......

Ever done any selling to cycle out parts of the collection on the 'Bay? It can do a Lot to help the finances (and to temper the urges to go on the hunt).

Selling the "not-the-best-items-in-your-collection" can even get to be addictive in itself :eusa_clap (it's nice to see the overall record collection get "better and better" as it gets smaller - even made me feel less guilty about picking up a few new ones! will post soon of course)

- Cousin Hepcat

Rosie
07-18-2006, 09:07 AM

Ah, I've told myself, no purchasing for the month of July. I'm spending way too much money. But, I saw the GREATEST coat, IN MY SIZE!!! I couldn't pass that up right? Then I saw the GREATEST gloves, couldn't pass that up. Then I found a few great homemaker books, COULDN'T let those go! then it was two vintage bags, they don't make 'em like that anymore. So, my no shopping July has turned into a full fledged shop-o-rama. :eek: lol Maybe August wil be better.

Miss Neecerie
07-18-2006, 09:22 AM
is spend only 25 a month on ebay.....July is spent...so now can't buy again til August...

Am trying to see if I can actually afford to move out of roomate-house and into a cardboard box of my own....hence the crunch.

But its torture!

Lauren
07-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Selling the "not-the-best-items-in-your-collection" can even get to be addictive in itself

Yup, that's me to a "T". While I should be focussing on the piles of things I actually bought to sell, I'm weeding through the collection and desciding that I have too much of this or that, that I need this or that... like Vanessa says to me... Paypal is like Monopoly money. You sell something, goes to paypal, sits there, then you buy something better with it :)

flat-top
07-18-2006, 09:40 AM
I am a textbook case here..........when it comes to vintage, there really is no putting it off. What you want will NOT be there tomorrow! So I will (and have) blow all my dough if I can't let something get away.
((sigh)) and the rent is due tomorrow..........

Cousin Hepcat
07-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Yup, that's me to a "T". While I should be focussing on the piles of things I actually bought to sell, I'm weeding through the collection and desciding that I have too much of this or that, that I need this or that... like Vanessa says to me... Paypal is like Monopoly money. You sell something, goes to paypal, sits there, then you buy something better with it :)

:) yes I'm endeavoring to make more than I re-spend for tuition money tho it's tempting

Lauren
07-18-2006, 12:06 PM
Yup, me too, actually. I've been good and deposited it :)

Miss Dottie
07-18-2006, 08:24 PM
I have a real penchant for vintage eyeglasses. I think I have about a dozen pairs so far. And they snap of any outfit in an nice vintage way.

Oh, and vintage knitting patterns. Kills me every time! I'm always lurking on eBay trying to find them.

Orchids Please
07-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Oh, but what a lovely addiction!

I started out with collecting '40's luggage & postcards. Then dresses, shoes (oh to find a pair of cuban heel lace ups again),magazines, clothes, compact & lipstick cases. etc. A little bit here, a little bit there, it grows like topsy.

e-bay is fun, but dicey so I pass on that. My dream is to find a warehouse that sells "bundles" - 100 lb. of old clothing. I can't pass a thrift store when traveling because you never know. There was a magazine called "Rags" published in the early '70's which had excellent vintage info when the rage first hit. Check around - I found it on microfiche at a local collage.

Glad to know we've been bitten by the "vintage bug"!

humblestumble
07-20-2006, 11:40 PM
My addictions:

Lookin up vintage and vintage inspired designs online and drooling ( a waste of time, sorta but it's so lovely to do! ) It usually ends up making me sad and feeling worthless because I have next to nothing when it comes to personal throw away cash to spend on a vintage-ish wardrobe.

Sewing. I love to sew, but at the same time I don't (I get frustrated with the fitting part). I am obsessed with sewing books and patterns at the moment. I'm trying so hard to learn so much about sewing so that I can make my own patterns which are retro which fit me and look well made. There are like no instructors in town and I don't know anyone close who can sew (whom lives closeby) so I'm left to be pretty much self taught.

Along with that goes PATTERNS. My god. I am addicted to buying/saving patterns. I have a TON of knitting patterns, some crochet patterns, a ton of patterns online (freebies), and over 100 sewing patterns (Only a years and a half worth of sewing time that I've accumulated those!) In the beginning I bought a bunch of patterns I thought I would make and I'm just now realizing I probably wont ever make them. The ones I love to get now are vintage and retro inspired ones. I will always drool over those and wish to make them. Of course, vintage and retro clothes are the reason I got into this sewing nonsense ;)

I was 13 and found out zoot suits are about 200 dollars or so depending, and I really really wanted 1950s and 1940s dresses, so I was determined to learn. It took 5 or 6 years but I finally learned in Home Ec. (that class sucked so bad though. I barely learned anything)

I also am addicted to collecting drawing books, old and new, so kudos to the andrew loomis book find LadyDay! I draw portraits and cartoons as a hobby (and just recently I'm starting to seem to change my mind about the hobby part).