Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Underwear Basics: Underwear, Undershirts

Mrs. Foss

New in Town
Another Boxer Source

I found 50's style boxers on a web page called "Paul Fredrick". Unfortunatley, I'm having a hard time putting up the link. If you go to their site and search for boxers, you'll see them. They are not as vintage styled as the Vermont Country Store verson, but they are a lot less expensive.

~Mrs. Foss

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I need the ventilation

I haven't worn briefs since I was 15. As soon as I was able to buy my own drawers, I've always worn boxers. Briefs are too confining and sweaty. :beer: It is too embarassing to wear briefs and always have to be scratching oneself. To me, wearing briefs is akin to wearing a diaper. Boxers allow more movement and many women prefer their men in them. Boxers are for adult males. Briefs remind me of the Spider-Man, King Kong things my 4 year old demands.:cool:

Plumbing Guilltine.

I find boxers uncomfortable, the seam in the center seems to have me with the pointing portion of the three piece set on one side and the matching pair on the other. I feel like I am being guillotined. Whereas brief has me comfortably nestled.

John in Covina

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Silk is the best fabric

I prefer silk boxer shorts. The feeling is perfect, the fit is correct and there is plenty of support. Briefs are sweaty, confining, infantile and totally uncomfortable. My wife always buys me silk boxers.:cheers1:

HistoricDetroit

New in Town
Geezaloo!

Geezaloo! Who would of thought that such a well meaning thread would have sparked such a debate! This thread lit up faster than a Lucky Strike being lit by a Ronson!

Although, I for one cannot understand how a man can wear a razor sharp double breasted pinstripe suit, a fine fedora, and a shiny pair of spectators, and hide beneath the handsome surface a pair of childrens underpants! It just seems silly, thought I know better men than myself who wear them. It is an unexplainable enigma. Perhaps we should all just agree that as long as a man is wearing something, as opposed to nothing, and whatever he is wearing is comfortable and clean, he's doing alright!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
HistoricDetroit said:
Perhaps we should all just agree that as long as a man is wearing something, as opposed to nothing, and whatever he is wearing is comfortable and clean, he's doing alright!
HistoricDetroit

I second that. What a goofus thing to quibble over.

I doubt the ladies are over in the powder room insulting each other's choice of underpinnies. Then again, we should probably ask them to step over here and settle this.

Dismuke

One of the Regulars
Lincsong said:
When Clinton embarassed America by answering the boxers or briefs question, I was greatly relieved that I was not wearing what that degenerate wore. Boxers are for adult males. Briefs remind me of the Spider-Man, King Kong things my 4 year old demands.:cool:

You know, four years later the press asked that same question to Bob Dole and insisted that the American public had a right to know as Clinton had already answered the question. Dole's response: "Uhhhmmmm. Well.......depends."

(Not too often one gets to tell an election year joke from 1996 these days! :p )

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
I myself am a boxers man, I find them entirely comfortable, have never had them ride up on me unless I am wearing jeans (I know absolute horror that someone would wear denim!) and then that is fairly rare. If you buy the right type of boxers i.e. nice and loose, then they don't ride up. Once you get through the transition period from briefs to boxers you won't look back. I now only wear briefs to exercise for support, but otherwise am a converted boxer man. I absolutely love the old yoke front kind of boxer with a balloon seat and one piece at the back, that way there is no seam to bother you, but generally I find any type of boxer comfortable.

Having said all that if briefs are your choice then that's fine. I would urge you to try boxers but it is all up to you.

Cheers!

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
I prefer boxers to briefs. Briefs are to restricting and causes me to chaf. Boxers are 10 times more comfortable and I do not have the problem of them riding up. When I wear my kilt, it is nothing worn underneath. As the old saying goes, when asked what is worn under the kilt, you answer nothing is worn. All is in perfect working order.:cheers1:

GG

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Underwear has not always been a fascination for women and how they want their bodies to appear. There was a time in the world when men… real men took pride in their figure to the point that they would buy underwear that helped improve the look of their physique. As in the way many ladies corset and belly shapers have gone out of fashion, men’s underwear has taken a turn for the drab with choices being limited to pretty much the bare necessities of boxers or briefs or boxer briefs (my preference).

As my belly gets slimmer there are a few things I’d like to share about men’s underwear.

1. With modern underwear, tuck the undershirt into the undershorts.
This keeps the dress shirt from being dragged out by the undershirt and gives a cleaner appearance.

2. For the heavier men… wear the undershorts below the overlapping belly and the trousers over the belly and at your natural waste. This takes some of the pressure off your wasteband and keeps the undershorts from riding up even higher and causing discomfort.

3. When they change color, buy new underwear... I have been on too many business trips where the guy in the room with me has on a pair that was probably white to begin with though changed color over time... Ladies, if this is your guy... buy him some new cotton.

In many cases the women have it easy... they know where to go when they want a garment that makes them look as though they have lost 5 pounds... For men, in the year 2006 you have to do an in depth google search that may yield nothing you'd touch with a 10 foot pole.

5-vi.jpg

mens6-vi.jpg

mens22-vi.jpg

mens72-vi.jpg

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
Dovre undershirt

A tip on undershirts!

Dovre is a old norwegian brand (founded 1922) and still has one
nice longsleeved undershirt with buttons in their collection.
Dovre is known for their good quality.

Here is the undershirt "grandad" (bestefar).
(but not sure wich decade it was popular).

image2.jpg

The brand's homepage: http://www.dovre.com

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Just wondered if anyone else finds the old "wife beater" style of undershirt useless?

They dont keep me warm.
They dont protect my shirts from under arm stains.

Not sure what good they are unless you where them as a tank top.

Am I missing something?

Doug C

Practically Family
Well from my perspective, I prefer the "wife beater" style to regular t-shirts simply because they aren't as bulky and do keep me somewhat warmer in cooler weather when worn under another shirt. I live in Texas where it's almost always hot and I can't understand how anyone here could wear a regular t-shirt under a button-down shirt in this heat, much less with a tie - but I see people do it all the time. I guess the "WB" type would atleast wick up some of the body sweat a little. Guess I'm just too hot natured for any of them unless it's fall or winter.

Doug C

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Doug C said:
Well from my perspective, I prefer the "wife beater" style to regular t-shirts

I prefer tee-shirts, mainly because they keep my shirts dry on more places. Also, I can't but associate the others with ugly couches, beer bellies, and tellies. Not your fault.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Undershirts Are The Secret For Keeping Dry!

Doug C said:
I live in Texas where it's almost always hot and I can't understand how anyone here could wear a regular t-shirt under a button-down shirt in this heat, much less with a tie - but I see people do it all the time.

When I first moved to Houston I was not an undershirt wearer but I was advised, by a native, to become a practitioner. It works. Yes, it seems incongruous to keeping cool but it works. I'm now a believer.

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
I used to wear a t-shirt but they tent to cause strange patterns against the dress shirt every so often. Switched to Under-Armor thats a half size too big (so it is loose) and that works fantastic.

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
Matt Deckard said:
In many cases the women have it easy... they know where to go when they want a garment that makes them look as though they have lost 5 pounds... For men, in the year 2006 you have to do an in depth google search that may yield nothing you'd touch with a 10 foot pole.
/IMG]

I happen to think a man with a belly is very sexy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ