PDA

View Full Version : Beaver Brand Hats

hatflick1
07-14-2006, 08:38 AM
Here's a website I stumbled onto.
http://thvnvaq.safeshopper.com/85/cat85.htm?463
Admittedly, I don't know that much about Beaver Brand hats.
Just thought I'd pass it along.

adamgottschalk
07-14-2006, 08:55 AM
Only thing I know about Beaver Brand is that I have an old one in navy that is one of my very favorite hats. It's very well made, tough, perfectly styled for me (homburg bash and a 1.75" brim), and a unique color (the navy felt has little white fur flecks throughout). Happened on it by accident on eBay for cheap.

Thanks for the link! So many colors to choose from, that's just amazing. And the prices aren't too bad, if the hats are anywhere near as nice as this vintage one I have. Cactus, Kangaroo, Whiskey, CharBrown, Fenway Brown...Wow. They even have a homburg with a 2 1/8" brim. It's truly odd that right when you start thinking you've got all the hats you need is right when you come across some really cool new ones :eusa_doh:

gekisai29
07-14-2006, 09:16 AM
Check out or fellow lounger fedorastore's site if yuo like the beaver brand

ortega76
07-14-2006, 01:11 PM
Check out or fellow lounger fedorastore's site if yuo like the beaver brand

Every time I go to his site, that Beaver Brand "Jet Set" calls my name.

Rick Blaine
07-14-2006, 02:04 PM
...looks pretty sweethttp://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/5462/2h/thvnvaq.safeshopper.com/images/bm0ovoze.jpg

and the array of colors is nothing short of staggering... wonder what the felt is like and I wonder if our friend Duannne at The Fedorastore can access these... 'cause all things being equal, I would rather send my buisness to someone who has been a staunch Fedora Lounge supporter!

Joel Tunnah
07-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Here's the open road model on thefedorastore site:

http://www.thefedorastore.com/Beaver-Brand-1483-5X-Fur-Felt-Open-Road-Style-Cow-p/1483.htm

Rick Blaine
07-14-2006, 06:02 PM
Here's the open road model on thefedorastore site:

http://www.thefedorastore.com/Beaver-Brand-1483-5X-Fur-Felt-Open-Road-Style-Cow-p/1483.htm

Duh... :eusa_doh: you know I had seen that before... just failed to make the association because the treatment of the creases look so different. I wonder if, since they are special order, they can be obtained open crowned?

shoeshineboy
07-14-2006, 06:57 PM
these hats are made in missouri too...one of these days very soon i am planning a visit...

mark the shoeshine boy

besdor
07-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Beaver Brand is a small company that unfortunately sits in the shadow of Stetson and Bailey Hats . While their quality is good , most stores will only deal with them on a special order basis. They have little name regognition today . Years ago , they went by the name Langenberg hats . Once in a while you will see a hat on Ebay with the name Lion Hats . It was their brand .
We will try to carry some basics from them in the fall such as a 2" brim cenderdent and a few westerns . I'd hate to see another USA factory close !!

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

DOUGLAS
07-14-2006, 09:25 PM
I have a couple of Beaver Brand western style hats and their quality is far better than any of the modern Stetsons I own as far as felt, feel and fit.

I like that open crown western thefedorastore is showing. A 2.5"brim and a 6.5" crown. It looks pretty nice.

Pilgrim
07-15-2006, 02:19 PM
I've had a Beaver "Major" model for 10+ years - it's dark grey with a 2" brim. decent hat, although the brim tends to ripple a bit, unlike the smooth-laying felt in the older hats I own. I also have a 1960's Beaver western hat that looks none the worse for occasional wear after 30 years.

ledsled
07-15-2006, 03:42 PM
I like the looks of the Beaver Brand C crown in the mink color. If someone has any literature/pictures showing it with the narrow ribbon, please post it. Thanks.

Kodiak
07-16-2006, 07:57 PM
Wow... thanks for these links. I have a beaver brand Indy fedora from Lee Keppler. Very nice hat. This past weekend I was in Chicago, first in a downpour Friday afternoon in which my hat got soaked, then when I finally got it air-dried, the next day a suitcase fell on it and crushed it. Still, the fedora survived with nary more than a crease.

Does anybody know if you can order direct from Beaver Brand, ie buy a blank and bash it yourself (or pay Steve Delk to do it :o )

Regards,
-Kodiak

Lee Keppler
07-16-2006, 08:58 PM
I can match the Fedorastore.com's price on "off the rack" Beaver Brand Hats. I also do custom hats using the BB shells. Indy, Bogart, etc. Best to call me at 619-647-6744
Kind regards, Lee

PS Been away, but I'm back!

SHARPETOYS
07-16-2006, 09:16 PM
Welcome back " Lee.".. You have been missed by many.:eusa_clap

besdor
07-17-2006, 10:47 AM
It seems that Beaver Brand realy wants to do business . They are opening a showroom in New York soon . Maybe we can bring them back up to the old days when they were known as Langenberg hats . They made a good product back then .
One good thing about them is they are willing to do custom work unlike Stetson . It's just that without the name recognition ,it's a tough sell .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Joel Tunnah
07-17-2006, 12:19 PM
As for getting some Loungers to buy these hats, it would really help if you retailers would list the open crown heights, and put some profile shots on your web sites. How about an inside photo also, while you're at it? How hard is it to take a couple digital pictures?

How someone can expect me to send them $120 for a hat they show in a tiny grainy promo shot is beyond me.

Joel

DOUGLAS
07-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Besdor, do you know where in New York they are planning a show room? There was for the longest time a small shop under contruction on bleeker street that claimed it was going to be a Stetson store. It had the window completely covered with an old B+W photo of a store front filled with hats but it never opened.

besdor
07-17-2006, 12:50 PM
Douglas , there wont be a Stetson store. New managment rethought their sales goals and decided against it . As for Beaver Brand , the showroom will be on 26th st . I'll be notified soon about the location .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Kodiak
07-17-2006, 01:10 PM
This one is kinda cool...

Flat Top Hat (http://www.thefedorastore.com/Beaver-Brand-Legacy-Fur-Felt-Flat-Top-Hat-p/d1613.htm)

Since the hat is being made for you, you have many options, such as smaller brim size, crown shape, ribbon style, width, etc.

Does this mean that I could order one without the bound edge?

Regards,
-Kodiak

DOUGLAS
07-17-2006, 02:41 PM
Oh well[huh]

ortega76
07-17-2006, 07:18 PM
I must say that I had a very positive, pleasant experience with FedoraStore. I will use them again. And again. And again. Moreover, I will recommend them again and again and again. :)

J.B.
07-17-2006, 08:29 PM
I've got a vintage BB fedora in chocolate and it is prolly my second or third-favorite hat of all time! The color of the felt is the best I've seen. It is a real fine piece of work, and I understand the company is back to producing affordable haute qualit?© hats again!

I darn near broke into tears a few years ago when somehow it picked up a teensee-tynee moth "dent" in the brim... I still retaliate every chance I get by turning on my porch-light in the evening and smashing one or two of those nasty sunzabitchiss into smithereens!!! [bad]

(Sounds terrible, but hey, I'm not as bad as our parish priest that used to shoot a .38 Special out of the rectory window at gophers in the churchyard...) :eusa_doh:

I must say that I had a very positive, pleasant experience with FedoraStore. I will use them again. And again. And again. Moreover, I will recommend them again and again and again. :)

Anyway, just for the record -- I admire what both Beaver Brand and TheFedoraStore are attempting to do to rekindle interest in hats. I'm in the process of adding one or two of these babies to my wardrobe via Duane now. :)

gekisai29
07-17-2006, 08:36 PM
as indicated elsewhere i am a fedora store fan bigtime. let's try to support all lounge vendors as they impart a world of knowledge & help as well as good pricing & service.

Joel Tunnah
07-18-2006, 08:12 AM
Loungers are already buying these hats.

Good! Whoever you are, please post some good detailed pictures, and let us know what you think about the quality, fit, finish, etc.

Joel

Prairie Shade
07-18-2006, 01:44 PM
How do the new Beaver Brand Hats compare to say Akubra? I have several Akubras and find them very durable, but they do shrink when wet and fade. How would you compare the felts???

Kodiak
07-18-2006, 03:21 PM
How do the new Beaver Brand Hats compare to say Akubra? I have several Akubras and find them very durable, but they do shrink when wet and fade. How would you compare the felts???

When I was in Chicago last weekend, my Indy fedora from BB (bashed by Lee Keppler) got not only soaked, but also covered in dust from a restuarant and crushed by a suitcase. It came out without a scratch, the only damage was a slight crease in the side that I could steam out but have decided to leave to give the hat "character". Of course, that was only the second time it's been really wet, but it is still fairly durable. I can't compare to Akubra (yet) but compared to the modern Resistol cowboy hat I have (also in Beaver) this one is much higher quality felt.

Regards,
-Kodiak

jimmy the lid
07-18-2006, 03:39 PM
...compared to the modern Resistol cowboy hat I have (also in Beaver) this one is much higher quality felt.

Do Beaver Brand hats actually contain beaver -- anyone know the composition of the felt?

Pilgrim
07-18-2006, 06:21 PM
I can testify that my Beaver Milano straw is pretty stout and well-made.

As for felt, I would assume the proportions vary just like every other hat. I suspect Beaver is missing from anything but the high-priced models.

Kodiak
07-18-2006, 06:59 PM
Do Beaver Brand hats actually contain beaver -- anyone know the composition of the felt?

Yeah they contain beaver fur. The amount varies. I'll ask Lee when I speak with him next. My Indy fedora is in 6X fur, but according to Lee they have been bumped up to 8X fur as one level and 10X fur as the next. You'll have to contact him about prices, but the fur overall seems to be very high quality, especially considering the amount you are paying (according to Lee, about $155 for the 8X).

Regards,
-Kodiak

Prairie Shade
07-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Thought that since Akubra was considered a sort of "starter" lid, price wise the BB and Akubra are in the same ball park, might be interesting to compare US vs Australia when it comes to modern hat making. I'm familiar with Akubra, not BB. Anyone have both?? Anyone care to compare??

ortega76
07-19-2006, 10:32 AM
To be honest, I've never been impressed with the Akubra hats I've seen at retail. They look good, but not great. I looked around for my original "big fedora" purchase (but had to be under $150) and settled on my Biltmore. Maybe I didn't see the "right" Akubra but it just didn't seem to catch my eye.

besdor
07-19-2006, 12:55 PM
The selection of Akubra hats here in the USA is not the greatest . The one agent in the USA has a lmited selection as the cost to bring them in is high .

The quality is the same whether bought here or overseas. I'd buy them from a dealer in Australia . You would get a better selection that way .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Prairie Shade
07-19-2006, 02:36 PM
I have purchased several Akubras, but never a Beaver Brand. Heck, I would rather buy American, but once again, how do they compare?? Felt wise, quality wise, durability, etc. etc. ANYONE???

SHARPETOYS
07-19-2006, 03:03 PM
My guess zero beaver...

Beaver Brand Hats
101 Southgate Highway C
New Haven, MO 63068

Phone: (573) 237-5604
Fax: (573) 237-5610
Toll Free: (800) 428-1860
bbhats@fidnet.com

Kodiak
07-19-2006, 07:56 PM
The selection of Akubra hats here in the USA is not the greatest . The one agent in the USA has a lmited selection as the cost to bring them in is high .

The quality is the same whether bought here or overseas. I'd buy them from a dealer in Australia . You would get a better selection that way .

If ya'll are referring to David Morgan, unless you need it right now, avoid them. I haven't bought from them, so I guess I'm not really being fair to them, but you can get a stockman hat from them at $98 USD plus shipping, while from Everything Australian you can get the same hat for something like $85 USD, including shipping.

And if beaver is not in my beaver brand fedora, then that is some dang fine rabbit fur.

SHARPETOYS
07-20-2006, 08:44 AM
My guess zero beaver...

Beaver Brand Hats
101 Southgate Highway C
New Haven, MO 63068

Phone: (573) 237-5604
Fax: (573) 237-5610
Toll Free: (800) 428-1860
bbhats@fidnet.com

I called and spoke with Jan...
The 3X is wool felt. The 4X up to the 20X is rabbitt fur felt "No Beaver" in the felt. Did I say no beaver...

Jan, said the Higher the X's = Better the finish. 8X and above are all "hand finished."

"The Only Beaver in there felts is a 20X and it has 20% Beaver in the felt".

scotrace
07-20-2006, 09:03 AM
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

If one wants to wear a fine beaver felt hat, the choice of vendor is narrowed very quickly.
If one doesn't mind a little cowboy felt or knowing that he may run into another chap sporting a matching lid in Purple, there are many more options.

Nice scoutin' Sharpey.

jimmy the lid
07-20-2006, 09:14 AM
I called and spoke with Jan...
The 3X is wool felt. The 4X up to the 20X is rabbitt fur felt "No Beaver" in the felt. Did I say no beaver...

Jan, said the Higher the X's = Better the finish. 8X and above are all "hand finished."

"The Only Beaver in there felts is a 20X and it has 20% Beaver in the felt".

That's what I suspected. The name "Beaver Brand" is a little too convenient -- it implicitly suggests that the company's standard product contains beaver in the felt. Apparently, that's not the case. They may still be good hats, but the name is a tad misleading...

shoeshineboy
07-20-2006, 09:44 AM
http://www.beaverbrandhats.com/159250.html

If you read the history of the Beaver Brand Hat Company you will find it originated in St Louis. This is known as the "Gateway to the West" for a reason. St Louis was originally established as a trading station, way back when. Pioneers started in St louis and bought thier goods and trecked west. Louis and Clark started here.

I am sure when they were 100% for the longest time, but times change and so did the contents of the hat. However with a simple phone call (as Sharpetoys did) or e-mail, Jan clear it completely.

While I do not know the quality of the hats myself, because I have not felt or owned one, I am planning to take a trip to New Haven, which is a couple of hours away from me. I believe it would be interesting to see a hat factory.

I agree with you about the name being slightly misleading, but just like Anheiser Busch...they ain't no mo anheiser around....just the busch's....

mark the shoeshine boy

besdor
07-20-2006, 10:30 AM
I agree that the name "Beaver Brand" is misleading . I'm sure that years ago , here was beaver in many of the dress hats made by Stetson , Dobbs ect ..
However, a knowledgeable hat wearer such as those on the FL should know that in a hat retaling for less than 200.00 that there will be little or no beaver used . That includes Borsalino , Stetson and Beaver Brands.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

SHARPETOYS
07-20-2006, 11:39 AM
I have purchased several Akubras, but never a Beaver Brand. Heck, I would rather buy American, but once again, how do they compare?? Felt wise, quality wise, durability, etc. etc. ANYONE???

I would buy Akubra...
I have a friend that is a hatter and he has reblocked both brands and he said the Akubra is a much better felted hat... I do believe the Akubra is a much better priced hat also.

Akubra uses wild hare in their felts... :D

scotrace
07-20-2006, 12:10 PM
If Akubra would make a Campdraft (the old Open Road body) in the same grade felt they make the Fed Deluxe, they'd break the Fed's sales record.

I think Michaelson once said that the Federation is the best selling hat Akubra's ever done. Someone at the company should be smelling money and building on that obvious market. (or they should be sacked for the missed opportunity).

SHARPETOYS
07-20-2006, 12:14 PM
Good point and we all can.

Write Ron, at Hatsdirect and share this with him and if he gets enough requests I think it can be done...:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

http://www.hatsdirect.com/akubra_hats.html

Prairie Shade
07-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Sounds like a fair assesment of the two Brands. I suspected something about BB was too good to be true. Think the Fed vs Campdraft is a good idea so I guess I better get on board. Sharpe - - I'm going to post my Akubra Territory with the purg you put me onto very soon. Thanks again.

Joel Tunnah
07-20-2006, 12:42 PM
You guys are saying Beaver Brand sucks because it has no beaver in it - and then you say Akubra is great... yet, it also has zero beaver in it. [huh]

Also, seemingly no one has held one of these (new, "custom") BB hats, so maybe we should give them the benefit of the doubt. Just my opinion.;)

Joel

besdor
07-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Joel, I dont think anyone is saying that Beaver Brands sucks. Akubra seems to be a sturdier hat that has gotten a lot of good reviewes on the lounge. Beaver Brand is a new entry in the hat business only because they havent done much over the last few years. How do they hold up . I think only time will tell . Their 8x and 10x qualities are very good. They are on par with Biltmores better quality hats . They will also make hats to order with is something that is almost unheard of today .
I'm going to give them a chance in the fall because they are trying to keep the hat business alive in the USA . They are also a lot easier to deal with than Akubra which is on the other side on the planet .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com
:rolleyes:

Kodiak
07-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Also, seemingly no one has held one of these (new, "custom") BB hats, so maybe we should give them the benefit of the doubt.

I don't know if you guys are discounting me as a noob or what, and to tell the truth I don't really care, but I have held one of the custom BB hats, I have used it and I have abused it, and it has held up to my highest expectations and beyond. Sucks to me if you guys aren't getting this, but Beaver Brand makes a dang good hat... be it full of Beaver fur or not.

Pilgrim
07-20-2006, 01:12 PM
I agree that the name "Beaver Brand" is misleading . I'm sure that years ago , here was beaver in many of the dress hats made by Stetson , Dobbs ect ..
Steven

Not to be contentious, but Beaver has had that brand name for many years. it's a brand name, not an implicit promise of hair content. As their product changes, I don't feel that they need to change their name.

I whimsically suggest that this name evolution would be counter-productive:

Old-to-new progression:

"Beaver"
"Partly Beaver, formerly Beaver"
"A Bit-O-Beaver, formerly Beaver"
"No Beaver, formerly Beaver"
"Beaver-in-the-Pricey-Models, formerly Beaver"

If companies had to change their names to reflect the reality of their product content, the truck brand GMC would have disappeared no later than the 70's. Their trucks and Chevrolet are built from the same parts bins. When I sold Chevy pickups in the period 1977-79, we'd occasional receive a Chevy pickup with a GMC emblem on the side. The body shop just tossed those and stuck an identical-sized Chevy emblem in its place.

The same can be said to varying degrees of BMW/Mini-Cooper, Ford/Jaguar, GM cars, Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infiniti, Toyota/Lexus, and so forth.

shoeshineboy
07-20-2006, 01:19 PM
I confirmed this with Jan as well. The 20X contains 20% Beaver, but none other. Like Sharpe's signature states... get your facts first..... I guess I misunderstood her.

duane,

it was good of you to admit this in public...i know it to be tough to know everything there is about your product that you represent. I believe that we have a better understanding and we are looking forward to the hats that BB Hats are coming out with and give them a fair evaluation.

mark the shoeshine boy

shoeshineboy
07-20-2006, 01:23 PM
I don't know if you guys are discounting me as a noob or what, and to tell the truth I don't really care, but I have held one of the custom BB hats, I have used it and I have abused it, and it has held up to my highest expectations and beyond. Sucks to me if you guys aren't getting this, but Beaver Brand makes a dang good hat... be it full of Beaver fur or not.

kodiak,

i don't think any one is shunning you as a newbie...post your hats and lets take a look...

mark the shoeshine boy

Prairie Shade
07-20-2006, 01:35 PM
Excellent idea shoeshineboy!! I'm just looking for a fair comparison or similar priced hats, BB vs Akubra. I dont have any stock in either. What concerned me was the wool felt comment in an earlier post.

Kodiak
07-20-2006, 02:42 PM
I can't speak for an Akubra because I don't own one. I'll try to get a buddy to bring over his Fed this weekend when he visits so that I can compare felts.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/2181/africaindygearpiclargecloseupo.jpg

This is the best pic I have of my BB fedora. Sorry, I was taking pics for COW.

Regards,
-Kodiak

epic610
07-21-2006, 06:53 PM
will be anxious to see how this works out with FL members

BigSho
07-22-2006, 09:09 AM
If I may offer my two cents in this discussion I think that both Akubra and Beaver Brand are both somewhat lacking. Stiff felts and and the styling isn't all that much to be desired in my opinion. I have done custom ordering from Beaver Brand and they are good but I have found Biltmore to be much better quality and better pricing for the money. I can order an 80% beaver 20% hair mix from them that is an incredibly nice felt for about 325 - 350. Even their lower end felts are quite nice in the 95 to 125 range. Although I am interested to see the quality on those Beaver Brands the fedora Store has up there.

Jeremy
http://www.hats-plus.com

DOUGLAS
07-22-2006, 02:03 PM
The Beaver Brand open crown models have my imagination running overtime.
I guess I have more hats to buy.;)

Kodiak
07-23-2006, 03:57 PM
I had a buddy over this past weekend who has an Akubra Federation (not deluxe) from ages ago. I got him to compare the felts, and this is what he came back with:

-softer, thinner and higher-quality felt
-much better color (if you are going for the Indy look)
-"How much is this hat, I want to buy one!"

Works for me, folks.

mtechthang
02-29-2008, 04:07 PM
However, a knowledgeable hat wearer such as those on the FL should know that in a hat retaling for less than 200.00 that there will be little or no beaver used .

Steven- Misleading? Doesn't that imply they named it *in order to lead* us? I think I totally agree with your second sentiment though! Perhaps it would suffice to say that *caveat emptor* still applies? :cheers1: :cheers1: Of course, one could also say that Borsalino and Stetson are misleading.

Perhaps I'm taking your comments too literally- if so, apologies. :o We mustn't forget either that, I serving as an example, some subscribers to FL are seeking wisdom rather than in possession of it. I have been driven, for lack of a better word, to hats due to evil Mr. Sun!! :eusa_booh But I'm learning to revere the Fedora through FL and deeply appreciate the opportunity to benefit from the experience of knowledgeable wearers such as yourself! :eusa_clap

As to Akubra or Beaver Brands suck (separate thread- not from Steven!). I think that is relative. If your target is a hat of the quality of, let us say, Art Fawcett's offerings then these hats leave much to be desired. If one is coming from the world of wool felt or can't fathom wearing a quality hat to feed the horses or, in Art's case recently, to cut fallen trees, then an Akubra or BBs are fine fettle indeed! :) I hope I'm making any sense. I'd have to say that the good advice on FL has already saved me countless bad decisions!!:eusa_clap :cheers1:

Highlander
03-17-2008, 08:07 PM
About 10 years ago a few close friends of mine owned Beaver Brand Hats. I had them make a few custom cowboy hats for me and they are great hats. I don't have any of their fedoras, but I have seen a few of them and felt they were good quality hats for the price.

As with most things, price becomes a factor in all. Especially X's. The more beaver fur, the more $$'s. I guess X's = $'s... :)

KY Gentleman
03-17-2008, 08:21 PM
I found a great sale on the Fedora Store site about a month ago. I bought a Beaver Brand Fedora from them and I really like it, in fact I check the site often for another chance on a "deal" on another one!

KY Gentleman
03-18-2008, 09:35 AM
I'll be watching, thanks for the information. You'll definetly get an order from me!

ideaguy
03-19-2008, 01:56 PM
that photo by adamgottchalk: Is it me, or is that one heck of a good photo??

PabloElFlamenco
04-14-2008, 06:24 AM
As to the ongoing debate over the quality (or lacking thereof) of BB hats, well I've "won" a western style one on the bay, said to be from the 1980's or older, and as soon as I've received it, I'll be adding my two (euro)cents.
Paul

DanielJones
04-14-2008, 12:50 PM
One of the very first fedoras that I purchased was a Beaver Brand in a little shop in Virginia City, Nevada. It's built similar to many of my vintage lids that I now have but I don't think as durable as the vintage. Still it is a nice looking hat that is very wearable even in the snow as that is what I used it for out in Nevada. It did keep the noggin warm while surveying in the snow.
As far as beaver content is concerned I'm not sure, but it is stamped 6X. Anyway I would rate it as a good working mans hat, but it can be dressy as it has brim binding.

Cheers!

Dan

PabloElFlamenco
04-25-2008, 03:37 AM
The Beaver Hats hat I won on the bay arrived today.
New condition, even though qualified "vintage" (possibly 1980's). "Ten x quality", "Belgium" color (a foggy light-brown). A very nice hat, 4-inch brim with a high crown. The lateral parts of the brim are rolled in a very nice curl, adding a touch of southern charm. The hat is quite "hard", meaning plenty shellac appears to have been liberally applied to what appears a good quality and dense felt. The finish of the sweatband and the interior lining are carefully done. I'm pleased with this $40 (plus shipping and belgian customs clearance $16) acquisition, much better (and less costly) than the brand-new $99+costs "Justin" 6x I bought last month. Hats like these are impossible to find on the Belgian market, I must admit there is hardly a market for them: most western hats on belgian 2nd hand sites are of the "mardi-gras" variety, wool-felt at the very best, and (half?)-decent quality new fur-felt ones cost $200-300 range in the sole serious western shop in Brussels.
I now await arrival of the 1940-ish nutria fur kettle boss raw edge J.B. Stetson Philadelphia which safely arrived at my Virginia correspondent. This is a top hat, I expect!
Paul

PabloElFlamenco
04-25-2008, 04:08 AM
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/PabloElFlamenco/El%20cajon%20de%20Pablo/Vintagebeaver.jpg

Here's my first try at posting a photo; this is the Beaver Hats western style hat...
Paul

MississippiLong
04-25-2008, 01:15 PM
I bought an "Amish Hat" that was beaver brand off ebay. the brim was right around 4 1/2 in. and the crown 6 in. I got it on ebay for a steal, 5X fur felt. I trimmed the brim and put in a "multi-facet" diamond bash....alas, my digital camera is broken, instead of getting a new one, I buy more hats....:eusa_doh:

great hat though.

HarpPlayerGene
04-29-2008, 08:02 PM
I have one Beaver Brand hat from who knows how long ago. It is, or originally was, a light tan/buff color. Pictures someday. Probably sold in the 70s. Got it cheap from EB a while back as a project since it was offered in a crumpled condition. I have reblocked it, replaced the wierd felt band and buckle with a simple leather one and replaced the sweatband. Also removed the liner as it has been my beaver felt beater since I got it. My girlfriend calls it a "fly fishing hat" because it reminds her of the ones the characters wore in "A River Runs Through It".

I put this thing through the worst treatment. Construction work on old houses, yardwork in the Florida summer heat, working on my truck, downpours...you name it. Nice to have one I don't worry about - in fact, the dirtier it gets the cooler it is. And it hasn't lost any snap or shape for all the abuse, even with a raw edge brim.

PabloElFlamenco
04-30-2008, 03:04 AM
...I put this thing through the worst treatment.
...the dirtier it gets the cooler it is

Every hat-lover should have one of these kind of hats.
There's perfection, immaculate, and there's the state of perfection, unforeseeable, unexpected, earned through...time...nothing one does can plan this status in advance, as it would be destined to fail. I might add such hats are very personal (and -in my view- should remain so lol )
Pablo

HarpPlayerGene
05-01-2008, 10:39 PM
As it was when I bought it. lol
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/harpplayergene/Beaver%20Brand%20Beater/da8c_1.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/harpplayergene/Beaver%20Brand%20Beater/d8c5_1.jpg

And as now...
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/harpplayergene/Beaver%20Brand%20Beater/DSC_0003.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/harpplayergene/Beaver%20Brand%20Beater/DSC_0013.jpg

KY Gentleman
05-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Sir. FYI, we are in the midst of our move to Custer, SD (much sooner than ever anticipated). After April 14th, when I get settled, we will put a large selection of BB hats on sale again. These are ready to ship, no waiting, but also no customization. Regards...
When will this sale begin?

KY Gentleman
01-23-2009, 12:09 AM
I had not worn my Beaver Brand hat in a long time until recently.
I put it on this week and...wow. I forgot how much I liked this hat.
Any more sales on the horizon? I want another one of these in another color!

AEH
01-23-2009, 06:57 AM
The Beaver Hats hat I won on the bay arrived today.
New condition, even though qualified "vintage" (possibly 1980's). "Ten x quality", "Belgium" color (a foggy light-brown). A very nice hat, 4-inch brim with a high crown ...
Paul

Is "Beaver Brand" and "Beaver Hats" the same thing? Last Christmas I took some pictures of my brother-in-law's "Bever Hats" hat. The only 100% beaver fur felt I have touched, a superb tactile experience. He bought the hat in the early 70's here in Trondheim, Norway, and it was produced in the US for a hat shop in Trondheim. This is certainly a high quality hat.
The pictures are a bit blury, perhaps due to some refreshments :)

http://www.murul.no/hatter/alf.jpg
http://www.murul.no/hatter/alf1.jpg
http://www.murul.no/hatter/alf_2.jpg
http://www.murul.no/hatter/alf_3.jpg

Justdog
01-23-2009, 07:31 PM
For those that asked to be informed, There is a number of in-stock beaver brand products (http://www.thefedorastore.com/Beaver-Brand-Hats-s/130.htm) back on the website that are nicely discounted. I acquired these from a fellow hat vendor, and they are substantially less that the custom order hats. Hope everyone is well.

Does that OR 8x have the option of a slight roll as opposed to the medium roll pictured?

PabloElFlamenco
01-24-2009, 10:34 AM
AEH asked...
is "Beaver Brand" and "Beaver Hats" the same thing?

I don't really know...
Look at the first picture, that's the original box of my Beaver Hats western hat. I include some pictures (30 minutes old).
Who's got a picture of the "Beaver Brand" logo?

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/PabloElFlamenco/002-2.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/PabloElFlamenco/004-3.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/PabloElFlamenco/006-1.jpg
...not original leather hatband I bought from an internet shop in Durango, Colorado...

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/PabloElFlamenco/007.jpg

The hat is very light in weight. Stiff as cardboard. Yet, I believe this is very good felt (marked 10X). It's not by any means my favorite hat, because the style is -in my view- very 1980's soft pudding western, très passé...

Paul

carouselvic
01-28-2009, 03:12 PM
AEH asked...
is "Beaver Brand" and "Beaver Hats" the same thing?

I don't really know...
Look at the first picture, that's the original box of my Beaver Hats western hat. I include some pictures (30 minutes old).
Who's got a picture of the "Beaver Brand" logo?

Paul

Beaver Brand Hats is (or was) in control of the trade mark (that image that is on the box that you have shown), they have used it on their sweatbands. The image on their liners is a different beaver. I own two of their hats, both are marked with the two different beavers

barrowjh
01-28-2009, 04:16 PM
I'll certainly vouch for BB quality, and just yesterday recommended a BB version of the OR called a 'river runner' but sold by Helmer at this thread:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=37816
Which option would a person choose on thefedorastore site to chase one of these? Helmer indicates it can be obtained in a light green - thefedorastore does not presently show that color. Anyway, for under $120, that looks like a darned fine OR/Strat clone, and you're not going to beat BB quality for 'factory' made.