PDA

View Full Version : Moths!

Mulceber
07-18-2006, 12:25 PM
around this time of year I leave the window open, and despite the screens I've put in, at least a dozen moths have gotten into my room, and I'm worrying for the safety of my Adventurebilt. I want to protect my hat, but I don't want it smelling like mothballs. Is there anything you guys can think of to keep that "unique" mothball smell off it? -Mulceber

jake_fink
07-18-2006, 12:41 PM
Cedar. You can get hat stretchers that are made of cedar, leave one in your hat.

You probably don't have to worry since not all moths are hat eaters.

Baron Kurtz
07-18-2006, 12:45 PM
There are also mothballs that don't smell, or smell of something nice. Same nasty chemicals ... without the nasty chemical smell.

If they're the big old moths that are coming in towards the light, they're not likely to be fabric eaters ...

bk

Mulceber
07-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Thanks guys, I'll probably try a combination of the two of those, just to be extra careful, although you're right, those moths probably aren't the hat eating type. -Mulceber

thefedorastore
07-18-2006, 12:53 PM
:eusa_doh: Nuke your room with pesticide!

Hemingway Jones
07-18-2006, 12:56 PM
Flying moths don't eat fabric. Moth larvae do. And she will always lay her eggs out of the sunlight. So, keep your clothes and hats clean, rotate them regularly, seal up hat boxes (or leave them all lying about!), and you should be fine.