Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hatters (Hat shops)

Martin Newton-Hughes

New in Town
DOes anybody know of anywhere in the UK that has a hat shop I am not talking about highstreet shops.

I want to get a hat that fits me and my style.

I am also hoping to get a cusom leather jacket made by a scotish company called Alexander leathers.

I usually shop for iconic custom and tailored clothes because you get exactly what yo want and something that will last for a long time.

stratcat

One of the Regulars
DOes anybody know of anywhere in the UK that has a hat shop I am not talking about highstreet shops.

I want to get a hat that fits me and my style.

I am also hoping to get a cusom leather jacket made by a scotish company called Alexander leathers.

I usually shop for iconic custom and tailored clothes because you get exactly what yo want and something that will last for a long time.

The only place I know of that is a specific hat shop is Lock and co in London http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/
Maybe someone more experienced knows of somewhere else.

Aether

One of the Regulars
In London there is Bates and Christys in Jermyn Street, Lock & co is just around the corner. There is also Laird of London near Covent Garden. I believe Patey have a shop in Connaught Street and there is also The Hat Centre in Stoke Newington, but I've not been to either of those.

bloc

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the interest. All a work in progress at the moment. I have been a milliner for many years but changed over to hatting a couple of years ago. I have been collecting vintage equipment, most recently a load of blocks from Battersbys factory in Stockport. I have a conformateur, rounding jack, all the tools of the trade that I learnt about from old books and the wonderful knowledge here. I am buying in beaver fur felt from Fepsa but that's tricky because of the large orders they require. I get great leather sweatbands from an old hatting firm in Stockport. The website is not up yet but in the next month or two. I will be making bespoke fedoras. Starting with a limited number of styles and building up as I get more blocks. My workshop is in a lovely part of West Wales, nice for a weekend away, walking in the hills and talking quality headwear.

Aether

One of the Regulars
Found you on Twitter. Best of luck to you bloc, it'd be great to be able get a bespoke hat in the UK, and from a fellow Lounger too!

For a country that used to have so many great hat companies, the custom options over here are pretty much non-existent today, so I'll be watching your progress with great interest.

A bespoke Beaver Fedora sounds very tempting too!

stratcat

One of the Regulars
That all sounds fantastic, good luck with your venture. I'm sure there will be a good many of us UK loungers heading your way when you are up and running.

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
Found you on Twitter. Best of luck to you bloc, it'd be great to be able get a bespoke hat in the UK, and from a fellow Lounger too!

For a country that used to have so many great hat companies, the custom options over here are pretty much non-existent today, so I'll be watching your progress with great interest.

A bespoke Beaver Fedora sounds very tempting too!

+1

bloc

One of the Regulars
Thank you for your support UK Loungers. I don't know of anyone in the UK making men's hats by hand the traditional way apart from me. I might be wrong, if anyone finds someone I would be delighted to meet them.

It's not such a long way to come B1ggles. Make a weekend of it, lots of lovely beaches to explore, hills, great pubs. There'll be a welcome in the hillside :)

B1ggles

Familiar Face
Thank you for your support UK Loungers. I don't know of anyone in the UK making men's hats by hand the traditional way apart from me. I might be wrong, if anyone finds someone I would be delighted to meet them.

It's not such a long way to come B1ggles. Make a weekend of it, lots of lovely beaches to explore, hills, great pubs. There'll be a welcome in the hillside :)
Well, I didn't make it in person but Royal Mail got the hat to you and back quite reasonably.

Thanks very much for your excellent work, Bloc. I might make a weekend of it some other time; I have another hat that's seen better days and I'd love to see some of your own stuff, too.

Many thanks, I'm glad I've finally found someone in the UK who can refurbish traditional hats. I had already tried a few of what I thought were traditional hatmakers but they were only interested in repairing their own hats and wouldn't touch any others.

bloc

One of the Regulars
Well, I didn't make it in person but Royal Mail got the hat to you and back quite reasonably.

Thanks very much for your excellent work, Bloc. I might make a weekend of it some other time; I have another hat that's seen better days and I'd love to see some of your own stuff, too.

Many thanks, I'm glad I've finally found someone in the UK who can refurbish traditional hats. I had already tried a few of what I thought were traditional hatmakers but they were only interested in repairing their own hats and wouldn't touch any others.

Thank you for posting this. I only just saw it. Have been so busy, not been in the Fedora Lounge for a while. I hope to be able to help again, refurbs are always a joy :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider