Advertisements
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do it yourself perm?

Question Do it yourself perm?

Advertisements
    I didn't even knew that something like this existed, but I'm not known for being ahead of my time So since I'm really tired of doing my hair day for and then having my locks falling apart at the end of the day or sooner , I thought that would do the trick(?). I can't get a real perm since my hear is heavily bleached, but there are some "do it yourself" kits which say to protect damaged hair. Has anyone ever tried something like that? Would you recommend it? Any sideeffects? Let me know!

Naama
    There's only one thing in life you can't buy with money, and that's style.....

If you hair is heavily bleached I would not recommend a perm. If you still really wanted to try one, I would go to a hairdresser. Processed hair will take to a perm differently than unprocessed hair, and the effects can be extremely damaging. Definitely not something you want to mess with at home, as the nature of the perm is damaging, just as bleaching the hair is. A poorly performed permanent wave will result in breakage of the disulfide bonds through chemical reduction, because it fails to fix the newly formed bonds. This results in hair that is no longer elastic and flexible, but brittle and fragile. At that point, even combing the hair will result in hair loss.

My hair is only highlighted and every hairdresser I have been to refuses to perm it, saying that it will leave my hair a dry, frizzy mess; if a professional advises against it, I wouldn't want to mess with trying a perm at home!

As for the home perms, they have been around for a long time (starting with the Toni home permanent in the 1950s.) My mom used to perm her aunt's hair, in fact. Regardless, even if your hair is permed you still need to set it to achieve the right curl--so it wouldn't completely eliminate that step.

What Jitterbugdoll said!! Don't do it yourself! I remember back in the 1980's our neighbor asking my mom to give her a home perm. Her hair was very bleached blonde. My mom said the hair was just turning to goo in her hands! My mom had given my natural unprocessed hair perms many times, so it wasn't that she didn't know what she was doing. They are fine if your hair is in good shape (and you know how to set it to end up with the right curls to do vintage sets), but don't risk it otherwise.

My Mail is Forwarded Here
    The 80's, the decade of the home perm! Argh! Don't do it!!
    Like the ladies above me have said, go to a stylist. The home kits never work right. I just remember sneaking up to the bathroom with my closest girlfriend while in middle school, and giving each other home perms. Our hair was fried! The curls came out much too kinky, and the smell, oh the smell.
    Especially if you have heavily processed hair, a stylist will be able to give you the deep conditioning you will need to refresh your locks. She will also know how tight to wrap the curl, to give you exactly what you are looking for.
    I must admit, it is tempting to just go to the store and spend $30 on a home kit, verses hundreds of dollars on someone doing it for me.
    I am on a chemotherapy drug, a lower dose, but enough so that I have lost about half of my hair. It is also a lot dryer and poker straight. No longer thick with the body it used to have. I understand your desire to just put a permanent curl in it, it would make those endless hours of tight pin curls and aching arms a thing of the past. Wouldn't that be nice I'm seriously contemplating a chin length bob, be so much easier to take care of, and probably look a lot nicer. Lot's less length to curl, a girl can dream.
    Good luck and post pictures of how it comes out....

I've been contemplating getting a professional perm for awhile now, myself. But remember, you'll still have to set your hair to get that vintage look. The perm will just make it easier and make it hold longer.

Exactly--even gals with naturally curly hair still had to set it!

This is a bit hard to see, but Marilyn, who had very curly hair naturally, has her hair in pin curls here:

I agree, overprocessed hair is an 80s thing. There were isles of boxed home perms at the drug and grocery stores back then. Right next to the boxes of burgundy hair color.
    You don't want to damage your hair so badly that it begins to break off, like SOME people... Although there are some lovely wigs available (I may be needing one soon)

One of the Regulars
    For the love of god, DO NOT perm your own hair! Even if you have virgin hair, I would say DO NOT perm your own hair!

Home perms are a disaster in every box. As the daughter of a 1970s small-town, big-haired é─˙beauticiané─¨, I know all about home perms, and can say that my childhood, up until 1986, was marred by tight perms in August that relaxed to scruffy-looking messes by Christmas. I would then have the nightmare begin all over again in January with a new tight perm. DONé─˘T DO IT! Having the pain of fallen curls every day is better than the sinking feeling youé─˘ll have in your stomach as you remove the perm rods from your hair and rush to the nearest bottle of conditioner with on a desperate mission to relax what you've just done.

And as for perms on bleached hair, my sis did that. She had a platinum Gene Harlow hair-do with a great perm that only required a handful of hot rollers in the morning. She paid for it though, when she moved to the dry weather of Arizona for 6 months; all of her hair broke off, and she was left with bald spots and super short, fried hair. She was mortified one morning when she was standing in the bathroom with her feet covered in her own hair, and her hands full of clumps of pretty platinum locks.

DONé─˘T DO IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca D
    She was mortified one morning when she was standing in the bathroom with her feet covered in her own hair, and her hands full of clumps of pretty platinum locks.
    Oh the poor thing. That story does make me feel better about my recent hair dying/styling fiasco though. Arizona climate is wicked to hair and skin.

Distinguished Service Award Lauren's Avatar
    I had a perm done by my friend who is a hairstylist. If you plan on setting your hair every day it's worth it because it makes it easier IF your hair isn't already chemically treated. If you don't set your hair all the time, seriously, don't do it. It dries out your hair and it takes forever to grow out. I chopped all my hair off about 6 months ago just because I couldn't stand the straw-like feel of it, and my hair is pretty darn tough.
    http://wearinghistoryblog.com
    "...be transformed by the renewing of your mind." Romans 12:2