Page 469 of 589 FirstFirst ... 369419459467468469470471479519569 ... LastLast
Results 4,681 to 4,690 of 5890

Thread: What Are You Reading

Quote Originally Posted by HadleyH View Post
    I am battling between 2 second hand books I got.... one is my 4th bio of Amadeo Modigliani... "Modigliani: A Life" by Jeffrey Meyers or "A Girl Like I" by Anita Loos ... I have to make up my mind tonight or tomorrow night the latest. I will let you know my dears

Well....giving it a lot of thought and searching many,many books I haven't read in my library, I saw this one about Oona O'Neill, so this is the one I started reading, the other two I will leave for later.

This is my second bio of Oona.

My Mail is Forwarded Here AmateisGal's Avatar
    I just started a rather interesting novel last night called The Little Book by Selden Edwards. It's not a "little" book by any means - rather long, in fact. It took the author 30 years to write it. It's a time-traveling, historical novel, of sorts. The main character arrives in 1897 Vienna with absolutely no clue how he got there.

Also reading a plethora of research books for upcoming writing projects...
    Melissa
    Writing with Style
    World War 2 Reviews

Hi
    I'm reading trash, Dave Barry's I'll Mature When I'm Dead. It's a great book, I like his views on men versus women and their DNA. It all makes sense, which is of course bad since he's a journalist not a doctor. This is deep stuff, the chapter is called the Elephant and the Dandelion. Men are the Dandelion who, in order to assure the spread of their DNA must share as much of it as is humanly possible in the shortest amount of time. Women on the other hand, must actually make sure that the spawn of their DNA actually grow up causing a minor difference of dating strategy etc. Neither can help doing what they do...

The chapter on dance recitals is even funnier.

Later
    Mike

Groucho Marx said it best:
    “Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying all the wrong remedies.”

Just to say... I am loving this new Oona's biography!

"Vampires of Great Britain" by Tom Slemen. Fantastical reports of vampires and ghouls but I'm enjoying it.

I'm currently reading up on youth movements and school in Germany in the era of the Nazis.

Rome, Britain and the Anglo Saxons, by Nicholas Higham. And Decline & Fall, by Evelyn Waugh.
    The Rags of Time - my history blog

Vengance is Mine (1950) by Mickey Spillane. Finished David Wellington's 32 fangs last night. As with most of Wellington's, it was entertaining.
    Last edited by Touchofevil; 05-13-2012 at 09:48 AM.

One of the Regulars
    Gore Vidal 'Lincoln'

My Mail is Forwarded Here AmateisGal's Avatar
    For anyone who likes to keep track of new releases set during the Golden Era, keep on the look-out for this one:

Laura Lamont's Life in Pictures
    by Emma Straub
    The enchanting story of a midwestern girl who escapes a family tragedy and is remade as a movie star during Hollywood’s golden age.

In 1920, Elsa Emerson, the youngest and blondest of three sisters, is born in idyllic Door County, Wisconsin. Her family owns the Cherry County Playhouse, and more than anything, Elsa relishes appearing onstage, where she soaks up the approval of her father and the embrace of the audience. But when tragedy strikes her family, her acting becomes more than a child¹s game of pretend.

While still in her teens, Elsa marries and flees to Los Angeles. There she is discovered by Irving Green, one of the most powerful executives in Hollywood, who refashions her as a serious, exotic brunette and renames her Laura Lamont. Irving becomes Laura’s great love; she becomes an Academy Award*-winning actress—and a genuine movie star. Laura experiences all the glamour and extravagance of the heady pinnacle of stardom in the studio-system era, but ultimately her story is a timeless one of a woman trying to balance career, family, and personal happiness, all while remaining true to herself.

Ambitious and richly imagined, Laura Lamont’s Life in Pictures is as intimate—and as bigger-than-life—as the great films of the golden age of Hollywood. Written with warmth and verve, it confirms Emma Straub’s reputation as one of the most exciting new talents in fiction.
    Melissa
    Writing with Style
    World War 2 Reviews