Page 3 of 584 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading

My Mail is Forwarded Here carebear's Avatar
    New World Coming: The 1920's and the Making of Modern America

Very interesting so far, nice overview of social movements and politics with some society-type details of celebrities of the day.

Some amazing parallels to today, history being cyclical and all.

If you like history with a true story to frame it I can recommend "Close to Shore" which not only covers the Matewan Creek shark attacks in detail but also gives the social context. (anyone know why so many people were on the Jersey beaches in 1917?)

I also enjoyed "The Devil in the White City". It's nominally about a serial killer in Chicago at the time of the World's Fair in 1893 but the whole country and its movements manage to make an appearance. A bit before the "Fedora" era but still intriguing.
    Matthew Carberry

Colbert: “While skin and race are often synonymous, skin cleansing is good, race cleansing is bad.”

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Smile Current Reading List

'Postmodern Theory,' by Steven Best and Douglas Kellner;
    and James Joyce's 'Ulysses.'
    I reluctantly admit to finding these inside my apartment
    building laundry room, since I'm too lazy and shiftless to
    visit the Chicago Public Library.

Quote Originally Posted by carebear
    If you like history with a true story to frame it I can recommend "Close to Shore" which not only covers the Matewan Creek shark attacks in detail but also gives the social context. (anyone know why so many people were on the Jersey beaches in 1917?)

I also enjoyed "The Devil in the White City". It's nominally about a serial killer in Chicago at the time of the World's Fair in 1893 but the whole country and its movements manage to make an appearance. A bit before the "Fedora" era but still intriguing.
    I like your taste in books. I read Close to Shore and have The Devil in the White City on my "to read" list.
    Workwear is the new Black.
    I'm not a bearded logger but play one on the internets

Practically Family Mr_Misanthropy's Avatar
    Well, I just finished "Wicked" by Gregory Macquire, it's the basis for the popular musical. It's basically about the politics behind the "assassination" of the Wicked Witch of the West, and the inner workings of Oz. Very good book. I'm now working on the sequel, "Son of a Witch", about the aftermath. I highly recommend both!!
    "Time spent with cats is never wasted."
    - Sigmund Freud

My Mail is Forwarded Here carebear's Avatar
    I enjoy reading history in general and military history in particular. Even my technical reading is usually from historically contextual books. "Salt", "Longitude", "Search for Schrodinger's Cat", "Against the Gods", anything by Victor Davis Hanson.

If you don't know the historical context of an event or person you can't truly assess "what it all means" accurately.

Now, as far as fiction goes, if it doesn't say "Harlequin" on the spine I'm not touching it.
    Matthew Carberry

Colbert: “While skin and race are often synonymous, skin cleansing is good, race cleansing is bad.”

"A List" Customer
    I wouldn't call myself particularly well-read, but I tend to lean towards the classics. More modern fare that I've enjoyed would be anything by Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchett.

Practically Family
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear
    I enjoy reading history in general and military history in particular. Even my technical reading is usually from historically contextual books. "Salt", "Longitude", "Search for Schrodinger's Cat", "Against the Gods", anything by Victor Davis Hanson.
    I heard "Salt" was actually extremely fascinating...seriously!
    I am reading Anita Loos' memoir about the Talmadge sisters (the silent screen actresses), a book of food-related essays by M.F.K. Fisher, and reading Reading Jazz (compendium of jazz reviews, interviews, criticism, etc. from 1910s to present).
    Like Nero Wolfe, I am not happy unless I have ~3 books going at once

At the moment I'm finishing "George Orwell-An Age Like This 1920-1940" which is vol.1 of 4 that collects his letters,essays,journalism and reviews. Prior to that I read Orwell's account of his time as a militiaman fighting the fascists in the Spanish civil war titled;"Homage to Catalonia". He's one of my favorite writers. Sitting on the shelf next up is the complete short stories of Ernest Hemingway (a writer whom Orwell apparently had a rather poor opinion of...I like "Papa" though.. )
    Being well adjusted to the modern world is not a sign of good health.

I'm reading a couple of things now:

Diagnosis and Remediation of Reading Problems by Dorothy Rubin (aren't you all jealous?)

The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World by Marti Olsen Laney, Psy.D

and Sister Outsider by Audre Lorde
    Smile, what's the use of crying?

Practically Family
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony in Tarzana
    I need to stop messing around on the computer and read more books.
    I feel that way all the time! There are just so many interesting things to read on the computer.

Right now I'm reading Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe books - very fun reads. The mysteries themselves are alright, but it's the characters of Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin that really make the books funny and interesting.