Page 324 of 564 FirstFirst ... 224274314322323324325326334374424 ... LastLast
Results 3,231 to 3,240 of 5631

Thread: What Are You Reading

"The Whisperer In Darkness"

Can't wait for the film, either!

Quote Originally Posted by MissMeraRose
    I just finished Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. I decided I would reread my all time favorite Peter Pan by J.M.Barrie, but I soon realized that I still haven't finished Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking-Glass. haha I am currently a literary mess.
    Barrie and Carroll? You are very welcome, MMR, to this thread!
    Let me dig this solid cat and see what jumps in that wig of his that's causing all the flip on the vine.

Quote Originally Posted by "Skeet" McD
    Immediately after reading Wally's post...I ordered up a copy and used it as my bedtable reading through the immediate penumbra of Christmas. It is truly a wonderful book: and not at ALL the kind of book I would be likely to have picked up, even at a "$1 for all the books you can fit in this bag" event. More loss to me!
    ... I feel I'm better for having read it, and I enjoyed every second of the lesson.

Thank you, Mr. Streeter! Thank you, Wally!

"Skeet"
    You a very, very welcome, Skeet! I was happy to read your post and your delight in the book-
    Let me dig this solid cat and see what jumps in that wig of his that's causing all the flip on the vine.

Quote Originally Posted by WH1
    "Mere Christianity" by CS Lewis

Very interesting work, originally the writings were a series of radio broadcasts he did for the BBC during World War 2.
    I read this in my early spiritual life. A popular, as opposed to scholastic, book. Enjoyed it. You may enjoy Miracles by Lewis if you have the time. Then by all means read The Screwtape Letters.

Originally posted by Harp...

Also, have been nursing a cold with Evan Williams whisky,
    an aged sour mash that stands favorably to Maker's Mark
    at a third the latter's price.
    It ain't that caffeine-free still swil bivouac route march hooch.

Harp, are these the lyrics to an as-yet-unreleased song of yours?

I just finished Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. I decided I would reread my all time favorite Peter Pan by J.M.Barrie, but I soon realized that I still haven't finished Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking-Glass. haha I am currently a literary mess.
    I read Things Fall Apart and actually enjoyed it. (SPOILERS)While its obviously sympathetic to the natives and anti imperialist, it doesn't compromise in showing some of their less admirable practices. The main character is admirable despite this, merely because he refuses to compromise, and like all characters who refuse to compromise, it ruins him. Rare to see tragic heroes in such contexts, but certainly a welcome change.
    Veinte aņos no es nada

Quote Originally Posted by Chad
    Currently reading Shahnameh (The Book of Kings). Brain-eating serpents sprouting out of shoulders? These crazy Persians have me hooked.
    !!! I've been trying to get ahold of this one for awhile, is this an english translation, or an abridged copy, or whatnot? (apologies for the double post.)
    Veinte aņos no es nada

L.A., where your waiter from today will be on casting call tomorrow.
    And I am just starting The Annotated Alice, with notes by Martin Gardner.
    1. John 3:16, 17
    2. Dress to please yourself, but do take others into some consideration.

-Lee

Quote Originally Posted by WH1
    "Mere Christianity" by CS Lewis

Very interesting work, originally the writings were a series of radio broadcasts he did for the BBC during World War 2.
    An excellent little book, I quite enjoyed CS Lewis' musing in "The Four Loves" recently. He covers many thoughts similar to my own, I just didn't know hoe to express them as eloquently.
    Summer Fruit Cup - a blog covering, vintage cocktails, spirit reviews, vintage barbooks and barware and experiments.

Just finished 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and have started The Early History of the Airplane by Wilbur and Orville Wright. I read them on my Blackberry courtesy of Gutenberg.org. Nice to have some reading handy on the go. I'm also reading Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris while at home.