Page 163 of 587 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164165173213263 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,630 of 5862

Thread: What Are You Reading

Practically Family Patrick Murtha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jayem
    Anna Karenina by Tolstoy

Meant to read it for some time, and I'm just finally getting around to it.

Oh geez, Dicken's bores the nonsense out of me. Too much detail!
    Tolstoy isn't detailed?
    "Dude, you look like a bond trader!"

http://patrickmurthasdiary.blogspot.com/

flowers for Algernon

http://smuterella.blogspot.com/

rancorous, coiffeured old sow

Familiar Face
    Le Compte de Monte Cristo I - in french.

Time to Depart, seventh in the Marcus Didius Falco series, a private eye in ancient Rome.
    WTB menswear: W33-36, inseam 34-40.

Metro Stop Dostoevsky by Ingrid Bengis. I'm not much for reading fiction, but non fiction is especially fascinating to me. This book is about the author's stay in Leningrad before/during the coup in Russia (what was that? 1990? 91?). I was in Russia in '93, so a lot of what Bengis writes about I could picture and relate to. She expresses clearly and profoundly how I feel about the country as an American (although she has closer ties, her parents were Russian Jewish immigrants).

A fiction book that I actually finished recently was Broken for You by Stephanie Kallos. It was okay.

I'm trying to go for the classics these days but I choose unwisely. To beef up my Russian I'm trying Crime and Punishment. I'm reading the English with it so I can learn some vocab...but the English is no easier. Blast that Constance Garrett! I'll be procuring the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation in the future. They did a bang up job with Master and Margerita.
    I'm the nicest gorram dame that ever lived.

I am not reading anything spectacular at this point, however, I have been reading about a book that I cannot wait to read. Its called 'The Diving Bell and the Butterfly' by Jean-Dominique Bauby. If you've never heard of it you should check it out. It was written completely with his left eye.

Jean-Dominique Bauby was the editor in chief for Elle magazine in France...he was rich and successful until he had a stroke that left him completely paralyzed except for his left eye. He accepted his fate and would use his immagination to do everything he every wanted to do. A speech expert would call out letters of the alphabet and he would blink when he wanted a letter and she would write it down and the whole book was written like that (app. 200,000 blinks). Two days after the book was published Bauby died. Its a true story of an amazing and insirational man. It was also made into a movie that I will be seeing at my local art gallery in april. The movie got 94% on Rotten Tomatoes which is pretty amazing for any movie. It also won best director at Canne Film festival.

Check out the book or the movie. (the movie is in french by the way).
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." --James Dean.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Murtha
    Tolstoy isn't detailed?
    Oh, he is, but about details that matter. He won't take up a page describing the color of the sky a la Dickens. Getting through Hard Times was certainly just as the title says... for me.

Practically Family Patrick Murtha's Avatar
    Oh, he is, but about details that matter. He won't take up a page describing the color of the sky a la Dickens. Getting through Hard Times was certainly just as the title says... for me.
    And Hard Times is, by a very wide margin, Dickens at his most concise, so you should avoid the rest at all costs!
    "Dude, you look like a bond trader!"

http://patrickmurthasdiary.blogspot.com/

My Mail is Forwarded Here Dr Doran's Avatar
    Jayem, I agree with you.
    1. Use evidence to rule out illegitimate claims. 2. A sensation of conviction does not legitimize a claim.

"A List" Customer
    Georgette Heyer's novels.