Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Q for ladies who shampoo less than daily

"A List" Customer MissNathalieVintage's Avatar
    My hair is medium thick and takes almost two days to dry. I tend to use a lot of hairspray to set my hair. When I brush out my set it ends up looking dusty and coarse. I learned in order to fix this is to wash out my hair with water on my no-poo days. I do not like to have to do this since that would mean I have no choice but to blow dry my hair in order to re-set it. My scalp ends up becoming so dry, tight, and itchy. For now I use less hairspray and double up on pomade I use the Got 2 be brand it comes in a silver, yellow, and purple package plus the product is white inside. And I have not used a setting lotion instead I have a small spray bottle of just water. I spritz each section of my hair lightly and with a fine tooth comb. Comb the water through my hair to distribute the water evenly and re-set my hair. When I do this my hair comes out fantastic!
    I also found two wonderful no-poo how to articles. http://natural-forces.com/essays/poofree.htm
    I have completely given up shampoo for good. I am still using a leave in spray on conditioner. Once I run out it I am going to start using the apple cider vinegar rinse. Here is the second article this is the no-poo I am going to use from now on. I keep it in the same bottle it came in but I add 4 drops of tea tree oil and shake to mi,x since I have oily hair. Best thing ever! http://www.veganbeautyreview.com/201...nditioner.html
    Last edited by MissNathalieVintage; 01-10-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    ...Kept by the power of God-1 Peter 1:5

One of the Regulars VintageBaroness's Avatar
    I have an early 30s hairstyle but flyaway hair the first few days after shampooing, so I tend not to wash more than 1-2 times a week, as I want my hair to lay flatter against my head. I spritz flexible hold hairspray into my hair, and while still wet, I scrunch the sides to activate my natural wave pattern (which, lucky for lazy little me, is Marcel-wave-esque). If my roots start feeling oily before "wash day," I use hair powder. If you don't like how baby powder, corn starch, or some other powders turn dark hair ashy, you can buy expensive tinted hair powders from Bumble + Bumble. I use Lulu Organics's hair powder "for hair on days of unwash" http://luluorganicsnyc.com/hairpowder.html It has a great Art Nouveau image on the container, too. As binglish prof notes of corn starch, I find the powder helps reduce flaking of scalp and product buildup of certain kinds.
    Blog: "Tea with the Vintage Baroness"

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming"--Myrna Loy

"A List" Customer
    Quote Originally Posted by MissNathalieVintage View Post
    I noticed my scalp has such product build up. And when I brush out my set to re-set the hair products I used end up making my hair look like I have a bad case of dandruff. I switched to a lighter weight hairspray and it seems to help a little bit.

What do some of you do about product build up after a set brush out?
    I used to go five or six days without washing and would still have fantastic curls, until I noticed- like you - that it looked like I had dandruff, when in fact it was just a build up of setting lotion that had flaked. I was horrified, especially seeing as anyone looking at my roots wouldn't have known that it wasn't dandruff, and I'd been walking round for months like that!

In answer to your question, my solution was just to sacrifice a few days of my set and wash earlier, and/or use less product, and always brush thoroughly. My perm solved a lot of my setting-related worries too, though I wouldn't suggest that as a solution!

Also, not to detract from what works for you, but have you tried a different kind of styling product? Personally I feel like hairspray does more to make my hair lank and greasy, and give it that 'coated' feeling, than any other product I've tried, (maybe other than mousse). Have you tried proper setting lotion, diluted or otherwise? Or a gel spray?

One of the Regulars Retro_GI_Jane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MissNathalieVintage View Post
    I noticed my scalp has such product build up. And when I brush out my set to re-set the hair products I used end up making my hair look like I have a bad case of dandruff. I switched to a lighter weight hairspray and it seems to help a little bit.

What do some of you do about product build up after a set brush out?
    I use AquaNet for hairspray and I notice a flakiness only if I am heavy handed with it on my roots or don't let it dry before spraying some more. I'm still learning how to use cornstarch in between washings, so I also notice a dandruff like effect if I sprinkle too much and don't brush it out enough. A good brushing out the night before resetting seems to help me when it comes to loosening up any product from earlier in the day.

I've been shampooing my hair about 2 times a week for the last few months, and it has significantly improved my hair. Like all those "no-poo" articles say, shampoo seemed to strip my hair of oil which just made my already oil-prone hair even oiler! So last night I tried for the first time to wash it with baking soda and then rinsing with lemon juice (I didn't have the apple vinegar that the various websites will tell you to use, and I mixed them both with water) and my hair felt very soft and clean afterwords. I also just shake through some baby powder when it starts to look a tad greasy and that really seems to help mop up any oilys.
    "I advocate glamour. Every day. Every minute." -Dita Von Teese

One of the Regulars therizyflapper's Avatar
    i don't use any shampoo, i wash my hair every 3-4 day with 1TBSP baking soda to 1 cup water and my conditioner is 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar to 1 cup water it works awesome then i put my hair up in pin curls and put on a cute scarf, then when i go out that night i just take just the pin curls and and brush it out and i don't use hairspray or hair gel ( my hair holds a curl wonderful without product for days) but if i feel i need product i make my hair gel our of aloe and Agar Agar

New In Town
    Even if I cleaned and pin-curled my locks at 4 PM, it would still be quite soaked in the day. Also, I would have to do mid-day tasks, etc. with my locks in a set. How do you all get your locks to dry? And what do you do if you have to go out and it's set.

New In Town
    I hardly "wash" my hair, having both red and naturally curly hair, sulfates are my greatest enemy!

I use s sulfate free and avoid silicones. I wash about two times a week (unless something special comes up that warrants a full wash and set). In between washes, I use cornstarch and then set my pin curls again, holds just fine.

Once a month I do a bi carb soda rinse to sort out any build up.

New In Town
    Quote Originally Posted by CH Sherr View Post
    Even if I cleaned and pin-curled my locks at 4 PM, it would still be quite soaked in the day. Also, I would have to do mid-day tasks, etc. with my locks in a set. How do you all get your locks to dry? And what do you do if you have to go out and it's set.
    My hair was horrible when I did a wet set! I don't know if it was the natural curl, but it came out all frizzy and limp.

I wash and then Velcro roller set my hair at night. Let it dry and brush it out and put pin curls in before bed. All done for the morning

I haven't master victory rolls yet, so I wear my hair pulled up and held in place with combs that give a sort of victory roll look. It's held in place with hairspray and sometimes a bit of pomade. At night, I either rinse the product out and set pin curls or brush it out and pin it up. Once a week, I use shampoo. It took about a month for my hair to adjust, but it's much healthier and the rinsing keeps the oil at bay.
    "Kids today, with their crazy music and automatic weapons." - Dick Stein

http://tenukihandcrafts.wordpress.com/

tenukihandcrafts on Ravelry