Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Q for ladies who shampoo less than daily

Q for ladies who shampoo less than daily

Hi all-- I'm new to the lounge, but admittedly have been lurking for some time. I would like to shampoo less frequently (to give my locks a break!) and was wondering what kind of "routine" some of you follow for insight. I've been playing around with some new routines-- if I do a hotstick set on my non-shampoo day, it takes a curl nicely and sets well, but then I wonder if the heat of the curlers might just as well be as damaging as shampooing in the first place.

Thanks for any insight you may offer.

Honey Doll of Honeoye Falls,NY

I wash and condition my hair about every three days (lately I have been using a sulfate free shampoo with good results), and I set it each evening with sponge rollers, rag curlers, or the new foam rollers I recently picked up. I do touch up with Hot Sticks as needed. Generally, I roll my hair in double reverse rolls and will smooth them out or re-roll them in the mornings if needed. I sometimes wear my hair in a Betty Grable updo and find that it will last 2-3 days with minimal smoothing or touch-ups; I just spray it with a firm hold hair spray to combat flyaways.

I use Aussie shampoo and Sheer Blonde conditioner about every three days. I add a little baking soda to the shampoo to help get out the goop I put in my hair to style it.

There is also dry shampoo on the market, but I've never tried it.

I add a little baking soda to the shampoo to help get out the goop I put in my hair to style it.
    I occasionally do a baking soda and vinegar pre-treatment before I shampoo. It's a great way to get the styling gunk out of your hair.

Generally I shampoo every other or every third day, depending on my schedule, using a humectant shampoo and conditioner -- I do it in the evening, and soak up the excess water in a towel for about half an hour before doing a pincurl set.

On days when I don't shampoo, I pincurl in the evening and spritz the curls with Lottabody from a spray bottle to set them.

I've experimented with a lot of different hairsprays, and these days use a flexible hold volumizing spray. I usually wear it in reverse rolls at the front and sides, and loose in the back -- and I spray the rolls fairly heavily with just a sprtiz in the rear.

In cool weather I can go up to four days if I have to without washing my hair before the styling product buildup gets to be a bit much, but in hot, humid conditions every other day is a must.

I avoid using any kind of blow dryers or high-heat devices -- they turn my hair to straw. If I have to use a dryer, I have an old bonnet model that does a very gentle drying job.
    The humblest citizen in all the land, when clad in the armor of a righteous cause, is stronger than all the hosts of error. -- William Jennings Bryan

Call Me a Cab
    My hair tends to keep it's curl pretty darn well so the first day I'll have it down, the second day might have it down or in a barette, I wash and shampoo and condition usually on the second day.

One of the Regulars
    I wash and condition every other day. Lately I have been using the Wash-n-Curl shampoo, I pin curl my just washed hair after I put my setting lotion in. It will keep looking good until the next washing.

I just bought some Hot Sticks, since they got such a good recommendation here at the Lounge , but I haven't tried them yet. I will probably use them just for touch ups.

I'm quite scandalous with my hair. I usually wash it once a week. My hair is part afro and part scottish hair, so it's very dry.

I don't really use much product other than an anti-frizz solution and some leave in conditioner.

So, if you pin-curl your hair at night, how does it dry by morning??? Even if I washed and pin-curled my hair at 4 PM, it would still be quite damp in the morning. Also, I would have to do afternoon errands, etc. with my hair in a set. How do you all get your hair to dry? And what do you do if you have to go out and it's set?

Practically Family
    Quote Originally Posted by Etienne
    So, if you pin-curl your hair at night, how does it dry by morning??? Even if I washed and pin-curled my hair at 4 PM, it would still be quite damp in the morning. Also, I would have to do afternoon errands, etc. with my hair in a set. How do you all get your hair to dry? And what do you do if you have to go out and it's set?
    Is your hair very long and thick? I noticed my hair seems to take longer to dry in pincurls than in rollers (I guess because the roller formation allows more air to circulate and the strands are more spread out). Maybe try damp not wet hair when putting in the pincurls, or try rollers? (I have a neck-length middy cut and can put wet hair in rollers at 11 PM and have dry hair at 7 AM)...
    A nice scarf wil cover the pincurls fine..

EDIT: Oops! To answer the original question, my latest routine is put freshly washed hair in sponge rollers, have curly hair day 1, wear a hairnet to bed and wear brushed-out waves day 2, and then either reset it that night or wash it, depending.