Thread: Pet Stains

Pet Stains

I recently purchased a gorgeous vintage down and rayon satin comforterĶonly to come home one day to a kitty accident on it. Luckily there is no staining, but the smell is terribleĶI have a great product Ive used in the past (Natures Miracle), but it is mostly isopropyl alcohol and Im terrified it will destroy the satin (or the down). The same company also makes a laundry detergent, which I have used in the past (though the alcohol stuff works better)ĶI know the cleaner will say they could get a stain out but not the odor.

So, what should I do? Soak the spot with the alcohol treatment? Try soaking the entire quilt in a soapy tub using the special detergent?

The stain is on the older side, maybe 2 weeks, because Ive been hemming and hawing over what the heck I should do about it. Advice, warnings, and moral support are welcome!

Id put it in a plastic sealed container covered in baking soda for a few days. Check it to see about the smell, and replace the soda as needed.

LD

My Mail is Forwarded Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Day
    Id put it in a plastic sealed container covered in baking soda for a few days. Check it to see about the smell, and replace the soda as needed.

LD
    I would do the same thing. Or, instead of baking soda, you could use clumping kitty litter with baking soda in it. This works for various odors, not just kitty accidents. Hmf, if they weren't so darn cute, cuddly and furry!

So just cover the comforter with dry baking soda? My concern is that I'm not actually *cleaning* the comforter, especially the feathers inside (eeew)...

Seriously, cats and vintage are sometimes just a bad combo.

Soda (dry) will do nothing to the comforter. It will nutralize the odor and the feathers will be fine, heck maybe even better, smell wise at least

LD

Awesome. I will give it a whirl!

Now...where on earth can I get that much baking soda?? Smart and Final here I come!

I used to wash kitty accidents in vinegar. I am not sure how that would fair with vintage satin, but it's an option.
    For what it's worth, I've loved you since Tuesday.
    http://vintagestarlet.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MissQueenie
    Seriously, cats and vintage are sometimes just a bad combo.
    Tell me about it!

Definitely try the baking soda trick.

My Mail is Forwarded Here Twitch's Avatar
    Nature's Miracle does work great on places like carpets though folks. Anyone with indoor pets can benefit from it. Good stuff!
    Howard Hughes 1905-1976
    "He is the last private man, the dream we no longer admit." -Joan Didion