Page 295 of 299 FirstFirst ... 195245285293294295296297 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,950 of 2985

Thread: The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Well said, Jack. I'm no archaeologist, but just in more conventional travels, I've noticed a world of difference in how I'm treated between "rumpled" and "freshly pressed/tucked-in/polished", even with the same exact wardrobe. The latter goes a long way with airport security... I've even had a couple times over the years where some TSA folks standing around behind the checkpoint offered to help me reassemble my laptop-case, so it DOES pay to look and conduct yourself as "Professional".
    All the more so on high security routes. Back at the turn of the century when I was first travelling between London and Belfast regularly, I noticed a world of difference in the treatment I got from security at both ends (but especially in Belfast) when I wore a suit as opposed to a leather jacket and jeans.
    If in doubt - overdress.

Vivienne Westwood

Here an image of the Gränsfors Bruks wildlife axe / hatchet:

More images (if you are interested) you can find here

My Mail is Forwarded Here DanielJones's Avatar
    I know this may have been discussed here but I thought I'd try and jog some memories and see what comes up. After watching The Ghost & The Darkness the other day I was wondering what coat Val Kilmer was wearing in the beginning when he first arrived.

Basically this takes place in 1898 & I was wondering what pattern of Officers Frock he is wearing. Is it something that there are reproductions of anywhere? Is there any reference materials that would point the way to what pattern of frock it is? It doesn't show it well in the above picture but it does have the bellows pockets on the skirt of the coat. Any leads would be helpful. Thanks.

Cheers!

Dan
    "If you believe everything you read, better not read." - Japanese Proverb

One Too Many
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielJones View Post
    Basically this takes place in 1898 & I was wondering what pattern of Officers Frock he is wearing. Is it something that there are reproductions of anywhere? Is there any reference materials that would point the way to what pattern of frock it is? It doesn't show it well in the above picture but it does have the bellows pockets on the skirt of the coat. Any leads would be helpful. Thanks.
    Not sure about reproductions. WPG has a number of British drill uniform components (and the Sam Browne belt) but I haven't seen the earlier-model uniforms sold by them.

This site is a decent reference:
    http://www.militarysunhelmets.com/20...rica-1899-1902

My Mail is Forwarded Here DanielJones's Avatar
    Yes and the one that looks the closest is the Grenadiers Frock.

But they don't specify what pattern it is. Possibly Tropical Service Uniform, 1898? I know the ones for Officers were most likely Private Purchase which will make them vary in look as well.

Cheers!

Dan
    "If you believe everything you read, better not read." - Japanese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Tourbillion View Post
    Here's some inspiration for you guys from the old family photo files. What I wouldn't give for my great-aunties jodhpurs...

I loveee looking at old photos of my grandparents and family. Your aunties pants are soo nice! wish i had a pair for men
    "THE ADVERSARY OF THE SYSTEM IS THE INDIVIDUAL," STEVE MCQUEEN

One Too Many
    It's not the 19th century British tunic, but the similar U.S. 1906 pattern cotton tunic is now carried by WPG.

http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=5109

Looking good on you!

One Too Many
    ain't me
    Last edited by Mike K.; 06-17-2012 at 06:04 PM.

It doesn't look like these folks have updated their websites in a while, but contacting them might prove fruitful. Just two of the places I've run across with 19th Cent. Brit gear.

http://www.regimental-quartermaster.com/officers.html

http://www.webring.org/l/rd?ring=vic...%2Findex1.html (click on the image)

JPH