Page 1 of 160 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Our own vintage town

Familiar Face

Our own vintage town

It has been mentioned in other threads and so I thought that it would be fun to try to work out some of the logistics of creating and maintaining our very own "Golden Era" town. Suppose that we assume that we already have the town and structures. What next?

How many essential jobs would have to be performed?

What sort of economic system would work best?

What kinds of rules would we need?

"A List" Customer DancingSweetie's Avatar
    If I participated I would work for the town dentist as his assistant and running the front desk. Maybe Daisy would be our hygienist. Of course someone here would have to be a dentist.

One of the Regulars G. Fink-Nottle's Avatar
    I'd like to be the town Water Commissioner just like Throckmorton P. Gildersleeve.

We'd need a police department, a fire department, garbagemen and a school system.

A drug store/soda fountain would also be nice. I'd also like to see an independent department store.
    "Character is much easier kept than recovered." -
    Thomas Paine

I'll work at the radio station.
    That which does not kill me makes me stronger.
    - Nietsche

Nietsche is dead.
    - Roger McCarthy

KWD Radio

I think the ideal form of government would be patterned after the New England town meeting system. Many communities up here still follow this model -- a part-time Board of Selectmen is elected to formulate policy, sometimes with a hired Town Manager as a fulltime administrator, and once each year, the Board prepares a warrant containing, line by line, the town budget and any controversial matters needed attention. The entire voting population of the town then assembles in a school gym, a lodge hall, a rec center, or some such public building, and votes on the warrant line by line and item by item. These meetings often take the better part of a day, and every registered voter has the chance speak his or her piece from the floor on any matter under consideration.

The Selectmen -- serving as the executive branch of the government -- are totally responsible to the townspeople, who act collectively as the legislative branch.

I grew up with this system, and to this day I think it's the purest form of democracy that exists in the United States. And where it's still in use, it still works.

Oh, and I'll work at the radio station too. And the movie theatre.
    The humblest citizen in all the land, when clad in the armor of a righteous cause, is stronger than all the hosts of error. -- William Jennings Bryan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
    Quote Originally Posted by DancingSweetie
    If I participated I would work for the town dentist as his assistant and running the front desk. Maybe Daisy would be our hygienist. Of course someone here would have to be a dentist.
    Hey that's a great idea!!! You seem like a great lady to work with, and with the two of us taking care of "Our Little Town", everyone would have the cleanest, healthiest teeth. Very important for overall health of our neighbors.
    Of course, I would want to run the candy store during my free time

My Mail is Forwarded Here Tony in Tarzana's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LizzieMaine
    Work at them? Trust me, you'll be running 'em.
    Talk to the hat, pal.

"A List" Customer DancingSweetie's Avatar
    We would need a dry cleaner, a tailor, a butcher, bakery, an undertaker, a doctor and nurse, hardware store, mailman....... there would have to be a nightclub, a couple of restaurants besides the soda fountain......

I nominate Wild Root as mayor.

My Mail is Forwarded Here carebear's Avatar
    A jeweler and watch repair. Gunstore / smith / range. Tailors, hatters and a leatherworker / shoemaker. Shoeshine boy. Pool hall (WITH a capital "P" that rhymes with "T" ). A garage and gas station. Butcher / grocer. Telegram office. Telephone switchboard. Bank.

The economic system would depend on the size, barter only works efficiently on a real small scale. I'd recommend a gold or silver standard currency rather than fiat money in any event.
    Matthew Carberry

Colbert: “While skin and race are often synonymous, skin cleansing is good, race cleansing is bad.”

My Mail is Forwarded Here Mike in Seattle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LizzieMaine
    I think the ideal form of government would be patterned after the New England town meeting system. Many communities up here still follow this model -- a part-time Board of Selectmen is elected to formulate policy, sometimes with a hired Town Manager as a fulltime administrator, and once each year, the Board prepares a warrant containing, line by line, the town budget and any controversial matters needed attention. The entire voting population of the town then assembles in a school gym, a lodge hall, a rec center, or some such public building, and votes on the warrant line by line and item by item. These meetings often take the better part of a day, and every registered voter has the chance speak his or her piece from the floor on any matter under consideration.

The Selectmen -- serving as the executive branch of the government -- are totally responsible to the townspeople, who act collectively as the legislative branch.

I grew up with this system, and to this day I think it's the purest form of democracy that exists in the United States. And where it's still in use, it still works.

It Happened to Jane is one movie where they depicted pretty much what you describe. Anyone who hasn't seen the movie should. It's a hoot!