Thread: Reproduction classic workwear

My Mail is Forwarded Here flat-top's Avatar
    "The future isn't what it used to be."~~Louis Cyphre

my feelings on the Wasted (twice) look book:
    http://horribleoldman.blogspot.com/2...look-book.html

Quote Originally Posted by Alexi
    my feelings on the Wasted (twice) look book:
    http://horribleoldman.blogspot.com/2...look-book.html

That shawl collar Mackinaw pea coat is killer, but about $550? Sheesh...

Near the World's Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum
    Quote Originally Posted by mattfink

Which sort of defeats the title of this thread in the first place. It might be classic but who the heck is going to work in a $550 coat?!
    This looks to be more like expensive poser wear.
    People think they are so rebellious and original, when really they are just banal, boring and dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by jamespowers
    Which sort of defeats the title of this thread in the first place. It might be classic but who the heck is going to work in a $550 coat?!
    This looks to be more like expensive poser wear.

Hmmm, not sure I can agree with you on the point of really using this stuff for work. Most newer work wear looks like dire shit and you wouldn't want to wear it for anything but work to begin with. I don't see anyone on here running out to buy used Cintas uniforms!!!

I understand the Japanese are trying to satisfy a niche market while protecting the value of the original vintage items in the process. However, when you get brands like RRL selling items made in China that might have cost $30 to make but retail in the hundreds, it's plain silly.

Hmmm, not sure I can agree with you on the point of really using this stuff for work. Most newer work wear looks like dire shit and you wouldn't want to wear it for anything but work to begin with. I don't see anyone on here running out to buy used Cintas uniforms!!!

I understand the Japanese are trying to satisfy a niche market while protecting the value of the original vintage items in the process. However, when you get brands like RRL selling items made in China that might have cost $30 to make but retail in the hundreds, it's plain silly.
    You can get a decent work look---much like the pictures posted earlier of railway workers---for less than the price of that one jacket. We aren't talking Ben Davis here. Jeans are cheap. Denium work clothes are easy to knock together. Blue collar shirts are easy to find cheaply.
    This stuff is poser wear in which people have taken on the mantle of workwear for everyday wear. If that's what they want then it certainly shouldn't be called workwear. Everyday people back then never wore workwear as everyday wear. When they came home that stuff came off.
    People think they are so rebellious and original, when really they are just banal, boring and dumb.

Before we rush down the road of condemning pricing structures (and we must take a high profit margin as a given, since we're talking about the garment industry), we need to know how much it actually costs to make 'workwear' to standards that might have been expected in the past. I'm guessing more than most FLers are willing to pay.

Not that I've any ax(e) to grind, but why shouldn't Dockers use the current workwear bandwagon to make money, like many of the other old brands already do? And if the product's good quality, let's accept that it'll cost more than the usual. If their 'premium' product doesn't come up to scratch, that's a different story.

I don't understand the current crop of FL complaints about how much certain new garments cost. Is it because workwear was once cheap and isn't any longer? Is it because cheap goods are being sold dear? Or are we cannier consumers than the rest and can see through the marketing? In which case, why do we give a damn?

Scandinavia- location, location, location
    Thank you for being sensible.

We must also take into account, that he just does not get it.

B
    T
    Looking with my good ear peeled.

I like the coat, but it's not workwear, nor sportingwear the cut is far too tight to move in. It's funny 'cause most of my filson stuff is cut too big, this stuff is cut to narrow... can't someone get it right?

Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Past
    I don't understand the current crop of FL complaints about how much certain new garments cost. Is it because workwear was once cheap and isn't any longer? Is it because cheap goods are being sold dear? Or are we cannier consumers than the rest and can see through the marketing? In which case, why do we give a damn?
    Workwear still is cheap as far as I am concerned. Its just this stuff that isn't. I will believe it is as well constructed as workwear in the past when I see it. So many have fallen short even if it is priced ridiculously.
    There is certainly a marketing blitz making it seem like we are going back to 1937 and getting this same stuff off the rack today. That is just not happening. I resent being lied to quite simply.