Page 53 of 272 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 2712

Thread: Reproduction classic workwear

  1. #521
    My Mail is Forwarded Here flat-top's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Palookaville, NY
    Posts
    3,730
    "The future isn't what it used to be."~~Louis Cyphre

  2. #522
    One of the Regulars Alexi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    200
    my feelings on the Wasted (twice) look book:
    http://horribleoldman.blogspot.com/2...look-book.html

  3. #523
    Practically Family mattfink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexi
    my feelings on the Wasted (twice) look book:
    http://horribleoldman.blogspot.com/2...look-book.html

    That shawl collar Mackinaw pea coat is killer, but about $550? Sheesh...

  4. #524
    Bartender jamespowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Near the World's Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum
    Posts
    45,584
    Quote Originally Posted by mattfink
    That shawl collar Mackinaw pea coat is killer, but about $550? Sheesh...

    Which sort of defeats the title of this thread in the first place. It might be classic but who the heck is going to work in a $550 coat?!
    This looks to be more like expensive poser wear.
    People think they are so rebellious and original, when really they are just banal, boring and dumb.

  5. #525
    Practically Family mattfink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespowers
    Which sort of defeats the title of this thread in the first place. It might be classic but who the heck is going to work in a $550 coat?!
    This looks to be more like expensive poser wear.

    Hmmm, not sure I can agree with you on the point of really using this stuff for work. Most newer work wear looks like dire shit and you wouldn't want to wear it for anything but work to begin with. I don't see anyone on here running out to buy used Cintas uniforms!!!

    I understand the Japanese are trying to satisfy a niche market while protecting the value of the original vintage items in the process. However, when you get brands like RRL selling items made in China that might have cost $30 to make but retail in the hundreds, it's plain silly.

  6. #526
    Bartender jamespowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Near the World's Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum
    Posts
    45,584
    Quote Originally Posted by mattfink
    Hmmm, not sure I can agree with you on the point of really using this stuff for work. Most newer work wear looks like dire shit and you wouldn't want to wear it for anything but work to begin with. I don't see anyone on here running out to buy used Cintas uniforms!!!

    I understand the Japanese are trying to satisfy a niche market while protecting the value of the original vintage items in the process. However, when you get brands like RRL selling items made in China that might have cost $30 to make but retail in the hundreds, it's plain silly.
    You can get a decent work look---much like the pictures posted earlier of railway workers---for less than the price of that one jacket. We aren't talking Ben Davis here. Jeans are cheap. Denium work clothes are easy to knock together. Blue collar shirts are easy to find cheaply.
    This stuff is poser wear in which people have taken on the mantle of workwear for everyday wear. If that's what they want then it certainly shouldn't be called workwear. Everyday people back then never wore workwear as everyday wear. When they came home that stuff came off.
    People think they are so rebellious and original, when really they are just banal, boring and dumb.

  7. #527
    One Too Many Creeping Past's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,567
    Before we rush down the road of condemning pricing structures (and we must take a high profit margin as a given, since we're talking about the garment industry), we need to know how much it actually costs to make 'workwear' to standards that might have been expected in the past. I'm guessing more than most FLers are willing to pay.

    Not that I've any ax(e) to grind, but why shouldn't Dockers use the current workwear bandwagon to make money, like many of the other old brands already do? And if the product's good quality, let's accept that it'll cost more than the usual. If their 'premium' product doesn't come up to scratch, that's a different story.

    I don't understand the current crop of FL complaints about how much certain new garments cost. Is it because workwear was once cheap and isn't any longer? Is it because cheap goods are being sold dear? Or are we cannier consumers than the rest and can see through the marketing? In which case, why do we give a damn?

  8. #528
    I'll Lock Up BellyTank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Scandinavia- location, location, location
    Posts
    7,071
    Thank you for being sensible.

    We must also take into account, that he just does not get it.


    B
    T
    Looking with my good ear peeled.

  9. #529
    One of the Regulars Alexi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by mattfink
    That shawl collar Mackinaw pea coat is killer, but about $550? Sheesh...

    I like the coat, but it's not workwear, nor sportingwear the cut is far too tight to move in. It's funny 'cause most of my filson stuff is cut too big, this stuff is cut to narrow... can't someone get it right?

  10. #530
    Bartender jamespowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Near the World's Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum
    Posts
    45,584
    Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Past
    I don't understand the current crop of FL complaints about how much certain new garments cost. Is it because workwear was once cheap and isn't any longer? Is it because cheap goods are being sold dear? Or are we cannier consumers than the rest and can see through the marketing? In which case, why do we give a damn?
    Workwear still is cheap as far as I am concerned. Its just this stuff that isn't. I will believe it is as well constructed as workwear in the past when I see it. So many have fallen short even if it is priced ridiculously.
    There is certainly a marketing blitz making it seem like we are going back to 1937 and getting this same stuff off the rack today. That is just not happening. I resent being lied to quite simply.
    People think they are so rebellious and original, when really they are just banal, boring and dumb.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •