Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Stroller - Morning Dress only?

Just a trivia point, but in addition to the old tradition of floor walkers searing strollers/black lounge, some venerable restaurants in India (ie those that existed before independence) the host/maitre d' will wear a stroller and stripped trousers combination (minus waistcoat given the temperature). So I imagine this must have been somewhat common in the rest of the Empire/Commonwealth in the 1930s-50s.
    "His modest resources meant that he could dress no more than reasonably well, but he did so with a kind of faded elegance that ignored the dictates of fashion... the overall effect was of someone frozen in time, indifferent to the new fashions of the agitated age he was living through. The truth is that he took pleasure in this, for obscure reasons that perhaps even he could not have explained."
    -Arturo Perez-Reverte

As promised, my stroller inspired ensemble. Many thanks to Sproily and others for their sartorial inspiration! What I find interesting with this getup upon looking it over, is that in a sense it's a reversal of pattern from the standard stroller; I have stripes on top, solid bottom, while the traditional stroller is solid jacket, striped trousers:

Another shot displaying the waistcoat that is a bit hard to see with the jacket buttoned
    http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9912/gtsig.jpg
    “Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”

In case anyone is interested in a really nice black three piece stroller suit in a large size I've just posted one in the classified.

"His modest resources meant that he could dress no more than reasonably well, but he did so with a kind of faded elegance that ignored the dictates of fashion... the overall effect was of someone frozen in time, indifferent to the new fashions of the agitated age he was living through. The truth is that he took pleasure in this, for obscure reasons that perhaps even he could not have explained."
    -Arturo Perez-Reverte