Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bridal Hair help--don't look skillbilly

Bridal Hair help--don't look skillbilly

Ladies,

I need your best bridal help here.

I am getting married in November and found an amazing vintage dress from 1938 on eBay that I plan on wearing. $160 for this gorgeous crepe-back satin silk dress. I'm having the puffy sleeves altered to be less puffy, but I'd like to do something vintage with my hair.

Kim Long from the WAK shack is going to style it because I adore her fingerwaving skills. But I'm not sure fingerwaving will match this dress. Also I'm kinda afraid fingerwaves will make my head look small (am I crazy? I don't know why...)

My goal is not necessarily vintage to the exact period--I just want to look timeless. And of course beautiful.

And shoo-Skillbilly. You'll see it November 18th.

Oh and forgive the dorky smile. And as you can see--I need hair help indeed!

One of the Regulars artdecodame's Avatar
    What a lovely gown!! Maybe a style like Myrna's here would look good with it?

or

One of the Regulars
    Nice dress!

I can see why you'd be afraid that a tight fingerwave would make your head look smaller with that style of dress, but something too fluffy might be too much.

I think the photos artdecodame posted would be perfect. A little poof but nothing too big.

Fabulous Dress!!!!!

What a beautiful bride you will be in that knock-out dress!

The first thing that came to my mind was a french roll at the back.... I think that would be lovely... and then something with height in the front, maybe a side part and rolls?

Honey Doll

Love the Myrna pictures! Here's a couple other ideas, not sure if your hair in long or short?

Banned
    Wowsers
    What a gorgeous dress. Have you decided on a bouquet?

oh you're going to be such a beautify bride. I agree nothing too poofy...I would say something sculpted and wavy....i love the ideas that have already been suggested too....
    Sometimes the mind, for reasons we don't necessarily understand, just decides to go to the store for a quart of milk.

Wow! These are great ideas ladies! Thanks so much for this.

The Myrna Loy one is particularly good! And I was also tossing aroung the Gwen Stephanie one--seemed a bit more relaxed than normal tight finger waves. I just don't want to look like a pin head!

Flowers are tough--but I think we are going with calla lillies.

Oh and my hair is shoulder length.

Oh--I really like that Lauren Hutton one in particular. That's gorgeous!

That is a lovely, elegant dress I would avoid anything too severe or too overdone, in order to avoid competing with or distracting from its wonderfully feminine silhouette (and of course, the beautiful bride herself.)

Why not incorporate loose finger waves into a slightly fuller 40s style, like so:

It might be nice to wear your hair softly waved, and perhaps pinned back with combs (on both sides or just one) to prevent too much poof:

Or, wear your hair loosely waved at the crown, forming soft curls towards the bottom:

A vertical finger wave might work as well, if you would like to add a bit of height to your face:

Calla lilies would be a lovely compliment, I think. Have you considered carrying an arm (Bernhardt) bouquet? I have a 1940s Vogue wedding flowers booklet, and there are several examples of this bouquet with calla lilies