Advertisements
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: the *stigma* with wearing red lipstick

Advertisements
    The best lipstick i have ever had was Mary Kay's Paprika, it is such a great colour, not too bright so great for both night and day and it hasn't got that nasty 'waxy' smell that some cheap lipsticks have! But it has been discontinued!!!!!!! ARGH!!

Also if any of you have ever watched the tv programme Goodnight Sweetheart (gotta love her outfits in that!) you will see that she rarley wears bright, bright red but more paler colour in the day, and sometime even wears a purpley shade to match a outfit!

In any case, as mentioned in other threads, be sure to wear the red that suits your skin tones, not just any red. There are yellow-base reds and blue-base reds. Depending on your skin tone, one will suit you, and the other will only end up garish.
    It may be that you are wearing the wrong tone for you, which is why your mother made the comment.

There are several ways to check the undertone of your skin, whether you are yellow based or blue based. One is, do you look better in a camel sweater/blouse/scarf around your neck, or does a clear gray one brings out a healthy color in you? Which color is the vein on your inner wrist-- greenish or blueish? Camel/greenish, you're yellow based: gray/bluish, you're blue based.

Once you find the right red for you, you should be able to receive favorable comments from your family and friends.
    "Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down."
    My Mother's Kimonos
    My Kimono Story

New In Town
    Maisie, Mary Kay did discontinue Paprika. Have you tried Red Salsa? It's a lovely color, as well. If you want a sample, I could send you one.

~Shanna
    "Well behaved women rarely make history" ~Marilyn Monroe

"A List" Customer
    Red is very fashionable right now. Dita von Teese, Christina Aguileira, and all the vintagified New York hipsters brought it back, and now Vogue is insisting that confident women wear it all the time.

That said, it does get noticed. When I leave for work in the morning without mine (I wear Besame Red), the guys at each of the buildings I pass ask where it went. It's not for the shy these days.

New In Town
    I wear red occasionally. I'm a redhead so I have issues figuring out what colors work with me....I'm going to go to sephora sometime and just find the PERFECT shade for me and stick with it.

I don't get much stigma, but when I wear it it seems to complete the look and if I am dressed vintage I look -that- much more vintage-y and people notice that.

I have yet to recieve negative comments about it from people.

I agree with Andy Rooney: women don't look very good in red lipstick until they are around 30. It's just my opinion, but it looks too made up on them. I think a brown shade looks better if they want something darker than pink.

One of the Regulars
    It's not a problem for me finding the right shade. I have three different shades that I wear, ranging from the *infamous* bright red shade, to a medium red, to a brown red. I don't like the brown red as much though.

After wearing red lipstick for that much consecutive time I feel kind of naked without it.

I agree that it does complete the look.

I've gotten nothing but compliments on my red lips. I've been wearing red lipstick almost exclusively since I was about 16.

I do, however, tend toward the "gothy" look when not vintage, so I think folks have just gotten used to it on me. And I will often blot it to a stain so that it doesn't look too garish.
    Silent Stanzas: poetry, photos, and anecdotes on silent film

I usually go for a more mauvy dark color during the day and save my sassy red lipstick for night.

But if you like then go ahead and wear it all you want sweetie!