Advertisements
Page 36 of 68 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: On yer bike!

Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by botty View Post

As requested here is a photo of my 1943 German army bicycle. I will try to take some better ones when it is back together after a crank repair if people are interested.
    Please do, more photos of this machine would be well appreciated on here I am sure.

Got myself an old Brooks saddle to attach the brass SAXON badge to. The original saddle has perished.
    Last edited by PADDY; 03-22-2012 at 11:49 AM.
    "Hot ginger and dynamite, There's nothing but that at night,
    Back in Nagasaki Where the fellers chew tobaccy and the
    women wicky-wacky Woo."

An Earl Grey in a sea of Latte...

Any pointers/recommendations to people/companies that produce DECALS for vintage bikes? The only one I can find that will produce some semblance of my SAXON 1930's decals (not completely accurate, but say they are 'close enough!') is Lloyds in England.
    Or is anyone out there good enough to reproduce from photos if I take shots from my bike?

It's decals/transfers I'm after for putting on the bike 'after' respray but before it gets lacquered.

Thanks for your help with this Gents (and Lady Cyclists too).
    women wicky-wacky Woo."

Paddy, just a thought but have you tried looking into whether you can get some sort of paper or film onto which you can print decals at home? I'm thinking here of having seen T shirt printer aper, even paper for temporary tattoos in PC World...... maybe some art shop that produces something?

Another alternative out of leftfield..... a few years ago my dad restored a wee Honda 360. Rare beast - the model never made it into the UK officially because of our insurance system (350cc was the cut off of one band, the next one was up to 500cc or thereabouts - Honda reckoned nobody wanted to be paying up an insurance class for the sake of an extra 10cc, so they ever imported it here). Dad's was privately shipped over originally by a US military guy. Lovely wee bike. Anyhoo... When he was finishing the restoration, he needed decals for the fuel tank. They were available as repro, but well expensive. For a fraction of the price, a local signwriter (guy up in Coleraine) painted the "decals" direct onto the tank. Airbrush, and a clearcoat over the top. Looked identical to the real thing, unless you looked really close. Not sure whether that might be an option here?
    If in doubt - overdress.

Vivienne Westwood

Paddy in the past I've traced off onto good quality but thin plain paper and painted in the design with acrylic paints, cut it out and stuck on with wood glue then varnished over the whole thing...I've one in the shed (a Potts 'special' ) that's been on at least 5 years and shows no sign of fading or coming off.
    Obviously you'll need to be a bit arty!

Now THAT does sound rather 'too much' like Rolf Harris or Tony Hart'ish for me!hahaa!
    actually, I'm not ruling it out as an option and it may just come to that, especially for the "POPULAR" decal.

I'm chuffed that I've managed to get the brass SAXON badge onto the old Brooks saddle.
    women wicky-wacky Woo."

Quote Originally Posted by PADDY View Post
    Any pointers/recommendations to people/companies that produce DECALS for vintage bikes? The only one I can find that will produce some semblance of my SAXON 1930's decals (not completely accurate, but say they are 'close enough!') is Lloyds in England.
    Or is anyone out there good enough to reproduce from photos if I take shots from my bike?

It's decals/transfers I'm after for putting on the bike 'after' respray but before it gets lacquered.

Thanks for your help with this Gents (and Lady Cyclists too).
    I might have just the ticket for you; if you go into just about any decent hobby shop that sells model kits and scale modeling materials, you will find water-transfer decal paper that you can put in your printer at home. You know the decals that you wet and then slide off the backing and onto the model? If you can get a good enough digital image of what you want to transfer, you can just print it out on the paper and transfer it right onto your bike just like decals for plastic model kits.

Naturally the decal by itself won't stand up to the elements, but if you make sure the surface is well prepped before you apply and spray some clear lacquer over top of it once it's applied, I imagine it will hold up just fine.

At the very least, if it doesn't work, you've invested very little cash in the attempt. Hope that helps you out!
    Last edited by Gin&Tonics; 03-24-2012 at 02:28 AM.
    http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9912/gtsig.jpg
    “Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”

If I recall corrrectly there were a few 'Popular' models from different makers, Lloyds may have a few, it may well be worth getting in touch with them.
    You can get single letters too so could at least get the popular for the seattube and saxon for the downtube sides, they wouldn't be exactly right but are better than nothing.
    I think whatever you choose to do the first thing you need is a very clear scan/photo of the correct headbadge before you can do anything, again you might try an ad in the N&V...there's an article on classic lightweights detailing how to make your own transfers by Keith Hellon IIRC?

Just a few things whilst I'm on the move here.

1. Some great ideas on the Transfers chaps. Been reading the Keith Hellon piece and will have to print it out and digest it as it doesn't appear 'easy,' but does appear to be very effective with the end results (if I can follow it!).

2. See PHOTOS attached:
    a) Have been attaching an old 'King of the Road' Lucas Bell (really need a smaller one for the 1938 Saxon - but they are 'so expensive' on the second hand market).

b) I was told by a few people that my 1930's celluloid mud-guards 'would never' be 'white' again (as they have yellowed with the years to an ivory). Well...didn't this silly Irishman use the good weather today to try some cheap acetone laden nail polish remover and fine wire wool on the celluloid? I just took my time and used very gentle movements with coffees in between, so no rush! Have a look at the results Gents..!! I've put a finished one beside one that hasn't been touched (iphone photos, so excuse the quality please).
    **The one on the left has been 'done.' The light and the photo quality doesn't 'really' show just how different they are. One is a light mustard colour (before), the other is a white (after). ***

iPhone Comms
    women wicky-wacky Woo."

Big bells were in in the 30's Paddy it looks fine to me, good job on the mudguards, autosol does a good job too, you might want to make an aluminium repair piece to go under the cracked rear mudguard then re rivet it through the stay mounts....these old guards being thin often crack and getting an early unblemished pair is nigh on impossible....yes Keiths piece does take some understanding but as you say the results are good.I'll stick with my Rolf Harris solution though I think as all it costs is time and patience!
    If you can get a good scan of the headbadge I'll happily acrylic over it then all you'll need to do is stick it on and varnish over it...FOC obviously.