Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Cologne and perfume

New In Town
    I I used to be into all sorts of different colognes, in fact I would have at least two different ones per season, but now I have simplified. I have gone back to the basics, Old Spice. I know to some of you guys I sure that is downright plebian, but my wife likes it, I get compliments from people on it and it reminds me of my dad.

Near the World's Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum
    Quote Originally Posted by steve the hat guy View Post
    I I used to be into all sorts of different colognes, in fact I would have at least two different ones per season, but now I have simplified. I have gone back to the basics, Old Spice. I know to some of you guys I sure that is downright plebian, but my wife likes it, I get compliments from people on it and it reminds me of my dad.
    No plebian references here. Old Spice reminds me of my father and grandfather. You can't argue with success.
    People think they are so rebellious and original, when really they are just banal, boring and dumb.

Anyone out there who remembers Dunhill Blend 30 and Yardley Original? Both dissappeared from the earth. Although: I always thought Dunhill Cologne (dating from the '30's) had gone. Well ... it gradually vanished from the shop shelves here in The Netherlands during the eighties. But two years ago I found out that Proctor & Gamble bought the brands and that Dunhill Cologne is still being made however is destined for 'a different market'. So basically you can still get it.

I'm looking for a new perfume that says "me". However, nothing has peaked my interest. I'm turning 40 this fall and want something that says "mature" but not "grandma".

"A List" Customer Bluebird Marsha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lframe View Post
    I'm looking for a new perfume that says "me". However, nothing has peaked my interest. I'm turning 40 this fall and want something that says "mature" but not "grandma".
    Is there a particular "style" of fragrance you like? Oriental (spicy), floral, woodsy, leather, chypre? Decisions, decisions

If you don't really have an idea of which direction to go, I'd suggest the "classic" perfume houses. Guerlain, Estee Lauder, and Chanel. Most major department stores carry at least a few perfumes from those lines. Maybe not the "best", but at least the best-sellers. I'll never understand why Chanel doesn't sell Cuir de Russie more widely. BOO!

If you want to go down the rabbit hole, I'd suggest two sites- the ones I ALWAYS recommend for fragrance.
    Now Smell This: http://www.nstperfume.com/ All the perfume reviews you ever wanted (and more, much much more).

If you feel like trying some "smells" out, but don't have access to stores with a wide selection, give The Perfumed Court a try: http://theperfumedcourt.com/ They have folks that sell perfume samples from everything. Okay, maybe not everything, but a heck of a lot of stuff. It's a good way to try before you buy.

Not to pry (but I will), what's your budget for a bottle, and are you looking for something you can wear every day, or for evenings out? Just my two cents, but for daily wear, Chanel 22 is great. It's distinctive, without being "too much". But you have to buy it online or at a Chanel boutique. Again, BOO! For a "special" perfume, I'd recommend Guerlain's L'Heure Bleue or Bottega Veneta (often available at nicer department stores), or Chanel's Cuir de Russie. (Yeah, boutique or online).

If you're feeling brave, order some samples of Serge Luten or Amouage fragrance- but check reviews first. Luten's can be "interesting" in a really good or really bad way. Amouage is fabulous- but the price can be... surprising. But at least it feels like you might be getting your money's worth. Actually, the Luten's is pricey too. And some of it they don't ship outside of Europe. Rather cruel. Iris Silver Mist is apparently one of the holy grails of perfume.
    Last edited by Bluebird Marsha; 05-07-2012 at 11:45 PM.
    To attract men, I wear a perfume called "New Car Interior."

One of the Regulars ThemThereEyes's Avatar
    It depends on my mood, but here are some that come to mind.
    Vintage - Guerlain L'heure Bleu and Fracas
    Modern - Penhaligon Bluebell, Marc Jacobs Daisy, Fresh Brown Sugar, Fresh Citron de Vigne, Tom Ford Portofino Neroli, Thierry Mugler Innocent Illusion (sadly discontinued), Thierry Mugler Angel, Tokyo Milk Dark Arsenic, Tokyo Milk Dark Chance, LUSH The Smell of Weather Turning, Jo Malone Orange Blossom, Jo Malone French Lime Blossom.

One of the Regulars ThemThereEyes's Avatar
    Iframe, for something different but not "grandma," you may find something from Tokyo Milk. They have very different scents that aren't "old."

Ols Spice cologne is the only one I use simply because there is not a single person in almost three years who have said me negative comments about it. Women love that smell !

Quote Originally Posted by suits lover View Post
    Ols Spice cologne is the only one I use simply because there is not a single person in almost three years who have said me negative comments about it. Women love that smell !
    There is just so much history involved with that scent. It reminds people of their fathers, grandfathers etc. Personally, it reminds me of my mother's father and he was a prince of a man. You just can't say anything negative when it might impune a relative or friend.
    People think they are so rebellious and original, when really they are just banal, boring and dumb.

Then again, there is always this too: