Page 130 of 336 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140180230 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 3352

Thread: The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Welcome, Adam! Those are some great hats, and some pretty fantastic photos. I always have a hard time describing good pictures... Something about the clarity in the foreground versus background, shadows, something... Looks great, though.

Cheers,
    flute -

Loads of great 1940's/50's/60's fedoras for sale in sizes 7 1/8 - 7 1/4, here.

Quote Originally Posted by monbla256 View Post
    Nice Borso's I especially like your M8
    It is a great camera... works much better when not pointing backwards at me.

Thanks very much for the comments and welcome!

Familiar Face
    Quote Originally Posted by alanfgag View Post
    Greetings! I've enjoyed drifting through the forum posts in recent days and thought I would share an introduction and story from a recent hat buying frenzy.

I've enjoyed hats for many years. For the past decade, I had a very close relationship with a Tilley hat that I wore constantly... until I lost it somehow a few weeks ago. I wound up buying another (a story for another post) but the experience moved me to look at my old vintage hats and hunt for some new options. A week or two later I returned with a couple of new hats and a few ebay purchases, including two very lovely older Borsalinos. The featherweight is my favorite - a beautiful hat from Salvatore Balbi's shop in Naples...simple, incredibly light and comfortable. The second hat was advertised as 1930s (aren't they all?)... probably not, but it does have a handsome gangster swagger and a relatively narrow brim that my small head favors. Both are in fine shape for hats that are a decade or two or three older than I am. I wish my details were as well preserved! Enclosing a few pictures - I hope you enjoy. Thanks for all the helpful knowledge shared here!

Alan

Wow, beautfiul hats! Welcome to the forum! I got to handle my first vintage Borsalino this past weekend, the quality is amazing. I love both of the hats you pictured, but I really love the second one with the wide ribbon. Wear them in good health!

Not mine--dating aid 1958

Thanks for posting that, Robert!

Cheers,
    JtL

How nice to have a date stamp! I haven't found anything on or under the leather band that can be clearly decoded to date my two hats. I am quite certain that both are older than I am, which is a novel and enjoyable experience these days!

I did also purchase recently two new Borsalino hats - an unlined crushable model and a Como - both in taupe. They are interesting to compare. The felt on both the new hats is softer and thicker, but the feel still speaks of quality. The inside craftsmanship cannot begin to compare with the vintage hats - a different animal altogether (as has been covered in many posts on this thread and elsewhere.) It is quite wonderful that many fine vintage hats with much of their life left in them remain available... a side benefit of the fedora's decline in popularity over the past 7 decades.

One thing that I find amazing in these Borsalinos both old and new is the weight... so light! They range from just over 2 ounces for the Balbi featherweight to about 3.5 ounces for the modern Como. All are much lighter than anything else I have in my closet... guess I'll save those heavyweights for the gusty days.

cheers,
    Alan

new Borsalino Como:

Last edited by alanfgag; 11-29-2010 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rlk View Post
    Stamped by the original German seller? The late 50s and on Echter Borsalinos all (at least mine do) have the cord sweatband bow.

Quote Originally Posted by alanfgag View Post
    How nice to have a date stamp! I haven't found anything on or under the leather band that can be clearly decoded to date my two hats. I am quite certain that both are older than I am, which is a novel and enjoyable experience these days!

I did also purchase recently two new Borsalino hats - an unlined crushable model and a Como - both in taupe. They are interesting to compare. The felt on both the new hats is softer and thicker, but the feel still speaks of quality. The inside craftsmanship cannot begin to compare with the vintage hats - a different animal altogether (as has been covered in many posts on this thread and elsewhere.) It is quite wonderful that many fine vintage hats with much of their life left in them remain available... a side benefit of the fedora's decline in popularity over the past 7 decades.

One thing that I find amazing in these Borsalinos both old and new is the weight... so light! They range from just over 2 ounces for the Balbi featherweight to about 3.5 ounces for the modern Como. All are much lighter than anything else I have in my closet... guess I'll save those heavyweights for the gusty days.

cheers,
    Alan

new Borsalino Como:

Alan this Borsa" looks very nice on you, that hat is one of my favourite กกกก
    any where, any place,be kind with animals, keep on warm walking, smiling and shadowing, life is plenty

still reaching for that brass ring

still reaching for that brass ring