Advertisements
Page 2 of 233 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The ones that got away

My Mail is Forwarded Here

More than one got away

Advertisements
    I know how you are all feeling. I don't have any pictures of all the ones that are getting away from me, but I keep missing out on auctions. I'm pretty new at this, but I've been an e-bayer for many years, and I thought I had a pretty good system down, but I guess I thought wrong! E-bay is my main source for buying vintage, because for some reason Boston doesn't have a great deal of stores for vintage clothing, and I don't sew(I do see lessons in my future!) Lately I have found myself staying up into the wee hours of the morning just so I can see if I won auctions. It just seems like I keep losing the auctions for the items that I really want! I feel all of your pain

Daisy, I know what you mean,I live in the UK so alot of the US auctions finish in the early hours over here! However I still do manage to get some little bargins so keep your eyes peeled for that speacial item that will complete a outfit!!

Gone Home
    Ladies, may I suggest using an automated sniping service? eBay itself owns one of these services, though it doesn't advertise the fact! Here you are:

www.auctionsniper.com

my personal favourite is http://www.esnipe.com, but I still manage to forget at times!

But don't you have to set a limit then? I don't know about you - but sometimes when I'm watching an auction of something I really want. . .I tend to overbid in the heat of the moment. . .
    Oh, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars.

My Mail is Forwarded Here

snipers

I've heard about those services, but don't they give you a monthly limit on your bids. Besides there is something fun about watching the last few minutes of an auction, waiting for that page to pop up that says "you have one this item". I just have to set my cell phone to beep a few minutes before the acution is up, so I can remember to bid!

Gone Home
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa
    But don't you have to set a limit then? I don't know about you - but sometimes when I'm watching an auction of something I really want. . .I tend to overbid in the heat of the moment. . .
    You set the limit in advance. Decide the maximum amount that you'd be willing to pay. Be disciplined.

As for sniper services limiting the monthly amount you can bid: there might be a limit, but it's far higher than I'd ever reach in a month.

I know what you mean, if its something you really MUST have you just can't help saying.. "oh just another $5, $10, $15, ect"

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Chevalier
    You set the limit in advance. Decide the maximum amount that you'd be willing to pay. Be disciplined.
    Disciplined on ebay? I'm sorry, that's just not computing.

I lost this one awhile back, but it still irks me. I desperately wanted this pattern, and bid an outrageous price on it and was outbid by a dollar or two. I sent the winner a very nice message, asking if there was any way I could pay her to copy it, even a bad copy I'd take. But *ahem* she never answered me.

So. Yes.
    Oh, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars.

Quote Originally Posted by maisie
    I know what you mean, if its something you really MUST have you just can't help saying.. "oh just another $5, $10, $15, ect"
    haha...and that's exactly why I like to snipe! If you bid ahead you give the other person time to go up just another $5, $10, $15, etc and then you end up paying more! Not that I haven't been guilty of that myself on occasion.... I still usually watch the end of the auction if it's something I really, really want.