Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is your favorite "forgotten singer"?

Pauline Byrne!

Earlier I asked you Gents and Laidies if you could help me find more songs preformed by "Pauline Byrne" (I was and still is terribly in love with her).

Guess what happened?

I stumbled across a geeky forum (like this ) about online games.
    And here some hardcore onlinegamer claims that his GRANDMOTHER in fact was Pauline Byrne! I have now contacted him and, well see what happens!

Im soooo exited!

from the forum www.got-next.com/:

"I know some of you've seen/heard this before, but the got next folks haven't. It's a real player song but it's my grandmother and it's wicked and I just listened to it for the first time in a while this morning.

It is a famous singer. Her name is Pauline Byrne and she did a lot in the 30's and early 40's. I have other songs with her and my grandfather with Nat King Cole, the Starlighters, and The Air Crew....although I do like their own stuff in a group called Six Hits and a Miss. This song is just cool, imo.

To answer your question, bypassing your foolishness....Yes, Billie Holiday also sang that song....as did many other people after my grandmother who sang it after someone else.

Here's where I got the link from....you can listen to the lyrics or read them. If you look at the list of singers, Billie Holiday is right under Artie Shaw and my grandmother. "
    "Get out of there boy! Dont you know that house is Haaanted!"

Hey Lars!!! Long time no see - hvordan går det over there????
    "There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!'

kpreed

Martha Tilton

I really like the singers of the 1940's and Martha Tilton is one of my top people. I have over two hours of her work and listen to her very,very often.

Hey Spitfire! Jeg har det forrygende.

Just a quick note spitty. Its late my friend

The gals and guys of the Lounge in L.A. were really nice and looked after me.
    But sadly (and good) im back in Denmark to work and get some dough, so i can go back for a third strafe round. Living in LA. almost with no income is tough. Are you copenhagen guys getting together for a christmas thing perhaps? Would be so nice to meet yall again.

Lars
    "Get out of there boy! Dont you know that house is Haaanted!"

he's comtemporary R&B, but does anyone else listen to Keith Sweat? i think he's kind of forgotten...
    If it's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

New In Town

Pauline Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by Hammelby
    Earlier I asked you Gents and Laidies if you could help me find more songs preformed by "Pauline Byrne" (I was and still is terribly in love with her).

Guess what happened?

I stumbled across a geeky forum (like this ) about online games.
    And here some hardcore onlinegamer claims that his GRANDMOTHER in fact was Pauline Byrne! I have now contacted him and, well see what happens!

Im soooo exited!

from the forum www.got-next.com/:

"I know some of you've seen/heard this before, but the got next folks haven't. It's a real player song but it's my grandmother and it's wicked and I just listened to it for the first time in a while this morning.

It is a famous singer. Her name is Pauline Byrne and she did a lot in the 30's and early 40's. I have other songs with her and my grandfather with Nat King Cole, the Starlighters, and The Air Crew....although I do like their own stuff in a group called Six Hits and a Miss. This song is just cool, imo.

To answer your question, bypassing your foolishness....Yes, Billie Holiday also sang that song....as did many other people after my grandmother who sang it after someone else.

Here's where I got the link from....you can listen to the lyrics or read them. If you look at the list of singers, Billie Holiday is right under Artie Shaw and my grandmother. "
    Pauline was my great aunt, and was a very nice lady. She lived in the Hoquiam, Washington area before she went to California and was the "Miss" in Six Hits and a Miss. She had a great voice, but the groups rise ended when two of the Hits went to war, although she was in the Starlighters for a time. Six Hits and a Miss did hold the record for the longest title for a song with "Would you rather be a colonel with an eagle on your shoulder, or a private with a chicken on your knee?". They were on Bob Hope's Pepsident Radio show for quite awhile, and they recorded "Thanks for the Memories" before Hope made it famous. Her recording of "Gloomy Sunday" was pulled from the shelves, because it was linked to a number of suicides. A number of artists have recorded it over the years, and I understand it was originally called the Polish suicide song. You can see Pauline in several movies like "The Big Store" with the Marx Brothers, "The big boradcast of 1938" with W.C. Fields, and " Down Argentine Way" with Don Ameche. I am so glad people still enjoy her voice.

On "The Street" - 52nd Street, any time between 1935 and 1955.
    On my radio show, I play two Pauline Byrne songs that she recorded with Artie Shaw. "Don't Fall Asleep" swings like mad. And "Gloomy Sunday", which, IMHO is the best particular version of that song, from a vocal and instrumental POV.

My favorite forgotten/overlooked singers are:

Lee Wiley (one of the finest voices of early jazz)
    Lee Wiley

Maxine Sullivan

Herb Jeffries (last of the 40's Duke Ellington Orchestra still living). He still preforms!

Herb Jeffries
    "Sweet & Hot" ~ Jazz, Swing, and Rhythm & Blues - CiTR 101.9 FM podcast!

Bobby Fuller... Jackie Deshannon...

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieH.
    I'm with you, Charlie -- I'm a big Annette Hanshaw fan.

Listening to some Jan Savitt broadcasts recently reminded me of just how good a singer Carlotta Dale was -- somewhat similar to Bea Wain, but with a bit more substance. And Savitt's male vocalist, George "Bon Bon" Tunnell, was pretty darn good too.
    The humblest citizen in all the land, when clad in the armor of a righteous cause, is stronger than all the hosts of error. -- William Jennings Bryan