Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sky Captain hair

"A List" Customer

Sky Captain hair

Does anyone know where I can find good reference photos of Gwyneth Paltrow's hair as Polly Perkins in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow? I can find a few from the front, but I haven't found anything that really shows what is going on up there. When I was watching the movie I saw that they looked like they were almost rolls but not quite, but I didn't get screencaps.

Or does anyone know what was going on up there and can tell me what to do?

BV

This was a really cool looking movie, and entertaining! Until you mentioned it I had forgotten about the hair, I am pretty sure it is a wig, but it does look fantastic!

This war is like an actress who is getting old. It is less and less photogenic and more and more dangerous. Robert Capa

Here's a good side picture:

To me it looks like the sides are loosely pulled back (with a slight twist, but not a true roll) and secured with combs. Similar to this style, but with the side section slightly twisted before being secured:

"A List" Customer
    Awesome, thanks guys! (I need to rent that movie again and get some screencaps.) I remember there's like one shot that comes from over her head and I just jumped out of my seat and shouted "HAIR!"

You're probably right about it being a wig, but I think it's fabulous on her. ^_^

And I just learned something about where to go for style advice. ^_^ I asked over on a movie-costuming board I frequent, and so far everyone is saying I need finger waves and glue-in hair extensions. ...

Thanks again!
    BV

"A List" Customer
    Quote Originally Posted by jitterbugdoll
    Here's a good side picture:

To me it looks like the sides are loosely pulled back (with a slight twist, but not a true roll) and secured with combs. Similar to this style, but with the side section slightly twisted before being secured:
    that's a great shot ... I'll take it to my stylist and see if she "gets it."

Do you have recommendations for how to go about it? I'd like the smoothness of Paltrow's look (the texture seems a little modern to me, but I like it). Do you think hot rollers or a curling iron would get that? (If someone else were wielding the iron?) I find my hair responds well to heat for un-frizzing, and it holds a curl very well.

maybe I'll play with it tonight. ^_^

I need finger waves and glue-in hair extensions. ...
    Nah, that's just a loose roller set--nothing too difficult to reproduce at all

i love the visuals in this movie.

<sigh>
    Remember.

"A List" Customer
    Quote Originally Posted by jitterbugdoll
    Nah, that's just a loose roller set--nothing too difficult to reproduce at all
    Thanks! Heh ... yeah. I'm confining my hair advice requests to the FL from now on. I was sort of like "What?? Finger wave? Gluing *what* to my head? OK... you guys are on crack. I'll come back when I need giant Sephiroth bangs."

Excellent. ^_^ I'll try it out tonight and see how it turns out. Do you think the dip on the left side of her head will be difficult? (her left, right of the screen.) Right to the left of the part it all goes up, then it all comes down towards her eye, then it all goes up again ... that kind of uniformity totally baffles my hair. I guess I'll just have to mess with it and see.

BV

You are too funny

Excellent. ^_^ I'll try it out tonight and see how it turns out. Do you think the dip on the left side of her head will be difficult? (her left, right of the screen.) Right to the left of the part it all goes up, then it all comes down towards her eye, then it all goes up again ... that kind of uniformity totally baffles my hair. I guess I'll just have to mess with it and see.
    I'd set it with curlers (I always prefer Hot Sticks; on hair that length you woné─˘t get an ultra tight é─˙Shirley Templeé─¨ curl) rolled under and towards the face (2-3 for the front section on the side with the most hair.) I think the easiest way to achieve this particular look would be to brush the curls out vigorously to create subtle waves, and then gather the hair back smoothly, pushing it forward to create that loosely waved front portion, and securing it with a comb. When I first became interested in vintage style and hadn't yet learned how to roll my hair, I used to do this style a lot. I always received a lot of compliments on it

I sometimes use those tiny rubber bands, and make little pony tails before twisting or rolling, they will be covered up anyway...I don't really think of it as cheating
    This war is like an actress who is getting old. It is less and less photogenic and more and more dangerous. Robert Capa