Page 62 of 1127 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364721121625621062 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your hair do's....

Practically Family
    Oharias, I was able to get that info you posted earlier this week and am so grateful. It actually helped me to do my curlers today.

I wasn't planning on doing perm rods I swear. I was desperate at the time because my pin curls were a disaster due to the fact that I bought large pins that couldn't hold the hurt. They came in handy today because it helped to hole my curlers in.

Kimberly I think your set looks great! I don't think it's too tight. You're such a cutie.. those dimples!!

About pin curls or sets coming out too tight.. remember that everyone brushed thru their sets after taking the rollers out, there wasn't much "finger styling" or loose, spirally curls back then.

Mine is super tight after taking out the sponge rollers. I brush it the first day once, but tend to leave it alone so it will last longer later! I can get 3-4 days out of a set.

Another tip is to be sure you're rolling the same amount of hair on each roller, and don't twist or spiral the hair onto the roller. The ends should always be wound smoothly onto the roller first. As you're rolling the hair up, rock the roller back and forth *ever so slightly*, this will help it roll evenly and without TOO much tension. Again, perm papers help with this!

Nikki

New In Town
    I have long hair. Very long hair. Tailbone length hair. And I know this is maybe vintage 1870, but certainly not 1930. At the very least, I do occasionally try to curl it for very special occasions. I doubt pincurls would ever work right, as I just have too much hair but I have three different sizes of foam rollers (small, medium, and large) that I use to curl my hair. Sleeping on them is a nightmare, and when they come out, the curls are every which way and so haphazard.

My question is: does anyone know if I should use the rollers in a very defined and sectioned pattern (like rows) for a better effect, or would it turn my hair into one giant curl? Should I use the large curlers on the underside of my hair and the small curlers at the crown, or vice-versa?

I'd just play and experiment, except that curling my hair is a four-hour endeavor - not including the 12 hours I have to spend in them curlers after I get them in! **

With hair that long Miss Bri, it will amost always turn out more spirally, esp. depending on what type of hair you have.
    Here's a pic of mine set on sponge rollers when my hair was almost waist lenth. I did the larger on bottom, then medium, then small on top. But I could've just used the same all over of whichever I chose. This was like day 2 if I remember right. I didn't brush it tho, I wanted a more spirally do.
    http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ohairas/...803643075566/7

Yes, we should always try to section our hair in even parts or rows for a better set.

It depends on the look you're going for.. you could try this.. putting your hair in ponytails all over and then rolling the sections down with either the sponge rollers or hot rollers. You'd need at least two sets of hot rollers, !

The long hot stick type rollers would be great for you as well, but again, will be more spirally.

Actually, standup pincurls and barrel curls would be best as a wet set, but you may want to go to a hair school and have them done.. sit under the dryer. It would be worth it for a special occasion. Without any rollers in the centers it would dry much quicker.

Nikki

I love my short hair.

Just remembered another technique for curling extra long hair.. mainly used for perming, but no reason you couldn't try it with rollers! It's called piggy-backing.

Take the strand of hair and wind it around a roller starting about half way up the strand, leaving second half(the end) out. Secure roller, sponge ones might be best for this. Wind remaining length of hair around another roller.
    This will get more curl/wave near the scalp. Rollers will sit on top of each other.

Nikki

"A List" Customer
    Miss Bri, another thing you might try for a vintage look is making fingerwaves on the top half of your head then collecting the rest into a bun, roll, or mass of curls at the base of your neck, or a snood.

Just an idea I had.

--Leslie
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "I can't be having with this."

Snookie... Just note that wearing hats with those grippers at a tilt is incorrect. I just use them to my advantage. I wouldn't wear the pink hat at a tilt because it is too big, but since the black hat is round and smaller, I think it makes an ok saucer hat.

Kimberly... Yes, they are made to hold the hat (gently) to the head when worn properly. When I wear them on a tilt, it is incorrect... I just take advantage of those holds being there and push a bobbypin through for extra security. Also, what styles are you looking to achieve with your hair? Depending on if you are looking for a 30's, 40's, or 50's look, it will determine what, where, and how to place your hair, no matter what technique you use. From what I can tell in your new avatar, it looks like you have a fine 50's style happening.

ohairas... Thank you!! You are too sweet!!!

Pink Dahlia... Thanks! The grippers aren't made to elevate the hat into a tilt, I just like to adapt the hat to my style. When worn correctly the grippers should be hugging your head.

Hamilton Honey... GREAT HAIR!!!
    For what it's worth, I've loved you since Tuesday.
    http://vintagestarlet.blogspot.com/

Perming Rods

I wear these hard plastic rollers in my hair all day and then sleep in them to achieve these styles.
    (day one)
    (day two -- brushed out - no reset)
    (in only over night)
    (in one whole day and then slept in, taken out next morning)

Hot Sticks

Hot sticks give me these looks:

(I have long hair here, I bobby pinned my hair under)