Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage maternity and vintage clothes for kids

Practically Family NicolettaRose's Avatar

Vintage maternity and vintage clothes for kids

No, I am not pregnant, but I am just wondering, was there such a thing as maternity back in the 1920's, 1930's and 1940's, or did people just wear bigger clothing? Those of you who dress in vintage and have been pregnant, what did you do? Did you buy bigger vintage clothing, or just go with modern stuff? Also, I was just wondering if anyone dresses thier kids in vintage? If so I would LOVE to see pics!
    I used to be snow white, but I drifted..... Mae West

There was definately maternity!! I have these patterns from the 40's:

I really love how the designers used pleats, gathers and belts instead of elastic and spandex. These styles would work all the way through your pregnancy, keeping conscious of the cloth rations- it's really ingenious!!

One of the Regulars
    hey

those women don't look pregnant to me
    Those were the headlines. God I wish they weren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmababy
    hey

They never do.

LD

Quote Originally Posted by Emmababy
    hey

They don't look pregnant because it was taboo. Women weren't depicted as pregnant publically until Mary Kay on the "Mary Kay and Johnny" sitcom in the late forties. It was still taboo to even say "pregnant" or "pregnancy" into the mid-fifties.

I just received a 1951 "glamour guide" type book in the mail today, and there's a whole chapter devoted to maternity wear and how to remain fashionable while pregnant. I can maybe take some photos of the drawings and photos if you would like (no scanner).

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere, Tenessee
    When I was pregnant, the only patterns I could afford were vintage. (Read that as the only ones I got were free, and from old ladies, so they were vintage).

Big shirts in the 50's were really a big deal for pregnant ladies, ala Lucille Ball on her show. Lots of swing style shirts, pedal pushers and skirts with enough elastic to scare you (but form fitting everywhere from under the belly down.) I had one that actually started under the belly. But I looked like I was swimming in them.

My son loves Hawaiian shirts. He also likes the boxiness of the 50's style versus the modern ones. So I've got a man's sized one that I cut down for him. Other then that, he's really not into the whole vintage thing at all.
    Elaina

"Elegance is refusal."
    -Coco Chanel

I love the Lucy-style pedal pushers with the big blouse. That's gonna be my uniform when I get pregnant!

I LOVE those vintage maternity patterns... genious is right!! I wish I would've thought of looking for them when I was pregnant!

I do try to find vintage items for my son, (he'll be 2 in April), but it's much harder finding something cute for him, vs. a girl.
    Here's a pic in a little vintage balloon outfit I had found,
    http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ohairas/...03642573208/40
    It has little trains stiched on it.
    I have many pics of him wearing "somewhat" vintage items that were his daddy's, such as his baptism outfit and booties (not a very good pic, but you get the idea), my husband was born in '68.
    http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ohairas/...803642633010/1

This little cowboy vest was my dad's from the 50's,
    http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ohairas/...03642576324/46

He probably won't wear this till he's about 8 but I had to have it.. it is mint too, sooooo cute!!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150063870874

I also have some smocked outfits, little shirts and shorts that button "onto" them. The lady that made my wedding dress made them, very cute and retro!

I'm currently looking for something cute for his 2nd birthday pics.
    Nikki

Nikki, you should check out the little kid section in Macy's. I know there's a brand that makes really adorable "vintage-inspired", I suppose, outfits for boys. Like little polo shirts with cars from the 30's embroidered on them with khaki overalls and little newspaper boy-type hats. Very cute stuff!