Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair Removal

Hair Removal

Has anyone had laser hair removal, or electrolosis? What did you think about the process and results?

Anyone use one of those cheapo electrolosis gadgets at home?

Nikki

I had electrolysis a while back -- I'd always had a bit of fuzz on my upper lip that I got tired of bleaching and waxing and plucking, and finally decided to do something permanent about it.

My electrologist was a real peach -- turned out to be a good friend who gave me a break on the cost, which helped a lot. Painwise, it took some getting used to -- some people need topical anaesthetic creme before they can stand it, but I was able to endure without too much problem, except for right under the nose. *That* hurt. I also had her work on my eyebrows a bit, and that did get a bit uncomfortable too, especially where the skin is really thin.

Most zaps don't kill the hair the first time thru, because hair grows in cycles -- so you'll have to keep going for a while to clear everything you're trying to clear. But as far as I know, needle electrolysis is still the only method that's really truly permanent.
    The humblest citizen in all the land, when clad in the armor of a righteous cause, is stronger than all the hosts of error. -- William Jennings Bryan

I had a friend who had her leg and unerarm hair zapped. She loved the outcome, tells me about it whenever the topic (no pun intended) of hair comes up

Id do it too, but Id still be concerned about skin color reaction to specific processes. YOu should have nothing to worry about

LD

Lady Day, I remember reading something about a ruby laser that is recommended for dark skin tones. It has a lesser chance of causing keloidal scarring and such.

GoldLeaf
    Laser hair removal is supposed to be a big thing. I hear ads on the raido all the time for something called Sona Med Spa. Just found the link http://www.sonamedspa.com/

Supposed to be great. Who knows, never had it.

I hear that laser is supposed to feel like rubber bands snapping on your skin. But it would get a lot more area at once, as where electolosis is one hair at a time, right?

Yes, skin color can be worrisome.. I have a client who had her face done and had a very bad reaction.. all is clear now, but you know.. I forgot to ask her last time if the hair stopped growing or not, ! People who know what they are doing are supposed to either turn the gadget down or use a special light for darker skin or whatever; but I have heard that only certain facilities have the special lights. And I definitely think I'd do a tester somewhere other than my face first!

Nikki

GoldLeaf
    I read on Sona's site that they have multiple lasers at each location and they specalize it to your skin. They have a bunch of locations across the country, rather than a small operation. I don't know if that makes them more or less reliable

When I was looking into my own options, I came across an excellent hair removal resource -- http://www.hairfacts.com. Lots of reviews and information on different techniques and methods.

Needle electro is indeed one hair at a time, but a good electrologist can cover a good sized area in an hour's session. Mine could clear my entire upper lip in about half an hour without missing a beat.
    The humblest citizen in all the land, when clad in the armor of a righteous cause, is stronger than all the hosts of error. -- William Jennings Bryan

I REALLY want to have this done but am saving hard for another procedure so electrolysis will come later. Please let us know if you have it done!

One of the Regulars
    oooh
    *speculates*
    Those were the headlines. God I wish they weren't.